Apple LED 24" on a PC

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
Is anyone running an Apple LED 24" on their PC?

If so, could you describe your video card and connectivity set up. Also, are you able to make screen adjustments (e.g. brightness, etc) from Windows? Does the iSight and sound work?

I have an Asus P5Q-EM uATX with Intel integrated graphics, and wanting to get the Apple display, but not sure what I need for connection options and what is currently available.

Thanks.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
I'm not. I'm thinking about picking up a HD 5970 w/ the Mini DisplayPort to drive my 27" iMac screen, but if you want to use the 24", I'd suggest this:

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html

Don't know how well it'll work, but hopefully it's better quality than those Apple MiniDisplayPort to Dual-Link adapters (those are output only, of course).

Thanks. Since I only have onboard video right now, I don't mind getting a descrete video card, if that would be a simpler solution. Can I just get a video card with mini displayport or do I also need special cables, or can I just get an adapter, or do I need an actual converter like the Altona? It's all still a bit confusing.

Is Mini Displayport the name of the signal or the connector, or both? What do you mean by the adapter being 'output only'?

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Thanks. Since I only have onboard video right now, I don't mind getting a descrete video card, if that would be a simpler solution. Can I just get a video card with mini displayport or do I also need special cables, or can I just get an adapter, or do I need an actual converter like the Altona? It's all still a bit confusing.

Is Mini Displayport the name of the signal or the connector, or both? What do you mean by the adapter being 'output only'?

mini displayport is the name of the connector. the original is displayport, but apple uses a smaller version, called mini displayport because...well its tiny, and you know how apple is with minimalism. :)

the monoprice adapter is output only...meaning it will convert the signal going OUT from whatever device to vga/dvi/hdmi. the adapter that PCTC2 linked to is what you are looking for, something that will convert the signal going from the monitor. basically you are looking for something that will do the opposite - converting the monitor output instead of the device (laptop, gpu, etc) output.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
I don't understand, doesn't the gpu drive or to some extend control what you see on the monitor? In other words isn't the signal being received by the monitor? What is monitor 'output'?

Even the description from the product link implies the signal is FROM the DVI of the computer to the monitor, not the other way around:

"The Atlona AT-DP200 is a DVI to Mini DisplayPort converter designed to convert every Mac or PC computer's DVI or mini-DVI signal to a digital signal over a Mini DisplayPort connector"

If I had a Mini Displayport video card, it sounds like I could just get the apprpriate Mini Displayport connector and plug one into the other. Or if I just had a displaport video card, then I could plug a displayport-to-mini displayport adapter into the monitor.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
The Apple LED 24" only accepts displayport signals. I have a new Apple LED 24" and an older MacBook Pro with a DVI out video interface. I am in the process of buying one of the Atlona devices (actually, my company is) so that it can convert the DVI signal from my MacBook, and turn it into a displayport signal which it sends to my display. The display only accepts a displayport signal.

DVI is easily compatible with HDMI, a $15 dongle will convert between the two. HDMI is basically DVI video plus audio. The video portion of HDMI is electrically the same as DVI. However, Displayport is electrically different than DVI and therefore requires an active (and more expensive) converter.

Luddite

Nov 24, 2003
The Apple LED 24" only accepts displayport signals. I have a new Apple LED 24" and an older MacBook Pro with a DVI out video interface. I am in the process of buying one of the Atlona devices (actually, my company is) so that it can convert the DVI signal from my MacBook, and turn it into a displayport signal which it sends to my display. The display only accepts a displayport signal.

DVI is easily compatible with HDMI, a $15 dongle will convert between the two. HDMI is basically DVI video plus audio. The video portion of HDMI is electrically the same as DVI. However, Displayport is electrically different than DVI and therefore requires an active (and more expensive) converter.

I would be very interested in your experience with the Atlona converter. Especially since the Apple LED doesn't have any buttons or menus on it, not even a power button. So I'd be curious to see if you are able to do any screen adjustments (ie. brightness, etc.) from Windows or the graphics card. Also wondering how it works with Windows hibernate.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007

The only discrete card right now with MD is the HD 5970 that'll run you 600-700.

If you could find a Displayport to MiniDisplayPort adapter, you could use one of the lower HD 5000 series, but I couldn't find any. Your best bet is probably the Atlona.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Better find a video card with Apple display port out. Otherwise buy a mac.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

That plus this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042804&p_id=6502&seq=1&format=2 (posted in Luddite's other thread) and any DisplayPort card should do the trick.

Most LCDs with displayport have a female DP port on the monitor, but the Apple LED has a male miniDP plug on the end of a fixed cable. So, a gender changer is needed to use another cable that has a male DP on one end and miniDP on the other. I am not aware of an adapter that converts a male miniDP to a male DP, which would be the ideal solution for someone with the Apple LED and video card with a DP out.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
That plus this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042804&p_id=6502&seq=1&format=2 (posted in Luddite's other thread) and any DisplayPort card should do the trick.

Most LCDs with displayport have a female DP port on the monitor, but the Apple LED has a male miniDP plug on the end of a fixed cable. So, a gender changer is needed to use another cable that has a male DP on one end and miniDP on the other. I am not aware of an adapter that converts a male miniDP to a male DP, which would be the ideal solution for someone with the Apple LED and video card with a DP out.

Yeah. Thanks VIRGE and Nitromullet. I was looking for those around but only looked quickly.