Apple gets $207.8 million in incentives for Iowa data center

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What does that have to do with the question?

Everything. Your question posits the falsehood that Repubs are scamming the country out of social spending when it's based on the realities of age, income & disability.

Shee-it, Sherlock. Part of the reason low income whites are as poor as they are is because they're too proud to accept gubmint help when it would be to their benefit. They hate the idea of ending up on welfare. They'd see themselves as failures.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The only way the City loses money is if the adjusted property tax doesn't cover the increased municipal costs associated with the data center, which is highly unlikely. Good paying jobs are precious...especially for a backwater community like Waukee.

Edit: This is a huge WIN for Waukee. Here's a link for those interested in a little thing called 'reality'.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ate-50-full-time-jobs/?utm_term=.adf68b258cde

As long as the tax credits aren't refundable, I agree with this. Seems, unlike the Foxconn deal, that there is no money actually paid out and instead, just a credit toward reducing tax liability. While the tax credits may be high, and I can see reason for existing business to say "What about us?", I don't see this as a bad deal. Now if existing companies start pulling out to other states for generous tax credits, well, you are reaping what you sow in that case.

Also, if states/cities start doing this en-mass and end up with not enough tax revenue to cover services and costs, well that's on them. I'm sure that they will look to the individual to make up the difference in that case. They always do.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As long as the tax credits aren't refundable, I agree with this. Seems, unlike the Foxconn deal, that there is no money actually paid out and instead, just a credit toward reducing tax liability. While the tax credits may be high, and I can see reason for existing business to say "What about us?", I don't see this as a bad deal. Now if existing companies start pulling out to other states for generous tax credits, well, you are reaping what you sow in that case.

Also, if states/cities start doing this en-mass and end up with not enough tax revenue to cover services and costs, well that's on them. I'm sure that they will look to the individual to make up the difference in that case. They always do.

Race to the bottom. Meanwhile, beat the cash out of the little guys with increased sales taxes, sin taxes, energy taxes & you name it hidden taxes of all sorts. They're probably trying to figure out bootstrap taxes.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Race to the bottom. Meanwhile, beat the cash out of the little guys with increased sales taxes, sin taxes, energy taxes & you name it hidden taxes of all sorts. They're probably trying to figure out bootstrap taxes.

Like I said above, if it means that there's not enough taxes for the services needed and they end up raising them, most likely, on the individual (or other business), that's on them and, IMO, a bad deal at that point.

But on the surface, this isn't nearly as bad as a deal as the Foxconn deal....hell, it's not only not in the same ballpark, it's not in the same world.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Everything. Your question posits the falsehood that Repubs are scamming the country out of social spending when it's based on the realities of age, income & disability.

Shee-it, Sherlock. Part of the reason low income whites are as poor as they are is because they're too proud to accept gubmint help when it would be to their benefit. They hate the idea of ending up on welfare. They'd see themselves as failures.

No, the republicans only need to scam people like you into shilling for them. So they can go on about mexican rapists, muslim terrorists, defend the nazis/klan, elect the birther magnate, and dumbshit tier democrats still insist that's all about a bad economy not racism. Those poor trump voters averaging 72k annual income are the real victims here.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So all these red areas race to the bottom on taxation while the blue ones pay for all their welfare. Dumbshits show know a great deal when they see one.
No, the republicans only need to scam people like you into shilling for them. So they can go on about mexican rapists, muslim terrorists, defend the nazis/klan, elect the birther magnate, and dumbshit tier democrats still insist that's all about a bad economy not racism. Those poor trump voters averaging 72k annual income are the real victims here.

Yep- rich Trump voters scamming the country out of welfare money... as if that makes any sense at all.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Seems like a pretty ridiculous incentive for a company sitting on 260+ billion in cash right now. Looks like the people of Iowa are on the hook for all Apple's state taxes and labor costs for the next 20 years at which time Apple will ask for the incentives to be renewed or relocate to the nearest state stupid enough to offer a similar deal.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I find it ludicrous simply because of the amount of money apple has, and how little jobs data centers will provide.

I don't fault Iowa for trying to get something like this though.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I find it ludicrous simply because of the amount of money apple has, and how little jobs data centers will provide.

I don't fault Iowa for trying to get something like this though.

True, can't fault degenerates for acting in their rational self-interest when there's no penalty for it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
True, can't fault degenerates for acting in their rational self-interest when there's no penalty for it.

Yep. Iowa turned into a buncha racist degens after they voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 & 2012... or maybe that doesn't explain anything at all other than your own warped POV.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yep. Iowa turned into a buncha racist degens after they voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 & 2012... or maybe that doesn't explain anything at all other than your own warped POV.

No, the racists were always there, waiting for a birther magnate to vote for. The people under that rock Trump kicked over all riled up about mexican rapists didn't vote for Obama no matter what their guardian angel believes.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, the racists were always there, waiting for a birther magnate to vote for. The people under that rock Trump kicked over all riled up about mexican rapists didn't vote for Obama no matter what their guardian angel believes.

That doesn't make the govt of Iowa racist degenerates, which was your claim.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So, the reason Iowa cut such a sweet deal for apple is... Racist Degens, obviously.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm just not sure what you mean.

There is a penalty. Most of the data centers I visit have a couple security guards, one or two maintenance guys, and very few still have operations centers that aren't outsourced. And don't leave out the janitorial guy. So on a visit for me, there might be 5-10 people at the data center at one time.

Not many jobs from data centers, and system administrators can be anywhere in the world.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This isn't anything new. Government has been providing bonds, money, land, free military service as an incentive since the building of the railroads. Government has been a resource diversion to make those connected to the government wealthy since forever. Those expecting that to change are severely deluded.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
That doesn't make the govt of Iowa racist degenerates, which was your claim.
So, the reason Iowa cut such a sweet deal for apple is... Racist Degens, obviously.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.

Just look at how desperately your sort want to defend trumpsters from any accusation of racism, even more so than trump himself. You were in such a tizzy you didn't even notice you kept replying to the same post.

I'm just not sure what you mean.

There is a penalty. Most of the data centers I visit have a couple security guards, one or two maintenance guys, and very few still have operations centers that aren't outsourced. And don't leave out the janitorial guy. So on a visit for me, there might be 5-10 people at the data center at one time.

Not many jobs from data centers, and system administrators can be anywhere in the world.

If a state is undercutting others with these profane tax cuts, it's entirely righteous of the rest to withhold their charity tax money from the offender(s). A rather quick lesson would be learned instead of encouraging the behavior as the GOP always sucker the dumbest democrats into.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just look at how desperately your sort want to defend trumpsters from any accusation of racism, even more so than trump himself. You were in such a tizzy you didn't even notice you kept replying to the same post.

Only you can frame this development in terms of Racist Degens. You seem to think that concept is the explanation for everything. It's your standard leap of faith away from rationality, apparently some sort of quasi-religious incantation, kinda like voting for Trump only different.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Only you can frame this development in terms of Racist Degens. You seem to think that concept is the explanation for everything. It's your standard leap of faith away from rationality, apparently some sort of quasi-religious incantation, kinda like voting for Trump only different.

It's pretty obvious what people all riled up about pardoning sheriff joe are about, they certainly weren't there to hear about data centers. Well, obvious to people who aren't desperately motivated to absolve trumpsters of racism.

Nov 30, 2006
How recently have you been there? Waukee has seen tremendous growth. It isn't isolated any more. It's one contiguous urban area from eastern Des Moines to the west edge of Waukee. The area between Waukee and Adel is filling in, too, especially along Hickman/Hwy 6. It's a whole lot different that it was 20 years ago.
I used to visit Waukee at least 2 times a year to see my Mother over the past 20-25 years...until she passed about 2 years ago. I know the area well...and yes it's different than 20 years ago...definitely growing, but it's still a backwater imo.

Just curious, where are you getting your information?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Hopefully Apple will hire Dreamers as support staff for those data centers.