Apple G5 home video. Take off plastic cover and fans jump to max.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
See here.

I like way everything is controlled. You don't need the aluminum cover, but you need the plastic cover inside to keep air moving. That way everything is quiet.

As soon as you remove the plastic cover, all fans jump to max, and the CPUs throttle down in speed.

I also like how the CD bay cover slides out of the way.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Ya, it's an interesting system, although I have to admit I'm a bit worried that over time, the cover sensor will break. We'll see I suppose...

PS Did you catch word of IBM's new compiler for the G5?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: boyRacer
Link
Thanks. Fixed.

Originally posted by: ViRGE
Ya, it's an interesting system, although I have to admit I'm a bit worried that over time, the cover sensor will break. We'll see I suppose...

PS Did you catch word of IBM's new compiler for the G5?
Yeah. I wonder how much the sensor parts cost.

Those new XL series compilers definitely seem interesting. I'm not a tech guy but I'm told the AIX versions are quite good. Initial tests with the Mac OS X beta over at Ars suggest that the integer performance is not much better than GCC 3.3, but the FP performance is overall significantly faster. Performance from compiled Fortran code is supposedly MUCH faster, at least with the NASA benchmark according to the guy who authored it. IBM's SPEC numbers comparing xlf and gcc/f77 also suggest the same on the AIX platform. The compilers should provide a nice boost to SPECfp. I guess this is one reason why Apple/IBM haven't submitted Power Mac SPEC results yet (assuming they ever do). The FP just wasn't impressive enough with GCC.

In any case, it definitely shows how close the IBM and Apple relationship is. I only wonder how much the non-beta xlc/xlf will cost, esp. since it seems this new XL series is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for GCC.

Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
too bad it doesn't run Virtual PC so if you need to run any PC apps you'll need a second box.
Yeah, something about "little endian mode". :p Anyways, Microsoft said the next release will run on the G5, whenever that might be.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Thats cool. But not worth the $2k price tag.
Yeah, for the performance-obsessed AnandTech types, probably the only one that would be worth it would be dual 2.0. It's comparatively priced to the dual Xeon 2.8s. The single 1.8 is more expensive than a similar speed P4 though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
9 fans:) i like how it has both a plasticc window and a metal cover. major gripe i have with pc windows is they make it much more delicate when moving case around.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: bernse
Damn I hate Quicktime.
Yeah, QT on Windows ain't the best. It works fine for me on Win 2000 and Win XP, but on NT it sucks @ss. Works beautifully on OS X though of course.

I hope iTunes for Windows is better than QuickTime for Windows. Or maybe they should just forget about NT support. Stick to 2000/XP or later.