Apple events are dead?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Or this forum is dying. I don't know which. Came to look at the commentary on the Apple event. No commentary. Here, All Things Apple, Off Topic.

What has happened?

Biggest change to the iPhone in its history and no one is even discussing. Crazy times we live in. Apple is surely doomed.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I guess when you release a flagship phone for $1k in late 2017 with only a laughable 2GB of ram no one cares.

Reactions: Linflas

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I always thought my Galaxy S6 was the perfect smartphone design. Good to see Apple copy it for the iPhone 8. Too bad you still don't get AMOLED screen for your $700.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This is the year of the selfie. They've talked about selfies for the past 5 minutes. Cell phone tech is now dead to me in its current form.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This forum is an android forum. What do you expect?

Go on macrumors. The keynote thread has over 1500 posts already. New page every 10 seconds.

People on this forum for the most part don't know anything about what makes a good phone or good technology. So they buy Samsung and defend their phone after it burns their house down.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
This forum is an android forum. What do you expect?

Go on macrumors. The keynote thread has over 1500 posts already. New page every 10 seconds.

People on this forum for the most part don't know anything about what makes a good phone or good technology. So they buy Samsung and defend their phone after it burns their house down.

:D

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Missed the live event, so I had to look at screenshots from various tech site liveblogs. Do they really have video playing around that notch? That looks so bad.

Aside from the hideous notch, the X looks nice. I did like the shot of the wireless charging mat with the phone, watch, and earbuds on there (though I would never buy Airpods).

The camera claims look interesting, especially the "83% more light". I'm at the point in my life where I will go with whatever phone has the best camera. Interested to see what the Pixel 2 has in store.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
These events are "dead" because we all knew what it had long before the events. Leaks are killing events in general. Nothing "new" because we "knew" months ago.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I knew they'd jump on wireless charging

I'm surprised that they're using the qi standard. I figured they'd come up with some way to lock it down to require an apple specific charging pad.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Was also interested to see how the new watch looked, disappointed that the form factor isn't changing. Still looks childish for how expensive it is.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
I'm definitely ordering the watch as soon as its available.

I'm going to wait to see the teardown on the X and see if they are gimping the AT&T phones again with some 28nm taiwanese intel crap modem like they did with my 7

I hate AT&T so much....

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
These forums have gotten a little slow.

I watched the Apple Event (no thanks to my Apple TV that couldn't launch the Events app) and followed along on Twitter at #AppleEvent. The iPhone 8 was a little bit of a surprise, didn't expect Apple would launch two completely different iPhones. But did see they reduced the number of SKUs (fewer colors and storage options) to compensate.

As an iPhone 7 Plus (and Pixel XL) owner I'm passing on the iPhone 8. And I'm just not sure yet on the iPhone X. Big concern for me is the front sensors intruding into the screen space. I think in this area Samsung got it right be leaving just enough bezel for the camera and front sensors and still having an edge to edge display. Other than that, the iPhone X is very beautiful.

I'm happy it's not coming out until later in the year though, gives me time to see how the next Pixel XL 2 looks.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
The iPhone 8 looks completely redundant and i would never waste a dime on it but i guess they couldn't just sell the 7 for another year to the poors.

The X looks interesting but I have to see how terrible this FaceID thing is. IMO it is very disappointing that the first phone with a fingerprint reader in the screen will be the next samsung note. But I guess they tested both systems and this one was probably more reliable/functional than whatever qualcomm invented.

The demonstration where it failed to unlock on stage was not encouraging. You would think they would just script the whole thing if it was that unreliable but no... they'd rather watch their share price tank. I have a bad feeling about this faceID thing.

The watch honestly looks like the coolest thing they have. So i can leave my phone in my car and surf and answer calls? That's amazing!

On an unrelated note I am so glad I sold my AAPL shares at 165 (bought in november at 112). For some reason apple is the least appreciated stock out there especially when they release new stuff.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
They should have put the fingerprint sensor into the apple logo on the back of the X. Although I wonder if that interferes with wireless charging? I noticed Samsung put their fingerprint sensor up top, maybe to avoid the charging coil area.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
They should have put the fingerprint sensor into the apple logo on the back of the X. Although I wonder if that interferes with wireless charging? I noticed Samsung put their fingerprint sensor up top, maybe to avoid the charging coil area.
I heard with the S8 it was because of Samsung Pay. I'm pretty sure LG did wireless charging and a rear fingerprint sensor, so it can be done. I think Apple saw this as an opportunity to push a new tech and save on design costs by skipping out on the fingerprint sensor.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Found this on macrumors:

img_0484-png.717047

That looks SO much better than Apple's ugly notch design.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Found this on macrumors:

img_0484-png.717047

That looks SO much better than Apple's ugly notch design.

Um... that IS apple's notch design. You can tell by the battery indicator on the right of the notch, and the signal indicator on the left. The only thing that's different is the app doesn't go full screen and actually show the notch, it's only displaying the signal and battery info at the notch level and treating everything below the notch as the actual screen. You can't see the notch because it's black, and so is the screen around it. This is IMO the best way to handle the notch, and something I thought they would do. Showing full screen videos that included the notch was very odd, because it wouldn't be hard to utilize the notch level as just a notification area (like the picture). Since that's only a software update, I truly hope in the future Apple makes that change... or at least an option to toggle "full screen" which includes the notch and a non full screen which doesn't. That's how samsung handles their odd screen ratio of their new phones and IMO it works well. It's almost like Apple shied away from implementing something similar just to not walk in their footsteps. I don't know what the reason is, but I would bet that full screen video that has a notch taken out will be either fixed or at least can be toggled in the near future.

edit: load the pic up in a photo editor and crank the brightness, and even the contrast a bit. The notch is there it just blends in with the black of the screen.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The demonstration where it failed to unlock on stage was not encouraging. You would think they would just script the whole thing if it was that unreliable but no... they'd rather watch their share price tank. I have a bad feeling about this faceID thing.

The article I read showed that it didn't fail, it just showed the message "you must enter your passcode before you can use FaceID" which is the same message you get on the iphone now with touchID if you recently rebooted or something. Doesn't look like it failed, just bad timing or picked up the wrong phone.

What the hell am I defending apple for anyway... I don't like them in the first place. You're right, it failed! Screw em and their broken "new" technology that already exists on other phones!

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
The iPhone 8 looks completely redundant and i would never waste a dime on it but i guess they couldn't just sell the 7 for another year to the poors.

Umm yeah... okay... the iPhone 8 is for 'the poors' :rolleyes:

The X looks interesting but I have to see how terrible this FaceID thing is. IMO it is very disappointing that the first phone with a fingerprint reader in the screen will be the next samsung note. But I guess they tested both systems and this one was probably more reliable/functional than whatever qualcomm invented.

The face unlock didn't actually 'fail' per se. If you looked at the screen, it says 'your passcode is required to enable FaceID'. So it's not that the phone was unable to recognize the face, but the phone probably just rebooted/restored and you need to unlock it with a PIN first before FaceID can be used. It's still terrible as it's supposed to be a demonstration of how great it is, but the failure isn't the technology, it's the preparation.

Edit: found a screenshot
DciOYfR.jpg

The watch honestly looks like the coolest thing they have. So i can leave my phone in my car and surf and answer calls? That's amazing!

It is amazing, but it's not a new thing. People who "don't know anything about what makes a good phone or good technology" have been doing that for about two years now. I'm glad you can join us now! :p

On an unrelated note I am so glad I sold my AAPL shares at 165 (bought in november at 112). For some reason apple is the least appreciated stock out there especially when they release new stuff.

AAPL stocks always went down after a keynote and then climb back up. You are doing okay by already selling, but now is actually the time to buy (and sell later).

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Or this forum is dying. I don't know which. Came to look at the commentary on the Apple event. No commentary. Here, All Things Apple, Off Topic.

What has happened?

Biggest change to the iPhone in its history and no one is even discussing. Crazy times we live in. Apple is surely doomed.

I am positive the last iphone was the biggest change to iphones in history, at that time. Is it that interesting that tech other companies have used for a while, wireless charging and AMOLED displays finally on iPhones?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I'm definitely ordering the watch as soon as its available.

I'm going to wait to see the teardown on the X and see if they are gimping the AT&T phones again with some 28nm taiwanese intel crap modem like they did with my 7

I hate AT&T so much....

Why buy it from AT&T when you can get it unlocked direct from Apple?

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Why buy it from AT&T when you can get it unlocked direct from Apple?

I 100% will next time. AT&T offered me an iPhone 7 for like 9$ a month if I turned in my 6s.... so I did. It was cheap....

But it turned out AT&T for the first time since the iPhone 5 decided they would cheap out on paying for CDMA modem patents and go with a taiwanese 28nm intel/infineon modem that performed 1/2 as well as the corresponding qualcomm part (made on 20nm). I didn't find out about this until the teardown, which didn't appear for weeks after release.

I will wait for a teardown and buy based on whatever the "good" model is. I don't know why apple always does this (they've done it with several iPhones) but they seem to make 1 good model and 2 or 3 crap ones and don't tell you which is which. It's specification obfuscation and disinformation. Apple is like the CIA of tech companies... always up to something.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I 100% will next time. AT&T offered me an iPhone 7 for like 9$ a month if I turned in my 6s.... so I did. It was cheap....

But it turned out AT&T for the first time since the iPhone 5 decided they would cheap out on paying for CDMA modem patents and go with a taiwanese 28nm intel/infineon modem that performed 1/2 as well as the corresponding qualcomm part (made on 20nm). I didn't find out about this until the teardown, which didn't appear for weeks after release.

I will wait for a teardown and buy based on whatever the "good" model is. I don't know why apple always does this (they've done it with several iPhones) but they seem to make 1 good model and 2 or 3 crap ones and don't tell you which is which. It's specification obfuscation and disinformation. Apple is like the CIA of tech companies... always up to something.

I did not realize that occured either, i assumed an iphone was an iphone except for the CDMA versus the other standard which i cannot remember right now.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Umm yeah... okay... the iPhone 8 is for 'the poors' :rolleyes:
I just don't know any people who couldn't afford $999 for a device they use every day for everything.So I call these imaginary people "poors".
The face unlock didn't actually 'fail' per se. If you looked at the screen, it says 'your passcode is required to enable FaceID'. So it's not that the phone was unable to recognize the face, but the phone probably just rebooted/restored and you need to unlock it with a PIN first before FaceID can be used. It's still terrible as it's supposed to be a demonstration of how great it is, but the failure isn't the technology, it's the preparation.
Edit: found a screenshot
DciOYfR.jpg
I very very much hope you are right. That sounds like an excuse, though. It would be quite stupid to bring a phone to the presentation that he hadn't already entered his face and password into... why would you use that phone for a demonstration?

It is amazing, but it's not a new thing. People who "don't know anything about what makes a good phone or good technology" have been doing that for about two years now. I'm glad you can join us now! :p
What other smartwatch has 50m water resistance and cellular connection? I've never heard of one.... to say nothing of all the crazy health features and the bespoke HR monitor. Apple watch has completely outclassed the competition for years... and it's reflected in their sales numbers. They absolutely demolish android wear.

AAPL stocks always went down after a keynote and then climb back up. You are doing okay by already selling, but now is actually the time to buy (and sell later).

Here I am 100% with you. I will buy back my shares at ~155-160 when it dips tomorrow. Bullish to the max on AAPL