Apple ditching Intel chips as soon as 2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Why? Because that's apples MO. Make crap seem like its obsolete so we can sell more stuff. Like my mid-2009 being obsolete because apple deems it not capable of sierra. complete BS IMO.
Just FYI, I run High Sierra on my MacBookPro5,5 (mid-2009) and on my MacBook5,1 (late 2008).

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Just FYI, I run High Sierra on my MacBookPro5,5 (mid-2009) and on my MacBook5,1 (late 2008).
I know, sideloaded. Not official from Apple. I too took this route for my 2009 MBP.

amyklai

Nov 11, 2008
From my perspective as a consumer, it all depends on what a hypothetic ARM Macbook offers over an Intel Macbook.

If it's much better than anything that could've been possible with an Intel chip, it might be worth losing the ability to run Windows programs without a performance hit and putting up with the inevitable inconveniences that come with a transition.

Otherwise, I'll pass and wait a few years to see how things shake out. We're at a point where things are easily good enough to last for a few extra years if necessary. No need to hurry, unless the offer is really compelling.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Seems odd that they would announce this so far in advance. I'm sort of always flirting with the idea of buying a Mac, and sometimes I actually buy one. With this news, it doesn't make any sense to buy anything for the foreseeable future. I could see businesses still buying Macs over 2018-19, but I imagine that most current Mac owners will just sit on what they have until this unfolds.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Seems odd that they would announce this so far in advance. I'm sort of always flirting with the idea of buying a Mac, and sometimes I actually buy one. With this news, it doesn't make any sense to buy anything for the foreseeable future. I could see businesses still buying Macs over 2018-19, but I imagine that most current Mac owners will just sit on what they have until this unfolds.
A: This isn't an announcement from Apple, it's simply rumor and speculation
B: IF it were an announcement from Apple, they would announce it in advance so developers can be fully on-board on day one