Apple ditches RADEON! :(

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
What a silly decision.

I always thought that people put too much store in what is said in press releases though.

Dennis Travis

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Jobs sounds like a kid at the playground in Elementary school! Jobs is the &quot;My daddy is stronger than your daddy and can beat up your daddy&quot; type. He is a big bully and always has been. Read any book about Jobs and all his employes will tell you how bad he treated them and threatnened them and put them down and played head games with them till he got what he wanted. Jobs is like a big kid that never grew up. If he does not get his way he throws a tantrum. He has always been that way and always will be I guess. In past times when he did not get his way at Apple, he even broke down and cried like a little kid to get his way!

I am still suprised he would do that to ATI since ATI has been one of the big supporters of the Mac with the Rage and Rage 128 etc. Chips for their Macs! So what is Jobs going to do now? Use a Trident 2 Meg in the G4 SMP machine with OS/x just to get back at BAD old ATI? Jobs, get a life!!!

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pathetic. Not using an great chipset from the company that has always supported Apple because of an little leak...*shakes head*

IMHO he is just using this as an excuse to screw ATI, now that 3dfx is producing V5`s for the MAC! :(

I can see it now:
&quot;The new MAC, with the exclusive Voodoo Graphics Voodoo 5 video card! Buy it, it`s better than all those PC`s at playing games now, because it has Voodoo! It`s 5000% faster!&quot;

Argh, I can`t stand Apple marketing! :(

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hehehehehehehehehe. I'll kick you while you're down!! :p Steve Jobbs never fails to amaze me with his antics.

I really sympathize with you Mac folk for having to put up with this arrogant ASS.

Dennis Travis

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Pathetic. Not using an great chipset from the company that has always supported Apple because of an little leak...*shakes head*

IMHO he is just using this as an excuse to screw ATI, now that 3dfx is producing V5`s for the MAC!

I can see it now:
&quot;The new MAC, with the exclusive Voodoo Graphics Voodoo 5 video card! Buy it, it`s better than all those PC`s at playing games now, because it has Voodoo! It`s 5000% faster!&quot;
>>

The stupid thing is the Mac has always been a excellent machine for Video Editing. What would be a more perfect solution for the G4 than the new Radon with Video Capture and Hardware DVD plus excellent 32 Bit Game performance. It would give the Mac what it needs and more. The Voodoo 5 will not do all that and is not as fast at least in 32 Bit mode as the Radon and even more stupid is the ATI has backed Apple all the way. The make one small mistake and Jobs ditches them? VERY STUPID JOBS!! You just ditched your best friend who has stuck by you and apple for years now!

Knowing Jobs he will come out and say the new Voodoo 5 is 1000's of times faster than any PC video card and so fast in fact that the Goverment has called it a secret weapon! How stupid. I think Jobs has blown it BIG Time? I wonder if he will get the boot again like he did in 1976 for causing all sorts of trouble at Apple?

Jobs GROW UP! You are 45+ years old. ACT your age for god sakes!

Dang what a foolio Jobs is!!

Insomniac

Oct 9, 1999
Pocatello: You are crazy if you think Apple is run by fools. After Jobs was brought back in as CEO Apple did a complete 180 and have been making unbelievable earnings. Bringing Steve Jobs back was the key factor in saving Apple from bankruptcy. He built the company and now he has rescued it.

Dennis: Jobs runs a very tight ship and as anyone can see, over the past two years it has been very succesful. Everyone knows, if you don't play by his rules you will be in the dog house. Granted, I think what he did was completely ridiculous, but even ATi knows (and could of seen) that he would be pissed off. Also, the people at Apple know better than to give Jobs the boot.

I figure the ATi cards will be back in the Macs, just let Jobs get over it. I also think the V5 will be added as an option.

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dennis Travis:

I couldn`t agree more.

Besides, I am not sure if 3dfx is able to provide enough V5 5500`s for Apple anyhow, and with NVidia not yet having released the GeForce 2 MX for the Mac I wonder how he wants to sell those Mac`s?

<< Knowing Jobs he will come out and say the new Voodoo 5 is 1000's of times faster than any PC video card and so fast in fact that the Goverment has called it a secret weapon! >>

Exactly what I thought! :D

Insomniac:

<< Bringing Steve Jobs back was the key factor in saving Apple from bankruptcy. He built the company and now he has rescued it.
>>

Yes, but that doesn`t change the fact that he is acting completely idiotic all the time, or the fact that Apples marketing is totally BS customers that don´t know any better.

Scorpion

Oct 10, 1999
Thanks Jobs! You can bury the Mac along with yourself. I don't mind.

This can screw both ATi and Apple.

Apple, because who else provides all their graphics? What else is more appealing to buy an Apple other than the fact that they now have a pretty damn graphics card(Radeon). At least with the graphics card, it was &quot;sort&quot; of a good deal. Now you just have Junk in a case.

ATi because a large portion of their business comes from Apple.

Jobs is one hell of a fool.

HayZeus 2000

Dec 22, 1999
Bringing Steve Jobs back was the key factor in saving Apple from bankruptcy. He built the company and now he has rescued it.

Hmmm, perhaps in the sense that he arranged the M$ bailout of Apple with good old billg... :p

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What's that old line... &quot;Cut off your nose to spite your face&quot;? Fits Jobs exactly on this one!

Rob

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Well, its Apple's loss not to have Radeons in the new Macs. Now they don't have anything that's competitive in the video/3D games/graphics dept

Fenix793

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2000
Jobs isnt stupid. He saved this company and its actually doing pretty good considering the major competition from the PC market. As for the ati thing. Yea it was pretty stupid to screw the only graphics chip maunfacturer that actually made a mac chip. However a radeon in a mac would only be good for gamers which is a very small fish in the pond. By pulling the radeon he is only screwing us but we all have our pcs anyway. The rage128 is great for normal users who just go online and type stuff. And the professionals have their high end graphics boards. This move shouldnt hurt apple much since the normal home users that buy their comps dont even know what a radeon is.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Are you kidding? Steve Jobs is a moron. Apple Fired Him Earlier!. In the big picture, Apple is nothing in the computer market except maybe for graphics which they are also losing at now. Even in my own experience I can tell renderings in both 3D and 2D are faster on an Athlon. Macs also make horrible servers - I know becuase I used to manage an Apple Talk network.

Steve Jobs is just shooting himself in the foot, finaly after all these years a product cmes out that could save his pathetic company and he ditches it. He's acting just like he was in the 80's, like he's God or something - and thats exactly why Apple has never ammounted to sh!t!

Oh and Scorpion - ATi isn't lseing sleep or money over this. Apple market is so small, they probobly won't even notice a profit loss. Apple still has to have video cards, and they'll just have to use the 128 for a while longer.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Steve is acting like PR Bubba boy from 3dfx.

People who should not be allowed to go outside!

llamaman

Jul 3, 2000
I wouldn't put down Jobs myself. He has made some good moves, and hes kept Apple afloat when many people thought they were going to drown, myself included. With that said, I'm not a big fan of macs. I just know quite a few people who still love them.

Modus

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Steve Jobs is David Koresh incarnate.

Modus

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Nah, in his own warped way Koresh thought he had a purpose. I don't know what the hell Jobs is thinking. :p

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
so what does this mean? it means that Mac's won't come bundled with Radeons. does it mean Radeons will not be available for upgrading your G3 or G4?

If it does, THEN I think he did a really stupid thing.

If it just means that the computers aren't bundled with the Radeon, it's not a big loss. As long as Radeon can run on Mac's, we can see some real competition when it comes to games and 3D apps..

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Leaked specs have hurt Apple before and Jobs is paranoid about stuff like that. It's his way.

Seems there's a lot of ego in the biz today. Guess that's what happens when the innovation curve flattens a bit, eh? Nothing better to do so the suits muck everything up.

No matter, I'll not return to the Apple platform anytime soon. That is unless I dig out my ole //e and boot up some Apple Cider Spider! :D