Appe G4 powerbook or not?

WHATif

Mar 26, 2001
Ok I will be getting BONUS in a few days. I feel like getting a laptop.Now my heart tells me to buy a Apple G4 Powerbook. My head tells me to get a PC laptop. With the Powerbook- I can run my regular stuff like Adobe Ilustrator,Photoshop,Indesign but not the 3d software that i have which is PC only. Now I don't think I will be doing any 3d work on my laptop as my AMD desktop is better for it with the huge monitor. So I feel inclined to get the Apple G4Powerbook. Now imagine I only do 2d work on my laptop. Can PC laptops come anywhere near the Powerbook in terms of performance? The Sony laptop with the AMD CPU....is it any good?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
in laptops the p3 is still the performance king for some reason or another (methinks its half a meg of cache and a 256 cache bus)

see what the return policy is. if its nice, buy both, and take the slower one back.

of course, the G4 is a babe magnet.

WHATif

Mar 26, 2001
PIII is ancient. No way a PIII can compete with a G4 specially in graphic applications.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i meant against the athlon, sorry if that wasn't anywhere near clear enough (it really wasn't)

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Are you talking about titanium? I guess you are. What's that? A 500mhz right? I think that a PIII 1gig could compete with that. Still though, get the G4, like ElFenix said "it's a babe magnet".

hahahaha.. babe magnet .. hahahahaha.. :D
sigh

edit: I see that it's a 666 now. Well, that's humbling..

wepopfresh

Banned
Oct 3, 2001
yes. if you can get a ti, do. The performance is great, the features are great, and it is one of the best all around laptops.

If i need windows on mine i run vpc 5 in osx with XP, and it runs. It's not the fastest at emulating windows, but it's a charm.

And the biggest deciding factor. Alti-vec.

In programs that support it, it's all the difference.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt your laptop is sexy, thin, and has a bigggggg screen.

hk29

Jan 28, 2001
What do you use at home or at work? Windows or Mac?

I'm trying to justify the additional $$$ on the G4.

WHATif

Mar 26, 2001
At home I use a Athlon 1.33GHZ system + older Mac. At work Apple G4.I travel 3 hours by train everyday. Hence the laptop.