Aporkalypse now.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Global bacon shortage is "unavoidable" according to a British Trade group.

September 25, 2012 10:50 AM
Global bacon shortage "unavoidable," group says
By
Alex Sundby

(CBS News) BLTs next year might have to forego the B, according to a British trade group.

Britain's National Pig Association, "the voice of the British pig industry," warned recently that a global shortage of bacon and pork "is now unavoidable" because of shrinking herds.

The trade group reported Thursday that annual pig production for Europe's main pig producers fell across the board between 2011 and 2012, a trend that "is being mirrored around the world." The group tied the decline to increased feed costs, an effect of poor harvests for corn and soybeans.

Even though the pig association issued its dire prediction as part of a campaign to get British supermarkets to pay pig farmers more for their products, the possibility of a pork shortage received plenty of coverage in American news outlets.

But the projected decline isn't news to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In its monthly outlook report (PDF) from August, the department linked a reduction next year in the United States to this year's drought in the Midwest. The government expects corn and soybean meal prices to go up and hog producers to cut production in an attempt to control losses in their operating costs.

Considering those factors, the USDA forecasted next year's pork production at 23 billion pounds, a decrease of about 1.3 percent from this year's estimated total. That breaks down to Americans consuming slightly more than 45 pounds of pork per capita in 2013, a reduction of more than 1 percent from this year's estimates.

The decline in production could be worse in Europe. On Wednesday, British Pig Executive Mick Sloyan told European retailers that pork losses could be as high 10 percent in the latter half of 2013, which could double pork prices, according to the U.K. pig association.

A global tragedy. Is there no justice? No bacon, no peace!

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Aporkalypse now.

Bring it on, I am stocked!

c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Once again the Liberals and price gouging farmers of the world propagate lies and deception of the deteriorating livestock feed/crops fabrication so they can force higher prices on well meaning corporations like walmart and other fine groceries stores.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I may not earn many friends with this... but it is something that has to be said.

Turkey bacon is actually not that bad.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Bacon "on sale" is already $4/lb. Where did the extra $2/lb go from when it was half the price a few years ago?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I'm sure this has to be due to radical Islam taking over Europe.

Wouldnt this be a jewish issue, or do the muslims not eat the meat that their god gave them too.

I may not earn many friends with this... but it is something that has to be said.

Turkey bacon kicks ass, I didnt even know it was made of turkeys until a few years ago. I just never thought about it and assumed it was a style.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wouldnt this be a jewish issue, or do the muslims not eat the meat that their god gave them too.

Muslims do not eat forbidden meat, such as pigs, humans, and a few other creatures that God created.

Turkey bacon kicks ass, I didnt even know it was made of turkeys until a few years ago. I just never thought about it and assumed it was a style.

It does, turkey pepperoni does too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

ha anyone tried shitake "bacon?"

Now, I'm not one for evil vegetable replacements, and I would never suggest this as a substitute, but there is something that just happens to taste a lot like bacon:

--pre-heat oven to 375
--thinly slice, long, shitake mushrooms and place in foil-lined baking sheet
--liberally cover in kosher salt and drizzle olive oil over all surfaces of the mushrooms. rub the mushroom slices so that they are covered in oil and salt on all sides
--bake at 375 until shitakes become hard and crispy. monitor and turn them in the pan throughout the cooking time (roughly 15 minutes, iirc)

shit tastes like bacon, with very similar texture. Do not ever mistake me for one of those despicable vegetarians, but this is an awesome snack. I like to place them on top of an arrabiata, or any kind of tomato sauce with pasta.

yum.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The next big meat is insect protein. It's easy to raise, cheep, and nutritious, larvae probably especially. Fly maggot flour and water for a protein shake?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

As a last resort.

Turkey Bacon is an abomination. Hail to the salty meat I love to eat!

this ^^^

Family goes through 1 lb a week.
So I need to stock up 50 lbs of PORK bacon in the chest freezer. Completely doable.:cool:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
ha anyone tried shitake "bacon?"

Now, I'm not one for evil vegetable replacements, and I would never suggest this as a substitute, but there is something that just happens to taste a lot like bacon:

--pre-heat oven to 375
--thinly slice, long, shitake mushrooms and place in foil-lined baking sheet
--liberally cover in kosher salt and drizzle olive oil over all surfaces of the mushrooms. rub the mushroom slices so that they are covered in oil and salt on all sides
--bake at 375 until shitakes become hard and crispy. monitor and turn them in the pan throughout the cooking time (roughly 15 minutes, iirc)

shit tastes like bacon, with very similar texture. Do not ever mistake me for one of those despicable vegetarians, but this is an awesome snack. I like to place them on top of an arrabiata, or any kind of tomato sauce with pasta.

yum.

Thanks Zin, it's in a recipe book now.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Once again the Liberals and price gouging farmers of the world propagate lies and deception of the deteriorating livestock feed/crops fabrication so they can force higher prices on well meaning corporations like walmart and other fine groceries stores.

when was the last time you took a drive through the corn belt.

Yields are down; all meat/poultry products are dependent on the corn/soybean crops.

You are listening to the wrong propaganda instead of using your eyes.