APENTURE? 64 TO 4

HotWire

Sep 14, 2000
A TECH FRIEND OF MINE SAID THAT IF YOU DROP THE APENTURE FROM 64 TO 4 IN THE BIOS THIS FORCES THE SYSTEM TO USE THE MEMORY ON THE VIDEO CARD BEFORE GOING TO THE SYSTEM. IS THIS CORRECT?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
i'm not sure but it's to avoid using agp.. someone here knows the exact detail but I think he's pretty much near correct or correct if I"m wrong

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I am not sure, but if your game needs more memory for textures and it can only use 4 MB of system memory, then there might be some serious slowdowns in games with lots of textures.

I have a TNT2 M64 PCI and I had very low scores during the 64 MB texture rendering speed part of 3D Mark2000. I got about 0.2 FPS. But after I went into the D3D part of my drivers and set the drivers to use up to 64 MB of system memory my score went up to 39 FPS for that same part of the test. (Also my AGP aperature size was 64.) This is all with either the 5.32 drivers or the 6.18. I think you better just leave the AGP aperature size to 64 and if you have an nvidia card you can greatly improve your performance by changing those settings in D3D. I could also bump up that setting for opengl, but not as much. I could only set it up to 16 MB if I remember correctly. I tried setting it higher, but after saving and then checking again it was only set to 16.

PG

HotWire

Sep 14, 2000
This comes from an issue with the stability of a Nvida MX video card, which I am hearing now have alot of stability problems anyway. Including some tweakin that is needed from game to game it might be just a little too much for the average Joe to handle.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Hotwire post your specs,I`ve a Geforce2 MX for gaming & it`s rock solid what drivers are you using?

:)

HotWire

Sep 14, 2000
My friend is using the CardEXpert GeForce 2MX video card, Asus K7V motherboard, Athlon 750 Mhz processor, Gainward Driver Ver. 6.18, Micron CAS2 64 Meg. stick and a PNY 64 Meg stick (not my choice) anyway my Asus 7100 is not giving me any problems (gaming) so I starting to think maybe it's his card, I'm goin to give him my card tomorrow to test his system and see what happens.

Weyoun

Aug 7, 2000
another vote for the MX. my leadtek card has given me the most stable rig that i have ever owned. not too shabby at games either, it's an absolute bargain, and o/cs like anything too!! ive had mine running at 220 mem for about 1 hour, no artifacts whatsoever and very nice performance.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
well if you have a voodoo5 it doesn't matter what you set the agp aperture at. 4,16,32. doesn't matter..voodoo5 doesn't use this.

HotWire

Sep 14, 2000
Well.....the apenture was moved from 64 to 4 and the card is running better than ever???????? he says it's stable now and he is getting great graphics for the first time and nooooo hangups. He does say however that his whole system seems to have slowed down a little bit but I don't know if that would have anything to do with the adjustment, he says it's slight and he can live with it as long as he gets good results from the card

snoogans

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
Setting it to anything under 16 will turn off AGP function calls. 16 is like safe-mode AGP. 32 will return it to "normal" mode.

Sounds like it's the motherboard though as I had the same issue. Had a GTS on a 440BX (ASUS P2B) and couldn't go over 16 without crashes. 16 ran games but didn't perform too well. Recently got a CUSL2 and GTS screams with a setting of 64