Question Apartment capped speeds at 10Mbps per WIFI connection, can I hack this?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
So I'm living at this Airbnb for 4 months and the WIFI here is quite slow at 10mbps. I often work from home and need to download large files and this is a hindrance. A few ways I can think of to speed it up.

1. Each WIFI connection is capped at 10mbps. I have two WIFI adapters, can I aggregate them somehow?
2. I did a clean install of Windows recently and I noticed the first time it connected, the connection was uncapped! I was getting ~150mbps. Unfortunately, when I reconnected, it was gone. It seems like the wifi connection was operating under a limited mode during the Windows setup and the cap wasn't activated. How could I workaround the cap?
3. A Samsung SmartTV that's included in the Airbnb room is connected to a different WIFI that requires a password. This one is probably uncapped. I looked into getting terminal access then I could reveal the wifi password, but the terminal is very securely locked with the Samsung OS. Is there a way for me to connect a LAN cable and share internet that way?
4. Buy a cheap data plan. So far the cheapest I found is 35GB/mo for $30 with Mint Mobile.

Any ideas are welcome! This would be super helpful!

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So I'm living at this Airbnb for 4 months

This should be a RED FLAG.
Airbnb for legal reasons do not allow leases longer then 1 month.

Its because you start to get tenants rights after 30 days.
So them giving you a 4 month lease, sounds very fishy.

Well maybe if you don't live in the CONUS, this might not apply.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
This should be a RED FLAG.
Airbnb for legal reasons do not allow leases longer then 1 month.

Its because you start to get tenants rights after 30 days.
So them giving you a 4 month lease, sounds very fishy.

Well maybe if you don't live in the CONUS, this might not apply.
Very interesting. But Airbnb actually has monthly rates for people who book for 30 days + on select properties that offer it as an option.

Example: here I set the booking duration for 2 months and the prices come up as monthly. Boston · Stays · Airbnb

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
BTW we are Not allowing disscussions of Hacking or similar solutions to such Issue.

So, please stay on the legal side in this thread.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Network teaming only works for wired ethernet , which bonds two adapters into one and have only one IP address, you also need to create LAG (Link Aggregation Group) on the switch. Or use SMB3 protocol which is available since Windows 8.1.

There is no wireless network teaming technology at all. Don't bother.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is no wireless network teaming technology at all. Don't bother.
No such thing as an aggregate round-robin bonding group? Kind of basically like multi-WAN? In fact, couldn't he use a VPN multi-WAN wired router, connected to a number of other wireless AP/routers, using WISP mode? Or would that be too much of a kludge.

That said, this thread sounds too much like, "My hotel room comes with a free buffet for one person. How can I bring my entire extended family to the buffer with me?".

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
No such thing as an aggregate round-robin bonding group? Kind of basically like multi-WAN? In fact, couldn't he use a VPN multi-WAN wired router, connected to a number of other wireless AP/routers, using WISP mode? Or would that be too much of a kludge.
Well, if OP is willing to buy one extra USB ethernet adapter, one dual WAN router and two travel routers running in WISP mode. But he still won't get one bonded 20Mbps channel, he is still getting 2 individual 10Mbps links, since file based traffic can still be only uploaded/downloaded via one of the links.

As what @ch33zw1z has said, talking to the landlord/owner to make an arrangement might be a better route.

Last edited: