AP Poll Shows McCain Backers Exhibit Signs Of Depression

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
That certainly explains away the disposition of many members on our own forum who support McCain.

Think of a McCainBot in P&N and their posts.

Grouchy? Check. Glum? Check. Frustrated? Check. Helpless? Angry? Bored? Disgusted?

The number that stands out the most, and the one that I feel will make the biggest difference on election day:

"While 43 percent of Obama's backers said they are excited over the campaign, just 13 percent of McCain's said so..."

Text

WASHINGTON (AP) ? That smiling guy walking down the street? Odds are he's a Barack Obama backer. The grouchy looking one? Don't ask, and don't necessarily count on him to vote next week, either.

Supporters of John McCain, long less enthusiastic than Obama's, have become increasingly glum about the presidential campaign in recent weeks, according to an Associated Press-Yahoo News poll released Saturday. Their feelings have turned more negative during a period that has seen Obama, the Democratic senator from Illinois, take a firm lead in many polls.

Obama's backers have retained a higher level of excitement. One expert says the contrasting moods could affect how likely the two candidates' supporters are to vote on Election Day, possibly dampening McCain's turnout while boosting Obama's.

While 43 percent of Obama's backers said they are excited over the campaign, just 13 percent of McCain's said so, according to the survey of adults, conducted by Knowledge Networks. Six in 10 Obama supporters said the race interests them, compared to four in 10 backing McCain, the Republican senator from Arizona.

On the flip side, 52 percent of McCain supporters said the campaign has left them frustrated, compared to 30 percent of Obama's. A quarter of McCain backers say they feel helpless, double the rate of those preferring Obama.

More McCain supporters also feel angry and bored, while Obama's are likelier to say they are proud and hopeful.

All of this is a bad sign for McCain, according to George E. Marcus, a political scientist from Williams College who has studied the role emotion plays in politics. Negative feelings about a campaign can discourage voters by making them less likely to go through what can be a painful process: Voting for someone who will lose.

"If I'm getting my head handed to me by a tennis player, my brain is saying, 'Do I want a second match? No,'" Marcus said. "Why do something that's going to lead to failure?"

Marcus said such emotions can be overcome by outside events, such as a campaign or neighbor urging a person to vote. There's also the danger exuberant Obama backers might decide not to vote because of overconfidence. The Obama and McCain organizations combined have spent hundreds of millions of dollars for those very reasons.

Obama leads McCain among likely voters in the AP-Yahoo News poll, 51 percent to 43 percent.

Supporters of McCain cite a dislike for Obama, dissatisfaction with the campaign's tone and frustration with how news organizations have treated their candidate.

"Flat disgusted, how's that?" said Billie Hart, 80, a Houston Republican backing McCain. "Because that's the way I feel about it. I don't like the individual. I just don't think the United States will be going in the right direction."

Many Democrats say they're energized by a candidate they perceive as different from most politicians and who can make a real difference.

"Elections have always been so ho-hum," said Kathleen Rockwell, 61, an Obama supporter from Redmond, Wash. This time, "I feel connected. And that feels good."

The AP-Yahoo News poll, which has followed the same group of 2,000 people since last November, underscores how individuals have reacted to the campaign's currents. For many McCain supporters, it's not been a happy period.

Three in 10 McCain backers who report being frustrated now said in September they weren't. That is quadruple the number who became less frustrated.

At the same time, one in five McCain supporters are not interested in the campaign now who said they were in September. Half that number gained interest. By similar margins, McCain backers report becoming more angry, bored, overwhelmed and helpless and have become less excited, proud and hopeful.

"I'm real interested in having it over," said Michele Roos, 64, a McCain supporter from Newport News, Va.

Enthusiasm by Obama backers has largely stayed steady since September, though slightly more of them ? 31 percent ? now say the campaign makes them feel proud.

"I didn't like the candidates before," said Angelique Sims, 38, an Obama supporter from Shawnee, Okla. "I like his character. I like the things he represents. He represents my views."

A closer look at the numbers show how that emotions are playing out to Obama's advantage in several pivotal groups of voters.

Forty-eight percent of those under age 30 who support Obama say they are excited over the race, compared to just 21 percent of those young voters who back McCain. That age group has been a reservoir of strong support for the Democrat.

Just 44 percent of whites supporting the Republican say the campaign interests them, compared to 58 percent of whites and 72 percent of blacks supporting Obama.

At the same time, half of McCain supporters age 65 and up say they're frustrated, compared to three in 10 of Obama's older voters. Also saying they're frustrated are 53 percent of whites backing McCain ? compared to 40 percent of whites and 12 percent of blacks behind Obama.

The AP-Yahoo News poll of 1,753 adults was conducted Oct. 17-27 and had an overall margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.3 percentage points. Included were interviews with 803 Obama supporters and 703 McCain supporters, with error margins of plus or minus 3.5 and 3.7 points respectively.

The poll was conducted over the Internet by Knowledge Networks, which initially contacted people using traditional telephone polling methods and followed with online interviews. People chosen for the study who had no Internet access were given it for free.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Brilliant. People that support a campaign that is behind in the polls are upset about the campaign while people that support a campaign that is ahead in the polls are happy about the campaign.

Re-read your article, it continually repeats that these emotions are about the campaign, not life in general. This just in, Phillies fans were happy that the Phillies won the World Series.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
:laugh:

Thanks for proving my point.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Jpeyton I would advise you to edit out your topic summary because we don't need people thinking that democrats are elitist and looking down upon small town americans. after november 5 say whatever you want

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
According to your little checklist at the top..

Grouchy? Not at all
Glum? Nope
Frustrated? What would I be frustrated with?
Helpless? Once again, helpless how?
Angry? No, sorry
Disgusted? Once again, what am I disgusted with?
Bored? Well duh, and so are you. That's we're on Anandtech at 3 AM.

Also, when did I say I was a mccain supporter? Yes, I'm voting for him on tuesday but that's entirely different from being a supporter. I don't really want him to win, I just want Obama to lose if that makes sense.

But all of that aside, the elections have zero bearing on my emotional state at any given time. It's impossible to tell what difference is made specifically because one candidate was elected instead of another anyways.

I merely came into this forum over the last few days to try to do some fact finding, but the things that are allowed to be posted on this forum make it completely unreadable. I understand that forum rules require you to post an opinion along with the news article, but you're really digging for articles right now. Three useless ones in the last hour, all really going for the same message.

Your topic summary is very childish, as well as the manner in which you post. If your posts were truly intended to educate and spread news and discuss politics, as per the purpose of this board even existing, then perhaps you should be going about things in different manner.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton

"While 43 percent of Obama's backers said they are excited over the campaign, just 13 percent of McCain's said so..."
[/quote]

That's probably includes the same 40% that doesnt pay taxes but wants a check from Kid Sunshine. Many McCain peeps dont care about McCain losing per se because not that many like him that much. But they do realize they have an anti-American Marxist who many of public thinks is middle road Joe Cool. This wont go anywhere good no matter how it turns out.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Originally posted by: jpeyton

That's probably includes the same 40% that doesnt pay taxes but wants a check from Kid Sunshine. Many McCain peeps dont care about McCain losing per se because not that many like him that much. But they do realize they have an anti-American Marxist who many of public thinks is middle road Joe Cool. This wont go anywhere good no matter how it turns out.

You're being just as childish as jpeyton. There are ways of showing your opinion without using rhetoric and insults. You are throwing up an argument that is so slanted, that nobody can believe it and your actually hurting your intentions because now everyone thinks that you are nuts. Unless your intentions were to post flame-bait which violates Anandtech's rules. So which is it?