AP: Dean Blasts Bush Over Mad Cow Scare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
"What we need in this country is instant traceability," he said.
"instant traceability", eh?

First Dean bitches about the Patriot Act, yet implies this "instant traceability"? Damn hypocrite!

But hey, Dean is the posterchild for groups hugs and Kumbaya sing-a-longs, so one might therefore deduce that such deplorable rhetoric is completely acceptable.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Crazee
But one thing is certain - dean's attempt at trying to blame this on Bush is just another lame attempt to blame Bush for anything that happens in the US.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the job of the Boss to make sure things are done correctly and that "the buck stops here?" You guys talk about lame attempts at blame when you have another lame attempt to try to keep blame from Bush. Next thing you know one of you will try to blame Clinton.
rolleye.gif

well Crezee I hate to do this to you but if you look at Deans comments he inadvertantly lays it at clintons doorstep while blaming Bush.

The former governor, whose state has a large dairy cow population, said the Bush administration failed to aggressively set up a tracking system that would allow the government to quickly track the origins of the sick cow, quarantine other animals it came in contact with and assure the marketplace the rest of the meat supply is safe. "What we need in this country is instant traceability," he said. Dean said such a system should have been set up quickly after the mad cow scare that devastated the British beef industry in the mid- to late-1990s.

Looks like Bill and friends failed to set anything up as well considering they had 5 or so years after the British madcow epidemics hit.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: burnedout

First Dean bitches about the Patriot Act, yet implies this "instant traceability"? Damn hypocrite!

But hey, Dean is the posterchild for groups hugs and Kumbaya sing-a-longs, so one might therefore deduce that such deplorable rhetoric is completely acceptable.

Nothing hippocritter, cattles not proteted by the consititution nor have ineliable rights such as habus corpus, people do.

.. neither is game or any other livestock. Unless I misunderstand your post I'd say your trying to misrepresent what he said for points..not like you.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Did any of you actually read the article?

"This just shows the complete lack of foresight by the Bush administration once again," Dean said. "This is something that easily could be predicted and was predicted."
So Dean believes in John Titor?

P.S. While I generally think Bush is a dangerous idiot, Dean really is grasping at straws on this issue.

I strongly suspect the lack of proper inspection at the meat packing plants and the tendency to put "downer" cows first in line for consumption since they are now a pain for the farmer to deal with is something that started before the Shrub administration.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Dean isn't going to get any traction (or votes) out of this...

"CHICAGO (Reuters) - McDonald's Corp., Burger King and Wendy's International Inc. said on Monday hamburger sales have held steady since the first case of mad cow disease in the United States surfaced last Tuesday.
The continuity of sales at the three largest U.S. hamburger chains suggests American consumers' willingness to shrug off the mad cow incident as an isolated case they believe will have little bearing on food safety.
Shares of McDonald's and Wendy's continued their recent recovery Monday, rising more than 1 percent on the New York Stock Exchange in afternoon trade. Burger King is privately held."

nobody seems to care about it.... (thank goodness, i own alot of McD's stock!)

linky

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
A Republican heart surgeon owning alot of McDonald's stock? Shocking!
why is that shocking? are you a communist? don't believe in Capitalism, or let me guess, you believe there is a conflict of interest in my owning stock in a restaurant chain. Why is that? because you believe McDonald's is unhealthy (even though the odds are you eat at McDonald's just like the rest of the world)?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Just a question, this cow was born in 97 in canada, so they say. When was it brought into the country?

KK

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Maybe I missed the article, but I haven't noticed much concern for the civil liberties of cattle. Don't remember seeing much about cattle in the Constitution lately, either.

I suspect Dean's point is that if homeland security is really our priority, perhaps we should be allocating resources more effectively.

Edit: I see Zebo beat me to it.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
why is that shocking? are you a communist? don't believe in Capitalism, or let me guess, you believe there is a conflict of interest in my owning stock in a restaurant chain. Why is that? because you believe McDonald's is unhealthy (even though the odds are you eat at McDonald's just like the rest of the world)?

Calm down man, it was a joke. A heart surgeon owning stock in McDonald's is like an ER doctor owning stock in Smith and Wesson. Its just funny. :D

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Wow i cant believe clinton even got mentioned here. ( and in a bad way )

During the clinton era they were the ones who FIRST started to help with limiting mad cow disease with putting restrictions on the feed they can use on livestock which started in late of 1997.

The cow in question was born in april of 1997 before those restrictions took place.

The first sighting of mad cow disease was in the late to mid 1980's. i think about 86

Also "food for thought" the cattle farmers give big time the republicans.

Feb 3, 2001
Well, I didn't read the whole thread, but I think Dean's claim is nonsense. And whoever said "isn't it the boss' job to make sure everything runs right?" above, sure, overall, but you and I both know that there is FAR too much going on in this country, much less the world, for one man to keep track of *every* little detail and make sure that ALL the right decisions are made. That's why power is delegated to smaller, local authorities throughout the nation, and why we have organizations like the FDA.

If anyone screwed up, it was the FDA. Bush just happened to be sitting in office when the scare happened, it doesn't make it his fault.

Jason

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yeah, I've been into MCD for years now. Also purchased 100 shares for my IRA back in the spring of this year. Great returns over the years.

Re: Dean - "tracking". Yes, I misread the article. A big Oops. He means cattle, not people.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah, I've been into MCD for years now. Also purchased 100 shares for my IRA back in the spring of this year. Great returns over the years.

Re: Dean - "tracking". Yes, I misread the article. A big Oops. He means cattle, not people.

I bet knowing Mrs. Krock donated 2 billion of her MCD fortune to commie NPR just chaps his ass.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Zebo:

Bwuahahaha! I didn't know that, but there are worse places for such blood money. Anyway, NPR is getting almost as bad as the Fox Cartoon Network. They are soooo afraid to say anything that will but their already puny government stipend at risk. I much prefer the BBC and would even listen to French news if I could get a good channel. My bloody French has all but disappeared because all my friends are brown skinned. :)

-Robert

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
I bet knowing Mrs. Krock donated 2 billion of her MCD fortune to commie NPR just chaps his ass.

NPR = National Proletariat Radio

I think the $200 million donation is great...cut em off from public funding, they don't need it now.

Feb 3, 2001

I think the $200 million donation is great...cut em off from public funding, they don't need it now.

Oh, we're not seriously going to get into a discussion about the fictional Proletariat nonsense are we? I don't have the patience for it ;)

Jason

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DragonMasterAlex
Well, I didn't read the whole thread, but I think Dean's claim is nonsense. And whoever said "isn't it the boss' job to make sure everything runs right?" above, sure, overall, but you and I both know that there is FAR too much going on in this country, much less the world, for one man to keep track of *every* little detail and make sure that ALL the right decisions are made. That's why power is delegated to smaller, local authorities throughout the nation, and why we have organizations like the FDA.

If anyone screwed up, it was the FDA. Bush just happened to be sitting in office when the scare happened, it doesn't make it his fault.

Jason

DMA & CAD,

News reports clearly show that the Feed restrictions were put in place by the Clinton Administration towards it's end and there were continuing "Negotiations" on further refinement of the Process until it reached the current Administration. At that point the current Administration caved to the Big Business Cattleman Lobbyists that wanted to keep the testing amount down as well as not Quarintining "Downer" Cows.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

National Proletariat Radio ~ Bwahahaha. I crack up everytime this definition comes up on these forums.

I mentioned NPR to a friend of mine here in KY a couple days ago. His response? "Oh, you mean that radical left-wing station the commies listen to."

Yeah, I listen to NPR on 90.5, KUT back in Austin. NPR presents a nice alternative view. After a while, too much information begins to corrupt the brain so the dial switches to classic rock or country.

Anyhow, I thought the $200 million donation by Ms. Kroc to NPR was kinda cool. Apparently, she was very impressed with their version of events.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

National Proletariat Radio ~ Bwahahaha. I crack up everytime this definition comes up on these forums.

I mentioned NPR to a friend of mine here in KY a couple days ago. His response? "Oh, you mean that radical left-wing station the commies listen to."

Yeah, I listen to NPR on 90.5, KUT back in Austin. NPR presents a nice alternative view. After a while, too much information begins to corrupt the brain so the dial switches to classic rock or country.

Anyhow, I thought the $200 million donation by Ms. Kroc to NPR was kinda cool. Apparently, she was very impressed with their version of events.

Could'nt be more opposite. Check out the demographics.

http://www.kwmu.org/Support/Underwriting/demographics.html

-More than 70% of NPR listeners have incomes that exceed $70,000, and are 73 % more likely than the average U.S. adult to have household incomes of more than $100,000.
-63% of NPR listeners are college graduates, and more than one of three have a master's degree or have attended some graduate school.
-More than 40% of NPR listeners own financial securities

Need I mention they win more awards than any other for journalism.

Hey but don't let the facts get in the way of ignorance when laughter is to be had. It's the best medicine:)

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

OK how can "too much information begins to corrupt the brain" ?

Are you saying you like to be stupid ?

NPR yesterday had a news brief on mad cow. I learned more about mad cow during the 10 minutes or so than what i previous had known and reading all the comments here and the article above. ( see my above post those were just a few of the hightlights, i did a spot check on the ones i posted and they were right ).

Along with presenting a wealth of information they did not blame bush/clinton/french ( i have to clarify for galt ). So i guess if FACTS are a left wing conspiracy.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo

Hey but don't let the facts get in the way of ignorance when laughter is to be had. It's the best medicine:)
My post was not intended to be critical of NPR but rather humorous. I listen to NPR also.

Originally posted by: outriding

OK how can "too much information begins to corrupt the brain" ?
You mean to tell me that you can't drop the goddam news just for one brief moment to enjoy the arts? You know, music? Hello? I asked HELLO?

Are you saying you like to be stupid ?
What an assinine, misinformed ignorant insult. Here ( | ) is the equivalent an internet two by four. Now go whack yourself 40 times and report back to me when finished. Begin.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I know Brunedout..you've already indicted your working on your thesis and own securites..naturally you listen...But hanging with the salt of the earth crowd is fun..not so uppity..when you just wanna relax have a brew and talk about cars and woman..the faster the better....My response was a bit trite and I smiled for a reason:D