AP: Dean Blasts Bush Over Mad Cow Scare

NightCrawler

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=694&u=/ap/20031228/ap_on_el_pr/dean_interview_7&printer=1

Yep, it's Bush fault that a Canadian cow got mad cow and was sent to America
rolleye.gif

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Yeah - it was interesting to hear him try to blame Bush last night for this. Don't mind that it really had nothing to do with Bush and dean is trying to blame anything and everything on the current Administration. Could more have been done to prevent the meat from getting out? Sure. Would anything, dean says that should have been done, prevented the cow from coming to the US? no. He made the claim last night that it'd cost $.03/lb to test every cow at slaughter like Japan does. To me - that seems like overkill(hehe pun:p) Will this force the USDA to change some things? Sure. Should they have been changed before? probably. But one thing is certain - dean's attempt at trying to blame this on Bush is just another lame attempt to blame Bush for anything that happens in the US.

CkG

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
But one thing is certain - dean's attempt at trying to blame this on Bush is just another lame attempt to blame Bush for anything that happens in the US.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the job of the Boss to make sure things are done correctly and that "the buck stops here?" You guys talk about lame attempts at blame when you have another lame attempt to try to keep blame from Bush. Next thing you know one of you will try to blame Clinton.
rolleye.gif

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Crazee
But one thing is certain - dean's attempt at trying to blame this on Bush is just another lame attempt to blame Bush for anything that happens in the US.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the job of the Boss to make sure things are done correctly and that "the buck stops here?" You guys talk about lame attempts at blame when you have another lame attempt to try to keep blame from Bush. Next thing you know one of you will try to blame Clinton.
rolleye.gif

And Bush is going to stop MadCow how? NOTHING he could have done would have stopped that cow from being in the US. Now like I said - sure, there could have been things the USDA should/could have done to prevent the meat from being processed. Sure, Congress could/should have passed tighter regulations and such. But for dean to blame Bush for this is asinine and grasping at anything and everything he can to try to "damage" the President. I also found it funny that dean kept trying to use the technical term for MadCow disease. He said it 6-7 times atleast...but never really said it clearly. Then he had the nerve to say "pardon me using Medicalese"
rolleye.gif
Like he couldn't have said MadCow like he did after the first time he said bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Or atleast use BSE, but no he had to try to say the whole term every time :p

Good luck dean - you're going to need it.

CkG

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
And Bush is going to stop MadCow how? NOTHING he could have done would have stopped that cow from being in the US. Now like I said - sure, there could have been things the USDA should/could have done to prevent the meat from being processed.

Question asked.....question answered. The laws are in place already where there is supposed to be a USDA vet in place whenever a "downed animal" is put to slaughter. The fact that they let the meat packers run roughshod over them is not a case of not enough laws, it is a case of law enforcement which in this case falls under the Executive branch.

As for speaking clearly, I would think as a Bush supporter that is definitely something that you wouldn't want to bring up ;) :p

Dec 27, 2001
And Bush is going to stop MadCow how? NOTHING he could have done would have stopped that cow from being in the US. Now like I said - sure, there could have been things the USDA should/could have done to prevent the meat from being processed.

Question asked.....question answered. The laws are in place already where there is supposed to be a USDA vet in place whenever a "downed animal" is put to slaughter. The fact that they let the meat packers run roughshod over them is not a case of not enough laws, it is a case of law enforcement which in this case falls under the Executive branch.

As for speaking clearly, I would think as a Bush supporter that is definitely something that you wouldn't want to bring up ;) :p

So Bush is also responsible for the law enforcement which keeps you safe by patrolling the streets. He is also responsible for law enforcement which is the first to arrive at the scene of an accicdent and deserves credit for all the lives saved. I think you, and Dean, owe GW quite a lengthy letter of gratitude. :) :) :)

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
So Bush is also responsible for the law enforcement which keeps you safe by patrolling the streets. He is also responsible for law enforcement which is the first to arrive at the scene of an accicdent and deserves credit for all the lives saved. I think you, and Dean, owe GW quite a lengthy letter of gratitude. :) :) :)

If you looked at the latest crime statistics which show violent crime on the rise since 2000, I think you would be inclined to thank Clinton for those years of safety :) :) :)

Dec 27, 2001

If you looked at the latest crime statistics which show violent crime on the rise since 2000, I think you would be inclined to thank Clinton for those years of safety :) :) :)

So it IS or ISN'T okay to constantly bring up Clinton? Just trying to clarify if hypocrisy is the standard.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

So Bush is also responsible for the law enforcement which keeps you safe by patrolling the streets. He is also responsible for law enforcement which is the first to arrive at the scene of an accicdent and deserves credit for all the lives saved. I think you, and Dean, owe GW quite a lengthy letter of gratitude.
Hint: USDA == federal. Patrolling the streets, etc. == state and local.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Then look here for blame. Seems to me that IF there is any "fault" to be assessed - it would fall on those who's job it is to directly deal with these specific things. Again - to try to blame Bush is assinine, but atleast he(dean) didn't say that if he were President it wouldn't have happened...well atleast he hasn't yet;)

CkG

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

So Bush is also responsible for the law enforcement which keeps you safe by patrolling the streets. He is also responsible for law enforcement which is the first to arrive at the scene of an accicdent and deserves credit for all the lives saved. I think you, and Dean, owe GW quite a lengthy letter of gratitude.

Crazee doesn't think so...he just said Clinton was doing a better job as President since crime was lower. *shrug* You two battle it out. ;)

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Have any of you guys seen an FDA inspector make his round a the meat packing plants? Well, neither have I, but a friend of mine told me the inspections are a farce. A miniscule portion of the meat is inspected.

But, here is the question. Is our food supply at risk from terrorists and/or from stupid and inept govenment inspectors?
Obviously so. So, why are we spending 200-300 billion dollars to make Iraq safe when we could be dying in droves from any of, what, 20 or so diseases, that can be spread easily in our food supply?

Just another example of a truly disasterous use of our money by a government run by the rich for the rich to perpetuate the rich.

-Robert

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: chess9

Just another example of a truly disasterous use of our money by a government run by the rich for the rich to perpetuate the rich.

-Robert

rolleye.gif

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Hint - Look in the thread where even Heartsurgeon admitted Clinton put through funding for more than 100,000 police. I find it humorous that Conservatives will use that fact to bash Clinton saying he was "reigning in freedoms", but when someone points out crime went down they act like it never happened. :confused:

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Quite frankley it is Bushes problem he needs to deal with. He is in office and he just needs to get up and deal with it. The meat community has been breaking the laws that pertain to the way that they are fed and slaughtered. Selling sick animals in the market isn't much better either. The FDA hasn't been enforcing the laws which are already in place. In the mean time the meat farmers are going to loose billions in business from the recalls and consumer dissent. Which is another Bush problem. He is the president, he needs to deal with it. Either deal with it or step aside and let someone else who can do the job do it.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Next thing you know one of you will try to blame Clinton.
rolleye.gif

Too late-Dean already did:

Dean said such a system should have been set up quickly after the mad cow scare that devastated the British beef industry in the mid- to late-1990s.

:D

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Did any of you actually read the article?

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean says the Bush administration missed an opportunity to soften the impact of the country's first mad cow scare and that the American beef industry should receive federal aid to weather the crisis.

The former governor, whose state has a large dairy cow population, said the Bush administration failed to aggressively set up a tracking system that would allow the government to quickly track the origins of the sick cow, quarantine other animals it came in contact with and assure the marketplace the rest of the meat supply is safe.

"What we need in this country is instant traceability," he said.

Dean said such a system should have been set up quickly after the mad cow scare that devastated the British beef industry in the mid- to late-1990s. The Bush administration was still devising its plan when the sick cow was slaughtered Dec. 9, and on Friday the government still hadn't determine the infected animal's origins.

"This just shows the complete lack of foresight by the Bush administration once again," Dean said. "This is something that easily could be predicted and was predicted."

Dean said as a result the beef industry will suffer enormously. Officials said Friday 90 percent of the foreign markets for American beef have been closed off because of the announcement.

Asked if he supported a federal economic aid package for the industry, Dean said: "The answer is, yes, of course I do. The question is how much? And we don't know how much yet."

Dean said the government's first job, before the economic damage is calculated, must be to "close down that impact as soon as possible" by tracing the cow's origins and credibly reassuring the American public and the world that the rest of the U.S. beef supply is safe.

As a doctor, Dean said he was more concerned about the impact of the announcement on the U.S. economy than on public health. "The truth is this is going to have a minimal health impact," he said.

Dean criticizes the whole Bush administration not just Bush. As a civics lesson, the USDA is in the executive branch of federal government and its Secretary sits on the Administration's Cabinet. Where does he blame Bush for "a Canadian cow got mad cow and was sent to America"? The song "Blame Canada" just popped into my head BTW...

Secondly, his more major point was that the federal government should have softened the financial impact with federal aid. You may disagree with that idea, but again he doesn't blame George W. Bush for the diseased bitch. (<-- EDIT: why I called a cow a bitch, I have no idea. Heffer is more appropriate I think).

So show me where he points the finger directly at Bush, otherwise it seems you Dean-bashers are the ones grasping at straws...

EDIT: Then, in the Reuters article he plainly states:

"You can't blame the president because a cow came down with BSE , but you can blame the Bush administration for a lot of what's going to happen to beef farmers over the next couple of weeks," Dean said.

*places several straws in hard to reach places for Dean-bashers*

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
"The song "Blame Canada" just popped into my head BTW"

After the last election I got a bunch of hats that said: "Blame Florida". :) :)

Bwuahaha!

Anyway, I blame Bush. He's the head of the government. He appointed the guy in charge of the FDA. If he brought something to the table he might think of these problems. And, coming from a cattle state I'd say it's Stupid Is as Stupid Does. He's a complete moron. Feel free to blame the moron. :) Not the least bit unfair.

-Robert

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Did any of you actually read the article?

Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean says the Bush administration missed an opportunity to soften the impact of the country's first mad cow scare and that the American beef industry should receive federal aid to weather the crisis.

The former governor, whose state has a large dairy cow population, said the Bush administration failed to aggressively set up a tracking system that would allow the government to quickly track the origins of the sick cow, quarantine other animals it came in contact with and assure the marketplace the rest of the meat supply is safe.

"What we need in this country is instant traceability," he said.

Dean said such a system should have been set up quickly after the mad cow scare that devastated the British beef industry in the mid- to late-1990s. The Bush administration was still devising its plan when the sick cow was slaughtered Dec. 9, and on Friday the government still hadn't determine the infected animal's origins.

"This just shows the complete lack of foresight by the Bush administration once again," Dean said. "This is something that easily could be predicted and was predicted."

Dean said as a result the beef industry will suffer enormously. Officials said Friday 90 percent of the foreign markets for American beef have been closed off because of the announcement.

Asked if he supported a federal economic aid package for the industry, Dean said: "The answer is, yes, of course I do. The question is how much? And we don't know how much yet."

Dean said the government's first job, before the economic damage is calculated, must be to "close down that impact as soon as possible" by tracing the cow's origins and credibly reassuring the American public and the world that the rest of the U.S. beef supply is safe.

As a doctor, Dean said he was more concerned about the impact of the announcement on the U.S. economy than on public health. "The truth is this is going to have a minimal health impact," he said.

Dean criticizes the whole Bush administration not just Bush. As a civics lesson, the USDA is in the executive branch of federal government and its Secretary sits on the Administration's Cabinet. Where does he blame Bush for "a Canadian cow got mad cow and was sent to America"? The song "Blame Canada" just popped into my head BTW...

Secondly, his point more major point was that the federal government should have softened the financial impact with federal aid. You may disagree with that idea, but again he doesn't blame George W. Bush for the diseased bitch.

So show me where he points the finger directly at Bush, otherwise it seems you Dean-bashers are the ones grasping at straws...

EDIT: Then, in the Reuters article he plainly states:

"You can't blame the president because a cow came down with BSE , but you can blame the Bush administration for a lot of what's going to happen to beef farmers over the next couple of weeks," Dean said.

*places several straws in hard to reach places for Dean-bashers*

Notice to dean apologists. I was there when he said these things. Let me be CLEAR on one thing. Dean's statements were clearly putting the blame on Bush(and his Administration) Yes he started out with his "you can't blame him for..." disclaimer but the rest of his tirade was aimed squarely at Bush and all the supposed things that Bush didn't do and tried to say that the Administration was directly responsible for this.

So yes - it is dean(and the other dwarves) who are grasping at straws and playing headline politics.

CkG

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
CAD:

Yes, but it's your abdication of responsibility by proxy for Bush that's the real problem. Personal responsibility is JOB ONE for the little guy, but Presidents shouldn't have to put up or shut up? Give me a break....

That twit Bush is responsible for every bit of the mess in the Executive Branch, and most especially our military and foreign policy blunders. This mad cow disease problem could turn out to be an enormous headache for the Head Moron, but it will probably be trivial. Fortunately, our enemies are at least as stupid and incompetent as Bush, and have a lot fewer resources.

-Robert