Anyway to locate the owner of an unsecure wireless network?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
While it's oddly satisfying surfing around on someone else's wireless network, is there anyway to locate the person to let them know?

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: AnyMal
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Netsend.

If you know computer/user, then yes. Do they have f&p sharing enabled?

Nope. All I can do is surf around at their expense.

Their wireless network is called nivlock.

Does that sounds like it could be personal or a business?

Also, is there a law against using an HTTP sniffer? ;)

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: whaleskinrug
I know of no law against sniffing -- but once you gain access it is illegal

I don't know, seriously. Is it intruding if there are no signs/warnings saying keep out? And it's wireless and unsecure? seems like it could be, but, not sure.

whaleskinrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: dman

I don't know, seriously. Is it intruding if there are no signs/warnings saying keep out? And it's wireless and unsecure? seems like it could be, but, not sure.

Well, if you bypass any sort of security measure or mess with another person's equipment to "secure" it it would definitely be a violation -- but I doubt they'd pursue it because they'd need to prove substantial financial damages. If someone just leaves a wireless network open and you use it for internet access then it's just like any other hotspot and there wouldn't likely be any problems. But some might have a moral qualm about that.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: dman

Well, if you bypass any sort of security measure or mess with another person's equipment to "secure" it it would definitely be a violation -- but I doubt they'd pursue it because they'd need to prove substantial financial damages. If someone just leaves a wireless network open and you use it for internet access then it's just like any other hotspot and there wouldn't likely be any problems. But some might have a moral qualm about that.

It's just open. I have my own internet access, so it's not like I need this. As I'm accessing from my apartment and there aren't any businesses nearby that I would think was wired, I'm guessing that it's another resident and I thought it would be cool to let him or her know about it.

There are no security measures or anything. I just turn on the wireless adapter, it finds the network, and I'm on.

Mar 15, 2003
On a related note I choose to disable 128bit protection on my wireless router.. For some reason my wireless connections would randomly drop during the day if it was enabled... So I disabled it and am now completely hackable.. Anyway to see activity on my network just to make sure that no one is snooping?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
You can still setup mac address filtering to limit access. The only thing is without WEP, people can sniff your packets more easily because they don't have to break your encryption.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
On a related note I choose to disable 128bit protection on my wireless router.. For some reason my wireless connections would randomly drop during the day if it was enabled... So I disabled it and am now completely hackable.. Anyway to see activity on my network just to make sure that no one is snooping?

some security info if you scroll down the page to the troubleshooting section. may not apply though.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Funny topic. Just last night I was trying to figure out why my wireless connection at home was running like crap. Turns out I was connecting to a neighbors network.

What's really bad about it...is that they left SSID broadcast on, didn't enable WEP, AAAAAND they didn't change the default password. Having worked with just about every major player in the SOHO router business I know all the default logins and passwords...sure enough...the defaults were left in place on this router.

Open bare assed to the world. I REALLY need to figure out who's place this is...

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
What's funny is I've got a map of downtown SLC on my laptop with areas marked where I can park and surf. So far I've founde 20 networks with no security, including one gov'ment office, and one with a 20mb connection :D