Anything interesting in the upcoming Atom and Celeron roadmaps (mini PCs&Chromebook)?

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
#1 Atom: For under $100 mini PCs

Which are, most of the time, stick computers, with maybe the one, notable exception is the InFocus Kangaroo. The problem with these, they almost unanimously get pretty medicre customer ratings and reviews, with the exception maybe being, again, the InFocus Kangaroo, which seems the consistently get the best, or at least, least worst reviews of the pack: https://yawnbox.com/index.php/2015/11/30/tor-relay-tor-hidden-service-hardware-picks-december-2015/

It is said it's still running hot, though: http://liliputing.com/2016/03/kangaroo-mobile-desktop-mini-pc-review.html

I could see quite a few use cases for a bunch of these low cost, low power, but otherwise, full fledged mini PCs around the house (with various OSes), but only if they can run 24/7, reliably. Speaking of separate, under $100 mini PCs, I guess at this point I can't buy one mini PC for under $200, which is also capable to run another 'Windows 10, 2 GB RAM, 32GB eMMC' caliber mini PC as a virtual machine, so, it would be more efficient to buy two, separate $100 PCs in this case, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The question: has the under $100 mini PCs time really come yet? Or, possibly their true time will come in a few years, assumed by the Intel Atom roadmap?

#2 Celeron: For Chromebooks

This is an easy one, compared to the above case. I want fanless (Celeron? I'm not sure, but the best Chromebooks overall, the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and the Dell Chromebook 13 are still Intel and not ARM based yet) Chromebooks. Most, if not all Celeron Chromebooks are not fanless yet (correct me if I'm wrong). Knowing the Intel Celeron roadmap, at what time we can expect Celeron Chromebooks to become fanless?

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Intel is heavily cutting spending on the tablet/phone markets, so don't expect any major miracles with Atom.

eton975

Jun 2, 2014
Way more interested in Desktop Celerons. Unbelievable that people actually buy cat-core Athlons from AMD for desktop PCs.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Airmont -> Goldmont
Braswell -> Apollo Lake
Cherry Trail -> Willow Trail ??? (idk)

I liked 10" Acer Aspire Ones of 2008-2012. Now I use old XP laptops with Linux...

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
(I'm not sure, but the best Chromebooks overall, the Toshiba Chromebook 2 and the Dell Chromebook 13 are still Intel and not ARM based yet).

I have the acer 13 with 4 gb of ram, 32 gb storage and a k1 tegra cpu, which is fanless. It has a 1080p screen and a battery that lasts up to 11 hours. The body is plastic, but very sturdy and is easy to clean. So at least from a practical side of things, i would say this is one of the best chromebooks per buck (paid about 300 euro for it last year).

virtuality

Mar 22, 2013
I have the acer 13 with 4 gb of ram, 32 gb storage and a k1 tegra cpu, which is fanless. It has a 1080p screen and a battery that lasts up to 11 hours. The body is plastic, but very sturdy and is easy to clean. So at least from a practical side of things, i would say this is one of the best chromebooks per buck (paid about 300 euro for it last year).
Is the Acer's screen any good? Its retail price is $349 for the 4 GB model, vs. $329 for the Toshiba with IPS screen (from the Acer and Toshiba sites, respectively).

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Way more interested in Desktop Celerons. Unbelievable that people actually buy cat-core Athlons from AMD for desktop PCs.

What is unbelievable is that people do such statements when an Athlon 5370 is equal to a Celeron G1820 in Integer apps, wich are the apps used by people buying this gear....

So a given level of perf is ok when it s Intel but is crap when it s AMD, if that s not a caricature i dont know what it is..

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wondering if Intel has something to correct the dissater they made with Cherry Trail... if Apollo Lake doesn't save them, is Game Over and maybe Intel prepares to use the Core uArch to the mobile devices.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
What is unbelievable is that people do such statements when an Athlon 5370 is equal to a Celeron G1820 in Integer apps, wich are the apps used by people buying this gear....

So a given level of perf is ok when it s Intel but is crap when it s AMD, if that s not a caricature i dont know what it is..

Except Haswell Celeron has a huge single-thread advantage, and no matter how you spin it this is an important metric, especially for a general purpose low-end system. Not to mention much better upgrade path.

Application_01.png

Application_04.png

Application_66.png

Encoding_01.png

Encoding_02.png

Last edited:

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
Is the Acer's screen any good? Its retail price is $349 for the 4 GB model, vs. $329 for the Toshiba with IPS screen (from the Acer and Toshiba sites, respectively).

Not really, it's a bit grainy, but i haven't seen the toshiba screen, so hard to say how much worse it is. But i presumed that acer would be much cheaper by now, what the hell happened there? It has actually gotten more expensive in a years time o_O.

Well, in any case, regardless of if it's toshiba, acer, or anything else, i would get a fanless option with good battery life if i had to buy again. It's much nicer when you can toss the thing around (my acer 13 is the sturdiest laptop i ever had) and not care if the fan gets damaged and also read in complete silence.

Last edited:

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
I am just happy that AMD came out with the 5370! they also have two am1 quad cores that donet have integrated graphics. Athlon x4 530 and Athlon x4 550 (2ghz and 2.2ghz)

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Except Haswell Celeron has a huge single-thread advantage, and no matter how you spin it this is an important metric, especially for a general purpose low-end system. Not to mention much better upgrade path.

Yeah, but it sucks at Cinebench + Winrar. In conclusion, AMD wins yet again.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Stoney Ridge could be interesting for <$100 mini-PCs. It's a 2 core Excavator chip with a 192-shader GPU, only single channel DDR4, and built in h.265 decoder. Low cost, but semi-decent single threaded performance and good media acceleration. Probably going to be more pleasant to use than the Kabini Athlons.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Stoney Ridge could be interesting for <$100 mini-PCs. It's a 2 core Excavator chip with a 192-shader GPU, only single channel DDR4, and built in h.265 decoder. Low cost, but semi-decent single threaded performance and good media acceleration. Probably going to be more pleasant to use than the Kabini Athlons.

Indeed, that does sound interesting.