Anything fun to do on the drive from Colorado to Iowa?

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
A friend of mine convinced me to go to Iowa with her for her sisters wedding. We'll be driving what I imagine to be a downright boring drive from Northern Colorado to a city a little south of Des Moines, Iowa. My friend said that if I could find something to do along the way she'd be fine with stopping to do stuff.

Anybody else ever make this drive? Know of anywhere to stop along the way besides gas stations and fast food joints?

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
there's the stupid arch in the middle of I80 in Nebraska.

Wait. Did I say stupid? I'm sorry, we're supposed to be proud of that waste of money.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There's a museum (with a Kool-Aid exhibit, since Kool-Aid was created there) and a planetarium in Hastings. There's the zoo in Omaha, it's a great zoo.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: kyzen
This is starting to sound like a rather hellish drive.

That's because it is. There's a reason why so many truck drivers pop meth like tic tacs going through the area.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Just reminded me of a song from my College Days...

Sung to the tune of "The Old Grey Mare"

:music:I don't give a damn about the whole state of Iowa
The whole state of Iowa, The whole State of Iowa.
I don't give a damn about the whole state of Iowa
Who in the hell likes corn?

Who in the hell likes corn? (Not Me!)
Who in the hell likes corn? (Not Me!)
I don't give a damn about the whole state of Iowa
Who in the hell likes corn.... :music:

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Look forward to the highway interchanges, because they are the most interesting thing you will see.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
No cornfields until you cross the Missouri.

If you are into history; consider stoppiong at one of the Pony Express stations and also at Ft Kearney.

After that, nothing to do except keep on rolling.

Having made that trip 4 times in the past year (NV-IA); I would recommnd that you bypass Omaha to the west.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Bring a power converter, laptop and lots of movies...for you. Wouldn't want her to be distracted while driving.

You could always pull over and do it in a corn field...make some use out of them.

ChurchOfSubgenius

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2001
ha, try hitchhiking it like I did, from sioux city ia. to fort collins co. in 1986. I walked for 27 miles in one stint without a ride...the rest of the trip would take 4 pages to write.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Originally posted by: ChurchOfSubgenius
ha, try hitchhiking it like I did, from sioux city ia. to fort collins co. in 1986. I walked for 27 miles in one stint without a ride...the rest of the trip would take 4 pages to write.

Hah, we're actually leaving from Fort Collins, so that's amusing. Hitchhiking would take too long, we have to get back to work some time :p

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Bring lots of weed and a lot of cds you like to listen to a lot (youll mostly hear ****** talk radio in the middle of nowhere) and the drive will be fun as hell. Otherwise its a long, boring waste of time that could be spent masterbating.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you detour to the south quite a bit, and go through kansas, you can see the deepest hand dug well
http://jgrr.blogspot.com/2006/07/possible-largest-pallasite-ever-found.html
http://www.bigwell.org/
http://www.bigwell.org/bigwell.html
The story of the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well began in the 1880's when both the Santa Fe and Rock Island railroads were laying tracks across the plains of Kansas. A large supply of water was needed for the steam locomotives and for the people of the area. The only dependable source of water was from a well. In 1887, the city granted a franchise for a water works system, to cost approximately $45,000, a huge sum of money in those days. The Santa Fe terminated its track at the west Kiowa County line and removed it eight years later.