Anything better than WMC on 7

brotherhaslip

Dec 30, 2014
I have been running WMC on Windows 7 for a long time now. I've been using dual OTA tuners and Ceton 4 tuner when using cable. I'm getting ready to reinstall the OS and am wondering if I should upgrade my DVR from WMC.

I know zip about XBMC, PLEX, Sage, Myth, etc, but would be willing to learn. I like having the windows pc in the background since it is what I am used to. The main things I need is

1. DVR functionality like I have in WMC currently
  2. can we stream HD to other screens now - I remember DRM made lots of shows un-streamable to my laptop etc
  3. I would love to be able to stream over the internet also while traveling etc
  4. A sleek interface would be nice
Just thought I would see peoples votes were. Any input would be great.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I used BeyondTV from SnapStream, back in the day.
I liked the software, but switched over to a standalone HD DVR from TWC, after the analog to digital move.
SnapStream no longer sells the program, but their forums are stuffed full of information.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
No while your still on digital cable. Cable copy once DRM has you locked to WMC.

brotherhaslip

Dec 30, 2014
No while your still on digital cable. Cable copy once DRM has you locked to WMC.

For the time being, I will be cutting cable and just using OTA with a dual tuner. I thought that I even had problems with certain shows that were recorded from OTA when it comes to streaming. Is it only with cable that there is the problem?

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
For the time being, I will be cutting cable and just using OTA with a dual tuner. I thought that I even had problems with certain shows that were recorded from OTA when it comes to streaming. Is it only with cable that there is the problem?

If your willing to deal with a Linux distro after you cut the cord. Mythbuntu would be the logical way to go. Mythtv is the only PVR really still being supported. You will have to pony up $15 a year for the channel guide that's still a bargain in my opinion.