Anyone want to walk me through how to do a tonsillectomy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Oh TC, that was the sleep apnea surgery. Just to let you know, I was about as obstructed as was possible. The doc was astounded that I could breathe at all. Took about half my throat out, but I sleep, breathe and eat better than I can ever remember. For me, it was the right way to go.

Originally posted by: Beau
Originally posted by: JuMpR629
LISTEN TO ME: My sister had tonsil infection problems all her life. One day last year she developed tonsilitis yet again, and it was really bad this time. Her tonsils abcessed (her body basically cordoned them off and filled them with lymph fluid) and she couldn't swallow...she had to spit into a cup.

My parents took her to the ER, and the doctors there poked SYRINGES INTO HER TONSILS WITH NO ANAESTHETIC to drain the fluid. This is because my parents and sister waited too long to go to the ER. Don't let that happen to you; my sister said it was hands down the worst pain of her LIFE.

Go to the ER. I have no sympathy for what they do to you if you don't go tonight.

:Q

<-- been spitting in a cup all night.

-k-, I'll go as soon as the database @ work is finished compacting.

Excellent. You're making the only smart decision. It's either some pain now and a tonsillectomy (which my sister got AFTER the fluid was drained) and a hell of a lot of pain and a tonsillectomy. Your choice.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This is because my parents and sister waited too long to go to the ER. Don't let that happen to you; my sister said it was hands down the worst pain of her LIFE.
It can go both ways sometimes. I've seen adults with chronically infected and inflammed tonsils and the tonsil almost fell out as soon as the doctor began pulling on them.

But you're generally correct, long-term tonsilitis usually results in scarred and fibrotic tonsils that are much more complicated to remove.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: tcsenter
This is because my parents and sister waited too long to go to the ER. Don't let that happen to you; my sister said it was hands down the worst pain of her LIFE.
It can go both ways sometimes. I've seen adults with chronically infected and inflammed tonsils and the tonsil almost fell out as soon as the doctor began pulling on them.

But you're generally correct, long-term tonsilitis usually results in scarred, fibrotic, and tonsils that are much more complicated to remove.

I've heard that tonsillectomies performed on adults run the risk of altering their voice to sound nasally for ever. Is this true?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I've heard that tonsillectomies performed on adults run the risk of altering their voice to sound nasally for ever. Is this true?
I can't say, I've never heard of it. Perhaps there is some risk of that with adenoid and tonsil removal, but I can't see there being much of a risk. It would be something that one could learn how to mitigate over time, getting used to your new 'features'.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
My tonsills have become infected, AGAIN! :| 2nd time in 3 weeks..

Hurts soooooo bad right now. Can't speak, swallow, barely breath (throat is dry, so it hurts to breathe.)...

I have a SOG Tigershark that I'm sure is sharp and long enough to get the job done, and a blow torch that can heat the blad hot enough to sterilize and cotterize the flesh. And it couldn't possible hurt as bad as it does regularly.

So how do I do one?

(I'd go to the doctors office, but it's closed. I'd go to the emergency room, but I don't wanna :p. I'll probably go tomorrow, if I'm still alive.

A good first step would to go to a DOCTOR.

Sorry, someone else made this recommendation before I will write it again
GO TO A DOCTOR!
Thank you

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I had a tonsillectomy when I was 25 (ten years ago) because of constant sinus and ear infections (they take out your adnoids too).

I went home the same day.

It took me a little over two weeks to get over it. Darvacet is your friend.

I seldom get sick anymore. I still have my allergies, but they don't become infected three times a year.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Well I went to the emergency room. Dumbass doctor gave me some Lortab and sent me home (same doctor that sent me home the last time and said there was nothing they could do for me.... anyone know the limits of malpractice cases?). The next day I could barely breath so I went back into the hospital. My regular doctor was there, took one look at my throat and checked me into the hospital. An hour later I was in surgery. Both of my tonsills were the size of two golfballs and each had rupturing abssesses that could have caused a whole lot more problems if left alone. Now I can barely speak, but it's not too bad. Lortab is a very good thing. They've also got me taking these horse-sized antibiotic pills (Augmenten)... oh well, hopefully I won't get sick anymore.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Sounds nasty. :(

Did they remove your adnoids as well? Hopefully they did, and that makes it even less likely you'll get sick as often.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just had mine out on Tues, along with a few other things. Mine were infected and my surgeon said from the looks of the puss, they have been infected for quite some time. They never bothered me, or atleast I never noticed them.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: dirtboy
I just had mine out on Tues, along with a few other things. Mine were infected and my surgeon said from the looks of the puss, they have been infected for quite some time. They never bothered me, or atleast I never noticed them.

Mine were so large that they were interfering with my breathing, speach and swallowing. Felt like razors just to even open my mouth.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Buy a $200 plane ticket down to mejico. Have it done there. Be sure to bring your own antiseptic.

;)

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Getting tonsils out as an adult is not the same as children getting them out...it hurts quite a bit more and comes with a lot more complications!

BUT if they gotta come out, then they gotta come out!:p

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
hehe... just got back from the doctors for my checkup. He told me a story I hadn't heard yet. Apparently when they were cutting my tonsils out, one was so infected that it literally burst and sprayed the nurses :D

Jun 18, 2000
hehe... just got back from the doctors for my checkup. He told me a story I hadn't heard yet. Apparently when they were cutting my tonsils out, one was so infected that it literally burst and sprayed the nurses :D
Good to hear there wasn't any complications.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001

NASTY! :D

Had mine out when I was in 3rd grade. Stayed in the hospital for 2 days because I refused to drink anything.

The doctor's orders were for me to regularly drink water or juice at least once an hour for a while after. I was going to a Catholic school at the time and the damn nun wouldn't let me get up to get a drink! My parents stormed in the next day and had it out with the principal and I got to have my drinks. I would get up like every half hour just to piss off Sister Margaret. :D

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
I had a tonsillectomy about 4 years ago at age 36. Very painful for the first 8-10 hours after the operation, after that the painkillers pretty much knocked it out unless I swallowed. I don't think it changed my voice so much as it changed the way it sounds inside my head - if that makes any sense. My wife didn't notice a difference. She did notice that I stopped snoring.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I had them out when i was real young. heres what i remember occuring:

give me green pills (presumably general anesthetic).
chew pills, because i hadnt yet learned how to swallow pills.
pills taste like ass, barf them up
chew more
play some board game that had big bird on it.
wake up, operation is done and ive got free orange popsicles. w00t.
eventually go home.

no more tonsilitis. w00t. tonsilitis can suck it:p

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002

figures... you love to spary girls even when you're out. :)