anyone want to teach me how to play tribes

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Uh, it's capture the flag, run around, kill noobs, grab flag, return to your own flag.
Man, I miss playing Tribes. Nothing beats crashing one of those interceptors or whatever they were called right into the flag, killing everyone around it, grabbing the flag, and using an interceptor pack on your back to just hop in another one and fly away.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Uh, it's capture the flag, run around, kill noobs, grab flag, return to your own flag.
Man, I miss playing Tribes. Nothing beats crashing one of those interceptors or whatever they were called right into the flag, killing everyone around it, grabbing the flag, and using an interceptor pack on your back to just hop in another one and fly away.

right. the server i'm playing on has people that haul ass. there is etiquette for games, etc.

Jan 31, 2002

QFT. It's not difficult.

I think I'll fire that up tonight for my daily dose of OldSchool. :)

I was never the flag-capper anyhow ... I made way more kills as the Insane Engineer.

Im in ur base
Killin ur doodz

- M4H

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Did the tribes 2 servers ever come back up?

I used to love playing Tribes 1 and 2.

SHAZBOT!

Was vengence any good? Anyone still play it?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I still have an old copy of Tribes lying around somewhere... maybe I should fire it up and see how bad I am now :laugh:.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You gotta try out the Shifter mod... so many enhancements, the game is never the same without it once you've played it.

As for how to play, if you want to be offensive you can capture the flag. Or play defense. Or snipe. Or fight.... which if you do I'd recommend an energy pack and get good with the jetpack/disc launcher/plasma combo. Well you should be good with that regardless of the position you play.

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: clamum
You gotta try out the Shifter mod... so many enhancements, the game is never the same without it once you've played it.

As for how to play, if you want to be offensive you can capture the flag. Or play defense. Or snipe. Or fight.... which if you do I'd recommend an energy pack and get good with the jetpack/disc launcher/plasma combo. Well you should be good with that regardless of the position you play.

Shifter mod was the one all the HF servers were running, right?

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: clamum

Shifter mod was the one all the HF servers were running, right?

I think it was HaVoC that had the programmable missile launcher ... that was fun. Different warheads had different speeds, so you had to factor distance, flight time, etc into the firing sequence. Harder it hits, the slower it travels. Made for good strategy. Give me my LR Turret Buster setup (Heavy - Heavy - EMP - Medium - EMP) and I'll strip the outside of an enemy base before they even have time to react. The first EMP comes in a little early, the second EMP passes the Heavies just before impact, and the Medium splits the two for a photo-finish. :D

M4H: *fires salvo from afar*
Turret: *fritz*
Base defender: WTF was that?
Turret: *fritzWHAMPOWKABLOOEY*
M4H: *firing salvo 2*
Base defender: Where the hell did that come from?
Turret #2: *fritz*
Base defender: Aw, sh!t.

- M4H

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Oh wow... tribes :shocked:

I wasted so much time with that game... still remember maps like Raindance and stuff, that was some good stuff. I heard that they shut down the master servers a while ago, is that still the case? I'd love to play again if those were running.

I ran a server for a while with I think 10 player slots or so that was always filled - I had someone make custom maps for the server and so it would usually be busy. I had it setup so that after 10 players out of the 10 available were used, it would make an 11th slot and password protect it so I could get in myself :p

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Oh wow... tribes :shocked:

I wasted so much time with that game... still remember maps like Raindance and stuff, that was some good stuff. I heard that they shut down the master servers a while ago, is that still the case? I'd love to play again if those were running.

I ran a server for a while with I think 10 player slots or so that was always filled - I had someone make custom maps for the server and so it would usually be busy. I had it setup so that after 10 players out of the 10 available were used, it would make an 11th slot and password protect it so I could get in myself :p

i play on shithole. it's in dallas and always has players.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Man I haven't played Tribes in forver.

I remember the original tribes ran like sh!t on my 800 Mhz Athlon!!!

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
I have never played tribes. If I were to pick up a copy, what one should I get?

Jan 31, 2002
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: 40Hands
I have never played tribes. If I were to pick up a copy, what one should I get?

Original one, free download from Sierra.

See Wikipedia entry for DL link, I'm too lazy to fish out a full one. :p

- M4H

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
single player tribes gameplay = walking around admiring the scenery and architecture. :p

panipoori

Aug 18, 2005
I've played tribes since '99 at first demo, then tribes 1, and tribes 2.

I have a link to tribes2 if anyone wants it but you have to remember your old username/password.
I think there are free downloads of tribes1 going around as well, there was a free download of the game by fileplanet not too long ago.

My favorite game of all time definitely.

PrelateBishop

Jan 10, 2001
Tribes 1 is possibly my favorite game of all time. I preferred "base" games over all of the mods (most were too silly for me...I enjoyed the purity of the default).

My favorite map was called Snowblind. It was soooooooooo much fun to ski a Heavy over to the enemy base and mortar the hell out of it (especially the spawn points). More often then not tho, I stayed busy capping the flag and laying waste to others with the spinfuser.

I enjoyed that game so much that I honestly thought I had a gaming problem for a while. I am of the opinion that no other game has come close to being as fun with regards to constant action and overall simplicity in gameplay, but allowing for solid tactics. Most new games try to do too much and fail. Heck, Tribes 2 wasn't as good because of that. If the developers had simply redone Tribes 1 with better graphics and new maps to supplement the old ones, it would have been awesome.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Shazbot! ;) I used to play Tribes all of the freaking time. Great game. I was disappointed with Tribes 2 though.