Question Anyone using raspberry pi with AdGuard as DNS?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I just pulled my Pi 3b out of the closet and installed Raspian and AdGuard, then set it as the DNS for my router. No other changes. I'm a little disappointed at the blocking that's going on. Went to a few local news websites that are chock full of ads and still getting a lot on my devices. Anyone else have adguard running on a pi?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've been trying this with success instead of setting up a dedicated pihole , works on mobile as well

nextdns.io

As long as the DNS pointers on your router points to Pi-hole device, it also works on mobile when using your wifi.
Also Pi-hole is completely free outside securing the rasberry-pi.

To be honest, it doesn't catch everything,

That nexdns.io seems to have a pay feature, but 300k queries / month is a generous amount of queries for the free package, and i assume it has to be installed in every device?

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
As long as the DNS pointers on your router points to Pi-hole device, it also works on mobile when using your wifi.

That nexdns.io seems to have a pay feature, but 300k queries / month is a generous amount of queries for the free package, and i assume it has to be installed in every device?
Yeah it's per device

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
How does it override your carrier's dns setting on your cellphone? Psudo vpn just for the dns traffic?

i assume it setup a internal VPN like how blokada does on your cell phone / tablet.

I use 3 layers of adgaurd on my mobile devices except my phone, because i am worried it will block a work related app.

But..

Pi-Hole -> primary
Blockada -> secondary
Firefox -> Ublock Origin addon

I don't see any ads on my tablet period by going this route.
I just wish chrome allowed addons on andriods. Its really stupid how they don't, and its probably more meant so they can track you.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I just pulled my Pi 3b out of the closet and installed Raspian and AdGuard, then set it as the DNS for my router. No other changes. I'm a little disappointed at the blocking that's going on. Went to a few local news websites that are chock full of ads and still getting a lot on my devices. Anyone else have adguard running on a pi?
I'm doing just fine. Roku, Tubi, and Peacock all play like Netflix, with next to zero ads. Here's my white/blacklist. :)

Attachments

• Custom DNS_Page_1.jpg
    Custom DNS_Page_1.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Custom DNS_Page_2.jpg
    Custom DNS_Page_2.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 3

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Some things you have to catch on your own. I refresh my list as I watch on the office Roku, so I see it in real time...

And kill it.