Anyone using Comcast

BScott881

Mar 30, 2001
I just got a letter in the mail today from Comcast Internet service. Itsays I am using too much bandwidth and they are threatining to cut me off. I didn't know there was any limits on usage. All I run is P2P networking, but I do leave it on 24/7. I've had comcast over 2 years and this is the first I've heard from them. Anyone else had this situation?

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
I have Comcast and have never been asked to cut back. I have two PC that are on intarweb all the time and I download tons of stuff (drivers/patches/ etc.)

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Leaving P2P on all the time will probably lead to your service being cut. Read up on it @ Broadband Reports Forums. Do you have anyone you can switch to, or is Comcast the only broadband provider in your town?

Rob

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I just got my 2nd notice.

Trying to cut back on some downloading, but not sure how much I will.

Not sure if they'll do anything, or if this is just a scare tactic. Haven't heard of anyone getting terminated, but haven't looked into it much.

If they do cut me off, they'll also lose my cable TV and phone service - I'll ditch them for everything.

At least give me some options - offer to up my monthly bill or something.

BScott881

Mar 30, 2001
I guess I will try to cut back some. When I have P2P running people are downloading from me all the time but mostly I am just searching for things I have in que. Does that take much bandwidth. I wouldn't think so.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Smolek
http://dumeter.com/

Yup works great. I try to keep my traffic to about 2-3 GIGs aday. Thats about a good number. I did 86gigs last month and havent had problems yet (Using Shaw Cable).

And having DSL has nothing to do with this. A DSL ISP could do the exact same thing.

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Gotta love DSL

Problem is, Comcast is 3Gbps - tough to replace with DSL.

They're being ridiculous about this - I smell a class-action lawsuit coming...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I have Comcast, but haven't received a letter yet. (I do run Overnet almost constantly..) However, here in Sunnyvale, CA, I do have other options, and if Comcast cuts me off I'll switch over to Speakeasy. In fact, I'll probably switch over to Speakeasy anyway within the next month or so, just to get a higher upload bandwidth.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I downloaded 4.5 GB of DS9 last night, if they come after me I'll tell them to blow it out their collective ass. If not use it, what am I going to do with all the bandwidth? It's not like I'm some idiot sharing copyrighted material on a P2P, there's not much they can do about it. :)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BScott881
I just got a letter in the mail today from Comcast Internet service. Itsays I am using too much bandwidth and they are threatining to cut me off. I didn't know there was any limits on usage. All I run is P2P networking, but I do leave it on 24/7. I've had comcast over 2 years and this is the first I've heard from them. Anyone else had this situation?

i just got this letter yesterday.

i haven't had a chance to check out their user agreement.....anyone know how many GB per month they allow before being red flagged?

rky60

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
I think it's whatever the load is in that particular area, if it's really heavy than the number could be lower or higher if the bandwidth usage is lower. You'll never get a straight answer from them since it seems to be at thier discretion. Don't the letters say you're x100% the national average? Whatever the average is anyones guess

I've never gotten a letter, but I rarely if ever use P2P type software, I am a streamin radio nut tho :)

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
if they come after me I'll tell them to blow it out their collective ass. If not use it, what am I going to do with all the bandwidth? It's not like I'm some idiot sharing copyrighted material on a P2P, there's not much they can do about it.

Talk all tough, but their cutting users off left and right and they don't seem interested in stopping no matter what they say.

Hopefully someone challenges them on this...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: RKYeager
I think it's whatever the load is in that particular area, if it's really heavy than the number could be lower or higher if the bandwidth usage is lower. You'll never get a straight answer from them since it seems to be at thier discretion. Don't the letters say you're x100% the national average? Whatever the average is anyones guess

I've never gotten a letter, but I rarely if ever use P2P type software, I am a streamin radio nut tho :)

lol, yeah. mine said i was using 100x the national average :p

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
i haven't had a chance to check out their user agreement.....anyone know how many GB per month they allow before being red flagged?

They're not saying. They're just saying 'lower it', and a lot of people claim they are lowering their usage and getting disconnected anyway.

BScott881

Mar 30, 2001
From what I'm hearing here I suppose the thing to do is just not worry about it. I think I'll try that usage meter tho, just to see what I do use.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Do you really think Comcast cares? High bandwith people cost them money. They want to get rid of high bandwith users. If it's by canning them or making them leave they don't care so long as they are gone. Companies only care about profit and high bandwith users cut into that profit. If they can get rid of those people they would need a less expensive connection to the internet and be more profitable.
If you ever have a question about a companies motive. Remeber this simple thing, a companies motive is profit.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
They can and do drop customers who get flagged and don't cut back on usage. Before you decide to tell Comcast to take a hike, be sure you have an alternative in mind. Check out dslreports.com for massive threads on this topic.

They have decided they don't need the .001% of customers who use 50x the bandwidth of the average customer.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm amazed I haven't gotten the letter. I don't do P2P but I do use Usenet, IRC, FTP, etc.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: BScott881

If you want a real laugh, give 'em a call and ask how much you should cut back.