anyone use a Pogoplug?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
after hearing about them, i picked one up.

I attached 2 external drives to it ( 500 Gb .avi movies & 50Gb .mp3 music). I downloaded the iPhone & Android apps thinking I could stream them because that's what Pogoplug says you can do.

however, it appears that every single movie has to be transcoded fully. Apparently pogoplug only transcodes the first 10 seconds of each.

anyone have more info on this? if you have one, how do you use yours?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I really thought this was going to be spam for some adult toy....

I use Samsung's Allshare software. Works great for streaming movies and music to my phone. I believe you can use it with any phone with a wifi connection.

Might want to check it out.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I really thought this was going to be spam for some adult toy....

I use Samsung's Allshare software. Works great for streaming movies and music to my phone. I believe you can use it with any phone with a wifi connection.

Might want to check it out.

Really? That pretty sweet, never heard of it.

Anyway I use pogoplug and I'm able to stream over wifi flawlessly. The way I use mine is that I don't use the pogoplug service. You can drag and drop files without the service so you don't need to transcode. There's a tutorial online on how to do this.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
what video file formats does it support? I wouldn't mind something that supported divx hd

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a pogoplug...
If you set it up in the settings to do full transcodes, it will do them automatically in the background. Depending on how many videos you load, that could take some time, but eventually it will finish. I use the android pogoplug app and it works ok. Although for some reason it won't play the videos if you go through the Library/Movies to view them. I have to go through the actual folder view.