Anyone up for some TF2?

TheInternet1980

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
8.9.15.62:27015

Chicago based. Custom maps/Fast Downloads, etc.

My map cycle looks like this, thus far.

cp_labor
cp_gravelpit
cp_vertigo_beta3
cp_dustbowl
cp_warpath
cp_granary
cp_shock
cp_well
ctf_rocknroll
ctf_2fort
cp_desertfortress
tc_hydro
cp_dam
ctf_well
cp_toy_fort_beta2
cp_badlands

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Oooohh, Chicago based? Those are about the closest servers I can find to me, so I ping well.

Interested to see those custom maps. They would be sweet if they are done well. Just posting here to mark the thread so I remember to check it out some other time. Join the AT Steam group and/or the AT TF2 Steam group... quite a few active players there last time I checked.

TheInternet1980

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
Keeping a server populated is a pain in the ass apparently.

The custom maps I have loaded are all pretty much top notch.

rocknroll and dam, both need some work, so I may replace them with a couple more established/polished maps.

Inferno0032

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2007
Played on it earlier as well, good time! Perhaps a more selected map approach would be good? People tend to stick to the maps they like, and those tend to stay populated more. So maybe it would be better to have a 24/7 server or only like 3 of the overall favorite maps or something along those lines? i'll try to help populate it!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Played on this for a bit yesterday and I quite like it. Even though it is on the opposite coast from me I still get around 100 ping or so, which is acceptable. I would have played more in the evening but Bioshock has its hooks in me. :D

I do agree though that there may be a few too many maps on it right now. While I enjoy the variety a lot of people like to stick to only a few favourites, so in the interest of gaining consistent server population, you may want to consider dropping a few maps.

KT

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Played on this for a bit yesterday and I quite like it. Even though it is on the opposite coast from me I still get around 100 ping or so, which is acceptable. I would have played more in the evening but Bioshock has its hooks in me. :D

I do agree though that there may be a few too many maps on it right now. While I enjoy the variety a lot of people like to stick to only a few favourites, so in the interest of gaining consistent server population, you may want to consider dropping a few maps.

KT

The problem I have with custom maps is that the quality varies so much. It's hard to find a good custom map and once you hit a bad one, it just ruins the whole flow of the game. People get fed up and either leave or put up with the crap for 20 minutes of misery.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

KT

The problem I have with custom maps is that the quality varies so much. It's hard to find a good custom map and once you hit a bad one, it just ruins the whole flow of the game. People get fed up and either leave or put up with the crap for 20 minutes of misery.

I agree. There are a few very well constructed customs, but there is also a tonne of garbage that is not worth playing. The one where you are in a giant kitchen comes to mind (it's called Rats or something I believe?), it's just terrible.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Cienja
I'll check it out this week :)

I've not attempted to join a server with only the ip address. I always go to "find servers" and select based on my preferences.

How do I join a server ip directly?

Thanks!

I just go to the favourites tab and click 'add a server' there you can put the IP address in, then it goes into your favourites and you can join from there.

KT

Cienja

Aug 27, 2007
www.inconsistentbabble.com
I'll check it out this week :)

I've not attempted to join a server with only the ip address. I always go to "find servers" and select based on my preferences.

How do I join a server ip directly?

Thanks!

I just go to the favourites tab and click 'add a server' there you can put the IP address in, then it goes into your favourites and you can join from there.

KT

Now, why didn't I ever see the "add server" button before?!? :)

Thanks for your help!

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
I'll try and get on some. I set up a server for an and when tf2 first came out but didn't have enough time to play to justify the cost. hopefully this will turn out better for you than it did for me =)

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
We should try and organize a game some time, which I know is almost always impossible to do effectively here, but would be worth a shot at least.

KT

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
in the console you can also enter connect <ip address>

I tend to stick to just the default maps since I don't play often so I don't want to keep downloading the favor of the week.

TheInternet1980

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
I'm up for some play right now, if you guys are around :)

Keeping this thing populated seems to be the largest pain in the ass right now...lol

As far as the customs go, I've tried to keep it pretty consistent in terms of quality...but your opinion may differ from mine.

I'm open to mapcycle suggestions :)

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Oh, I thought there were some people in it. My mistake. If someone else decides to pop in I will.