Anyone try out the new Age of Empires Online yet?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Looks like it was just added to Steam today, without much fanfare. Comes with 40 hours of free game time, but apparently your options are limited.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
From what I've heard about the game, it is almost purely pay to win. Nearly impossible to do much of anything without spending money.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have some coworkers who were huge into AoEII a while back, one day during lunch they decided to try out this new F2P version of it.

Basically: It's shit. If I understand correctly, you can't even play with your friends unless you pay some kind of fee. It's been watered down and whored out to a terrible pay2win gameplay model. A bit tragic.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I tried it, thought it wasn't bad, but wasn't crazy about the money setup; it was easy in the intor part and quickly pretty hard I thought. I wouldn't mind trying it again.

This was Chris Taylor's most recent game, the guy who did Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
If you're a fan of the classic AoE games, you'll be disappointed. If you like FarmVille, hack away.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Age of Empires : Rise of Rome and Age of Empires II are still my top 2 games of all time.

I sunk more hours into those games then any other game made.

I was really disappointed with Age of Empires Online. Wish they made it not Free to play, or Buy everything you need to win, to play.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Its not that bad but its not what most of us are looking for in the next age of empires game. Personally I would love to see an Age of Empires 4 where they took the game to the 1800's early 1900's. Or even better would be to just remake Age of Empires 2 with a modern graphics engine.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I played it in the Fall. It was ok. Just a bunch of missions where you kill or destroy things. Not that compelling to me. Maybe the PVP would be good but from what I hear. If you arent paying you will get destroyed.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been trying to like this game since it came out but I just can't do it. It's utterly miserable even with some of the paid content. I loved every other Age of game but this one is just horrible. It's painfully repetitive. You may get 40 hours of content for free but most of it is going to be replaying the same level over and over and over. I find the difficulty all over the place. Some levels seem way to easy while others seem brutally hard.

It's probably a good thing it's on Steam now because the regular installer/updater is the absolute worst I've EVER used. It puts files wherever it feels like (not where you tell it). Half the time it says the game is installed when it is not and just throws errors when you try to run it.

I just find this game a generally disgusting experience. I know I'll never trust another Microsoft Free to Play game again.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I see a crap load of DLC for it, thus confirming my stance that its a steaming pile of crud.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
UGH. It requires a key which Steam doesn't have. So you have to sign into GFWL in your browser and obtain a key. Why? It's freaking free to play.

And now it won't even accept my Windows Live sign in info.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I logged into GFWL but the server is apparently down and I can't get a key.

For a free game.

That I might have ended up buying DLC for.

Why the hell is it so difficult to play games these days? You know it's bad when a FREE game has a KEY that you can't even get.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I logged into GFWL but the server is apparently down and I can't get a key.

For a free game.

That I might have ended up buying DLC for.

Why the hell is it so difficult to play games these days? You know it's bad when a FREE game has a KEY that you can't even get.

Don't know... but all online games seem to have downtime, including ones you pay for.

Not sure why, either - they could keep them online I'd think, with swapping.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I need to uninstall the game and then install it in Steam to use the DLC.

There's no menu uninstall option - why not, much less in a Microsoft game?

Edit: more annoying, I found you're supposed to uninstall though the GFWL client. I did, it was almost immediate, it's off the list in the client - but still taking up 4GB.

It's also gone from the Windows control panel uninstaller. That leaves a manual deletion? That's not supposed to be required...

Last edited:

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A few more things I forgot to mention. The uninstaller is just as bad as the installer/updater. As some of you have mentioned, it doesn't seem to uninstall much of anything. I had to manually delete all the files (~4GB) it left scattered everywhere. I think most of it was in Appdata but I'm not sure.

As for the key issue. I'm pretty sure this game does NOT require a key. I think it only asks for a key when you screw up logging into GFWL. I figured they would have fixed this glaring issue by now but apparently not. I think if you get signed into GWFL properly (which can be an ordeal in itself) it will stop asking for a key.

I really think this game could have been programmed better if written by monkeys.