Anyone tried installing a 3GB HD inside an iMac?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Does the OS recognise the full 3GB? Is it used as a bootable drive? Which drive would you guys recommend? Since the platter is already so dense, does it matter if one goes with a 5400rpm or 7200rpm drive?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
You mean 3TB right? And the OS (assuming 10.5 or better) should recognize the drive no problem. And the drive platter speed shouldn't matter too much. If you want speed get an SSD.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Apple has used UEFI + GPT for ages. I can't imagine it not working to be honest.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

#1 - I read somewhere that Apple said that they would make the cables available for aftermarket use shortly. Also, one commenter said:

The OWC report is quite inaccurate and I wish they did some more testing or at least read the forums before creating mass panic.

The SATA data connectors are very standard and so is the SATA power cable feeding the hard drive. The only difference is that they used 7 wires instead of 5, probably some extra grounds.

I installed a Vertex3 SSD and used a plain 4 wire Y-splitter sata power cable which effectively discards the 3.3V from the apple’s wiring and only feeds 5V and 12V to the original drive. Guess what, fan speed is as quiet as it can get and the Apple Hardware Test passes successfully.

I went further and moved the internal HDD from SATA0 to SATA1 port to better accommodate the SATA connector for the SSD and this didn’t create any adverse effects.

Another member of the forum swapped the 1TB WD Black with a 2TB WD Black and again, no adverse effect, Hardware Test completed successfully.

#2 - Apple called the PC just another device thanks to iCloud - it looks like they're trying as hard as possible to make turnkey systems. You can't even easily replace a Mac Mini hard drive these days. The con is of course upgradability, but the pro is that you end up with something like the iPhone or iPad - "just works", and works great!

Just hoping they don't switch to ARM chips too soon, I'm enjoying my Hackintosh far too much right now ;)

umrigar

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2004
i will say don't try a 6GB/sec model - we tried a WD blue that didn't work (wouldn't format) even with the jumper on 5-6 forcing slower speed.

this was in a white iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, and it was a 1 TB drive.
ended up going with a Hitachi.

rugby

Oct 11, 2001
That iMac you tried it on doesn't have a 6G interface, why would you force that speed?