Anyone still want a radeon9700

CampKillYourself

Sep 7, 2002
with all the problems people have been having with the new radeon 9700. would anyone still recommend buying it, or would you wait for the new nvidia card, or would you just go and buy a GeForce4 or a Radeon 8500 or 9000??

Aug 27, 2002
If I had the $335 to plop down on one, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. You read all the negetive stuff about it, than all the good stuff, and think about, most people are going to write about things complaining about something more often that bragging on it. If I had problems, I'd be b'tch'ng a lot, but if I absolutly loved the card, I'd be online kicking some butt on q3 or ut2k3 instead of wasting forum bandwidth. The things I read most about problems are people with overclocked procs with brand new agp8x boards that haven't been through thier paces yet, and ATI is replacing bad boards for free because they already know about the gpu's bios problems with some of the agp8x boards, then everybody's happy just delayed in their fun.

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah who cares, if I buy the card and its so screwed up that it wont run on my machine, then I take 3 minutes and get an RMA, problem solved.

However, theres no denying the power of the 9700, IMO buying a TI4600 for $250 is incredibly foolish when the 9700 is only $335.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'll give it another month for the price to come down more, then i'm buying one.

JJd

Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Killrose
I'll give it another month for the price to come down more, then i'm buying one.
I can afford to wait 2-3 months. Then I'll change my mind again!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I think people want to complain because they want nvidia to look better. Its not like every Ti4600 card went in perfectly smoothly without problems.

silentScope

Apr 2, 2002
If one person has a problem, then most likely everyone has the same problem. Especially if it has to do with a game. From what i've been hearing, there are still problems with ATI's new drivers for the radeon 9700. The problems have to do wit hthe games, and weird things happening in them.

I personally will wait until the nv30 comes out. THere are 2 reasons why,
1. The 9700 will be so much cheaper.
2. ATI will have like 4-5 months to fix up the problems with the drivers.

Hope this helps. If you are willing to wait, then wait. IF not then blow 335$ on this card and then go through all the trouble of returning it and all that BS.. :p

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
i hope the nv30 kicks the isht out of the 9700... so ATI will come out with their R350 or whatever it is... after all that the 9700 should be so cheap that i could finally buy it. :D

CampKillYourself

Sep 7, 2002
thanks for the advice. i think i will prolly will get the 9700. it doesnt seem to be having any problems with cs,quake3,unreal tournament or war3, which are basically all the games i like to play. and im hoping that most of the problems will be fixed in the upcoming drivers

cKy

joe4324

Jun 25, 2001
Dude your going to buy a 9700 just to play CS,quake3 and UT?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!!!

I can play all of those games at a acceptable framerate with a decent resolution on a geforce 2 GTS! are you going for pure 1600x1200 gamming above 100 FPS?

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
I've read some issues with AGP8x which are kinda disturbing, but it might just be a SiS/VIA think. IIRC the Intel 8x board that ATI was testing on worked fine.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
with all the problems people have been having with the new radeon 9700
I'd take most of the problems listed at Rage3D with a grain of salt as a lot of the people submitting are either overclockers and/or haven't removed all traces of their previous video card. Also several of the known issues have already been fixed in the Direct3D patch/

My card works great with mostly only minor issues in a few games.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: joe4324

I can play all of those games at a acceptable framerate with a decent resolution on a geforce 2 GTS! are you going for pure 1600x1200 gamming above 100 FPS?

This much is true. Maybe he wants to play UT2K3. That will do the 9700 justice.

lung

Apr 17, 2002
I just bought a 9700 Pro and I am soooo glad I did. This thing completely hauls. No problems in any games other than the few minor bugs that are already know about like Battlefield 1942. I just can't wait for UT2003 and Doom3 to come out. The build of UT2003 that I do have looks absolutely amazing.

It's good to see ATI finally make a comeback. I was a loyal Nvidiot for the longest time, but I am totally happy with my 9700 Pro.

CampKillYourself

Sep 7, 2002
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia
Originally posted by: joe4324

This much is true. Maybe he wants to play UT2K3. That will do the 9700 justice.

i get that comment from alot of people. but i am a big gamer and like great quality for all my games. i do plan on playing ut2k3 and doom3 also. i also just got a new pc and all i need to finish it was a new video card. you know so i can have the best comp at lan's :)

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
If one person has a problem, then most likely everyone has the same problem. Especially if it has to do with a game

Thats incorrect most of the time. The most difficult part of writing drivers is compatability over the vast array of hardware that exists....that especially true when you are talking games. What you state would only be true if everyone had the same setup...like a console.

I'd say the 9700 has had a very good launch, and most of the troubles are pretty minor in nature. The fact that ATI is moving quickly to deliver patches, and technical advice, is a testament to commitment to their drivers IMHO.

silentScope

Apr 2, 2002
Yep, I apologize for generalizing. I'm sure ATI is putting some time and effort at fixing things. Thats why im sure it'll be worth the wait. In about 4 months they should have fixed everything. So the 9700 will be cheaper and better :) I CANT WAIT! Hammer + Radeon 9700.. (or nv30... *drooool*)

Moishe

Feb 27, 2002
I'm with Slientscope on this one. waiting can only hurt if you MUST have the latest stuff. I think in 3 months the R9700 will still be good for 2+ years, therefore in 3 months, I'll be able to judge on what I should get, and everything out now will be CHEAPER. I'm not rich...

I'm also *kinda* waiting for Serial ATA and DDRII.... I wanna get a good next-gen pc to last me awhile.

I may not get everything, but waiting 3 months can't hurt me.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
i get that comment from alot of people. but i am a big gamer and like great quality for all my games. i do plan on playing ut2k3 and doom3 also. i also just got a new pc and all i need to finish it was a new video card. you know so i can have the best comp at lan's :)

I'm with ya. Everytime I get a new video card it's like getting some sort of massive software upgrade to every game title I own. Since I have a couple grand worth of games it's always worth it.

And yes, I just put together a new gaming box too. Like I want that funky blue video card sitting on my red motherboard under a red neon light. I gotta get the red ATI to match. Geez. Some people on this board have no fashion sense. They probably carry black purses before labor day.

:D