Anyone seen THIS scam before?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Posted my car for sale on Craigslist today, and got an email perhaps within an hour of posting. The thing is, I though the potential buyer was mistaken, as he replied to me with the subject line of a completely different car. My reply back said something like "Um, you sure you have the right listing? I don't have a car matching that description..."

The subsequent response instantly set my scam-o-meter on red alert!

Thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an instant
purchase,so please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist.I dont mind
adding an extra $50 dollars for you to take the advert down from
criagslist so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item.
I will also like you to know that i will be paying via cashiers check or money order.
You dont need to bother your self with the shippment ok,I will take care of that.So I
will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.
1.Your full name.
2.Your mailing address,be it residential or postal address.
3.Your phone number.
**Once again ,I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for
shipping.
I will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check**
Do Have a nice day,
My Warmest Regards

So there it is, most likely an automated message, with several clear 419-esque M.O.'s. A brilliant scam though if it were worded better (why would you need "shipping" on a car?) Get the victim's name, and all appropriate contact information, and viola! Instant identity theft. And the bonus? You have likely an address that an available car is sitting at waiting to be stolen.

My Warmest Regards

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
=] do it do it. Try to get the person to respond. Give them a fake address and name and see what he does, but try to keep it believable. Act dumb like you think its a real bite.

warmodder

Nov 1, 2007
This is a pretty common scam. They will actually mail you a check above the list price and tell you to send back the difference. The check goes through, you send the money, and when the bank figures out it's bad you get stuck with the full price.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: warmodder
This is a pretty common scam. They will actually mail you a check above the list price and tell you to send back the difference. The check goes through, you send the money, and when the bank figures out it's bad you get stuck with the full price.

Interesting.

I had a noob in WoW do this to me asking me to COD the item it to him; turns out he was doing it to take it off the market. Don't know if that's the source of this scam ~

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Get a PO box... then give him someone else's information to see if they will steal his car.

Then sit back and laugh at the incident over a few beers with friends.