anyone seen the new intel / mac commercial?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I couldn't believe it, saw the new commercial announcing that intel is now used in Macintoshes (is that the correct plural of Macintosh?), and they were saying how the intel processor has had a dull, confined life so far, and they kept saying the word "dull", except pronouncing it a bit too much like the work "Dell". :Q

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
I don't think it was an intentional snub at Dell at all. I do think Apple shouldn't have copied the Postal Service, though.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: fs5
actually they insulted Postal Service
So I've seen the commercial a few times, but I've yet to notice an insult to the USPS. What am I missing? :confused:

Analogsoul

Mar 25, 2000

So I've seen the commercial a few times, but I've yet to notice an insult to the USPS. What am I missing?

Actually it's the band the Postal Service Apple is ripping off. That footage is from one of their videos.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Megatomic
So I've seen the commercial a few times, but I've yet to notice an insult to the USPS. What am I missing? :confused:

Not the USPS, the band, the Postal Service. Go find the video for Such Great Heights. It's the same director as the Intel commercial, but the actual band was uninformed about it.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
:confused:
That's Moby ...

edit: oh, the video?

edit2: not the video cause that's just some guy in a grass field ..

If you mean the music, it's Moby, God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
that is SO a sly little dig at DELL... wonder if the intel boys realised what was going on or if Apple snuck it under the radar?

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Megatomic
Hmm, I'll check that out. How could they have made such a blunder? :Q

I'm sure Apple knew about it, but they felt that since the directors were making the video, they owned the rights to the Postal Service video. Even if legally they do, I think that ethically, it was a wrong choice by Apple. They even posted the Postal Service video on the front page of the iTunes Music Store.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: crazylegs
that is SO a sly little dig at DELL... wonder if the intel boys realised what was going on or if Apple snuck it under the radar?

Intel was shown the ad right before the keynote, and they had some second thoughts about it, but went along with it anyway.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: myusername
:confused:
That's Moby ...

edit: oh, the video?

edit2: not the video cause that's just some guy in a grass field ..

If you mean the music, it's Moby, God Moving Over the Face of the Waters

Original video:
http://67.88.217.34/downloads/free/Such_Great_Heights275.mov

It's actually the same director as the video, and from what I understand Gibbard isn't too happy about it.

-z

EDIT: lol...that google video is a class project.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i saw one of the commercials last night

didn't watch it very closely

just seems weird that they do this when intel is spiralling down and its technology is sucking hiney

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i saw one of the commercials last night

didn't watch it very closely

just seems weird that they do this when intel is spiralling down and its technology is sucking hiney

It's not as if changing from Intel to AMD later down the line would be so hard tho, is it...

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I'm going to the local mac store with my bunny suit on listening to my ipod...:thumbsup:

Jun 19, 2004
I heard it last night. It only caught my attention because Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) did the voice over. I kept waiting to hear "This commercial takes place between 6am and....bleep....bleep....bleep....bleep"

I laughed at the general PC dis over Mac, thinking Intel had some balls to potentially alienate some people, but didn't make the Dell connection. I can see that now though looking back on it.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Remember, it's _THE_ Intel chip.

...and you thought Intel made more than one chip all these years...