Anyone running a dual core cpu on windows 98?

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
I am going to upgrade to a dual core sometime soon and want to have one hard drive running win98. I only keep it because there are some old games I like playing on windows 98 that play better or only on the OS. So if you have done it, does everything run fine and dandy or do I need to be awary of anything. If so I might have to keep a box around running what I currently have.

thanks

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
Go out and get a 64bit eMachine with MCE and play the newer versions of your older games. You'll will be amazed with all the changes, or not.

Mar 19, 2003
Interesting question...I would assume that Win98 will only see one processor and it'll be like running one fast A64. Total guess though :p, but I'd be kinda surprised if there were any real issues with your proposed setup.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Interesting question...I would assume that Win98 will only see one processor and it'll be like running one fast A64. Total guess though :p, but I'd be kinda surprised if there were any real issues with your proposed setup.

The above description is probably what's going to happen although it can affect the speed of WIN98 games.

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
Go out and get a 64bit eMachine with MCE and play the newer versions of your older games. You'll will be amazed with all the changes, or not.

What is this MCE stuff? I have not heard of this before but it sounds interesting.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Most of today's new hardware do not include drivers for Windows 98. Stuff like motherboards will most likely install, but alot of the features will not install a driver for; so you'll most likely have alot of those yellow exclaimation marks in Device Manager.

Windows 98 required a patch if your CPU speed was too high. It also required alot of fiddling around with tweaks if you had more than 512mb of memory.

If you absolutely must run Windows 98, I recommend either downloading Vmware's Server or Microsoft's Virtual Server 2005 R2. Both of these products are free and will allow you to run a virtual machine with a majority of the operating systems in existance today. I know from experience, Vmware emulates an Intel class 440BX based machine to the virtual environment, which will allow Windows 98 to run without too many issues.

mellondust

Nov 20, 2001
Looks like the easiest thing for me to do will be to keep my stuff and pull it out when I want to play these games.

Thanks for the input.

batmanuel

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
Now that you mention this, I'm waiting for some hardcore old-school gamer to try to get a Powerbook to triple boot between OS X, Win XP and 98.