Anyone replace the glass on an iPhone 6?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
We ordered new iPhones for our older two kids. The deal we had requires us to turn in two eligible phones.

Turns out my daughter neglected to mention she cracked the upper right corner of the glass on her iPhone 6 until we received the new one in the mail.

We need to send these old phone back soon. So I’m looking for recommendations on how to get the screen repaired.

• Do it my self? if so what kit?
  • Apple store?
  • Gadget repair place?
Thanks!

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
I took mine to a local Batteries Plus. It was about $80 and there is a coupon available on their website. They disconnected the ear piece and I had to take it back so check everything before you leave the store if you have a service do it. That may also be a warning that it is tough to do on your own.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I took mine to a local Batteries Plus. It was about $80 and there is a coupon available on their website. They disconnected the ear piece and I had to take it back so check everything before you leave the store if you have a service do it. That may also be a warning that it is tough to do on your own.

It was difficult. I did it myself with a $30 kit off Amazon and ended up damaging the home button ribbon cable. It was thoroughly glued down. So I had to take it to a store anyway to get the button fixed. The total cost was about the same as if I had had them do the glass.

The one issue was, while they could get the home button working they couldn’t re-enable touchID. However Sprint accepted the phone without it working.

Having tried it once I could probably do it correctly next time. Still it’s a pain in the ass.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, the TouchID home button and screen are integrated and the Secure Enclave wont accept the TouchID if the screen has been replaced by someone other than Apple. There was an update to IOS9 that actually started bricking iPhone 6's with screen replacements since it felt like TouchID was modified. It was actually an error on Apple's part but consistent with their security philosophy.

http://www.player.one/updating-ipho...e-only-solution-problem-buy-new-iphone-509933

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Yup, the TouchID home button and screen are integrated and the Secure Enclave wont accept the TouchID if the screen has been replaced by someone other than Apple. There was an update to IOS9 that actually started bricking iPhone 6's with screen replacements since it felt like TouchID was modified. It was actually an error on Apple's part but consistent with their security philosophy.

http://www.player.one/updating-ipho...e-only-solution-problem-buy-new-iphone-509933

Well in my case it would have been fine if I didn’t nick the cable running from the home button.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I did the one on my 5S so not sure the difference. I also used a kit from amazon.

I thought it was pretty easy. The only insane part are the 'screws' that resemble lint in size. I want to know how they can make threads that small!

sonitravel09

Jun 25, 2014
Try amazon.co.uk for reviews.

You can purchase one for around £30.

iFixit has some great guides on this.

Hope this helps.