Anyone remember big "Wishbook" department store catalogs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Haven't gone through them yet, but did any of you do latch hook stuff? You could make cheezy wall hangings and pillow cases out of your "creations". It was kind of like a textile paint by numbers kit, and amusing in the same way solitaire is, but you get a tangible result from your time wasted.

kqXa0.jpg

Thank God I wasn't the only one. As for the "wishlist," YES! My brother and I probably ended up circling everything in those catalogs. So much fun.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
what's odd is I dont see any of the Star Wars toys I used to dool over. Nor any of the lingerie.

79 and 85 Sears catalogs have quite a bit Star Wars stuff. I didn't see any in the 83 catalog so either I missed it or it has missing pages.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
79 and 85 Sears catalogs have quite a bit Star Wars stuff. I didn't see any in the 83 catalog so either I missed it or it has missing pages.

havent checked the 79 or 85 yet.
I scanned the 83 and didnt see squat.
Where's the womenz at though?!?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
To the OP: thanks again for a memory lane thread. This along with your Saturday morning cartoon ones a few days back... makes me feel old... old but happy :)

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
To the OP: thanks again for a memory lane thread. This along with your Saturday morning cartoon ones a few days back... makes me feel old... old but happy :)

Yeah, thanks OP. I've been on quite the retro kick lately -- I turn 40 this year and I think it is making me reflect on some of these awesome times. I even pulled out the old C64 this last weekend and plan on hooking it back up and seeing if my disks actually still work.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Service Merchandise was cool back in the day. They had great catalogs too. Damn it was cool getting to buy something from there and seeing it come out on that conveyor belt.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
IndyColtsfan and Homerboy:

You're welcome :D

I just hit 41 this month so I am one of you "old timers" (which is why I made this and my other "nostalgia" threads).

When you get those childhood memories that come rushing back (quite a rush it is!), it doesn't seem like that long ago (has it REALLY been 30+ years!), does it?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
Service Merchandise was cool back in the day. They had great catalogs too. Damn it was cool getting to buy something from there and seeing it come out on that conveyor belt.
Ha, I forgot about the conver belt until you mentioned it. Keep looking at all the boxes that come up front .... nope not ours, nope, ... here it is.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
IndyColtsfan and Homerboy:

You're welcome :D

I just hit 41 this month so I am one of you "old timers" (which is why I made this and my other "nostalgia" threads).

When you get those childhood memories that come rushing back (quite a rush it is!), it doesn't seem like that long ago (has it REALLY been 30+ years!), does it?

I'm "only" 36 so you and Indy have a leg up on me in that department. But I recall all this stuff vividly (I have 4 older brothers/sisters too). I realized I was old this past year when it came to my realization that the kids graduating HS this past year, were BORN when I graduate.

My mind still feels young... my joints and bones disagree.

Cienja

Aug 27, 2007
www.inconsistentbabble.com
I did the latch hook stuff too. My mom made us have one hour of "quiet time" each day during the summer - no Mr. Rogers, no Sesame Street - latch hook or cross stitch.

The '76 catalog I looked at last night had the Six Million Dollar Man set - fucking loved that toy!

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
i used to love that place. it was the best place to get hewlett packard calculators. i also got a handheld sharp computer and a tag heuer watch there. there were two similar stores, called best products and consumers distributing that were pretty cool as well

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

We bought our wedding rings from Service Merchandise. I lost mine. :'(

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i'm going to fill out this order form with a bunch of Star Wars and GI Joe toys and send it to sears. i demand these toys at these prices.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
i'm going to fill out this order form with a bunch of Star Wars and GI Joe toys and send it to sears. i demand these toys at these prices.

If you are going to try that - Go for the pricing of big ticket items in that 1933 catalog!