Anyone play Borderlands?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the great replies - very helpful!

Craig234 - sorry to hijack your thread a bit.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Another vote for KB/M. If it's a FPS game, and KB/M is an option, I always go KB/M. This game is no exception. I suppose it comes down to what you're more comfortable with. Other than that, I can't think of a single advantage (performance-wise) with a controller over KB/M.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Another vote for KB/M. If it's a FPS game, and KB/M is an option, I always go KB/M. This game is no exception. I suppose it comes down to what you're more comfortable with. Other than that, I can't think of a single advantage (performance-wise) with a controller over KB/M.

I guess one way to think about is that Gaige would be better with a gamepad, because the idea with her is to aim at floors and walls--shoot everything that isn't your target. Gamepad should make that much easier. :D

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I started over, stayed with Salvadore and went strictly kb/m. Got up to level 5 and unlocked my "Gunzerker" skill. Good times so far. I can't believe the depth of this game.....I've already cycled through numerous different guns and shields.

Fixed the screen tearing issue too.....had to set FPS to "Unlimited" instead of the default "Smoothed 32-64 FPS".

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Fixed the screen tearing issue too.....had to set FPS to "Unlimited" instead of the default "Smoothed 32-64 FPS".

ah yeah, that'll do it. This is a PS3 era game and you definitely don't want to force it to run at potato level performance, as you aren't playing it on a potato.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
A question: in the Borderlands games is money useful for anything?

I've accumulated over $20K and this is after giving Moxxxi a $10K tip to get that achievement. I haven't seen a gun vending machine offer any decent weapons yet. And ammo is plentiful in the world and cheap at the ammo machine.

So I'm wondering what I need all this money for. I've been going out of my way to collect the yellow money laying on the ground. I think that's probably a waste of time. True?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A question: in the Borderlands games is money useful for anything?

I've accumulated over $20K and this is after giving Moxxxi a $10K tip to get that achievement. I haven't seen a gun vending machine offer any decent weapons yet. And ammo is plentiful in the world and cheap at the ammo machine.

So I'm wondering what I need all this money for. I've been going out of my way to collect the yellow money laying on the ground. I think that's probably a waste of time. True?

It costs to respawn when you die, and that is probably where most of your money will be spent. It scales tremendously based on how much money you have. ....I think I have some $100mill+ on those BL2 characters, and respawning costs a couple million every time, haha.

Vending machines are a good place to find decent gear, but like all the chests, they have their own drop rate, timer. It is always a good idea to quickly check one and all whenever you see them, because the deal of the day slot can drop legendaries. ...especially in the Torgue DLC, which uses Torgue specific coins. ...for a Sal player, it would be worth it for you to actually farm the vending machine in that main bar spawn point--basically, load, check machine, reload, check machine, repeat over and over, because it can spawn an Unkempt Harold, generally regarded as the best gun for Sal. If you slot Rubi or the Grog Nozzle (mission-specific Moxxi weapons, that will always spawn in one-time missions) in the other hand, and gunzerk that with your Unkemplt Harold, it makes for an invulnerable Sal.

--also if you haven't gotten that mission yet, when collecting booze for Mordecai, and Moxxie offers you to destroy it, take her offer. Mordecai offers a crappy sniper rifle, and Moxxi gives you Rubi, which is an extremely useful gun to slot, even in end-game (it's your swap-to, heal thyself, swap back option)

Reactions: rivethead