Anyone pick up Dark Souls 3 (III)?

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Getting it on PC. A very rare pre-order from me. I'm working this Sat & Sun, so taking Tues & Wed off :D. Fly in late Monday night, hopefully it unlocks at midnight.

Only recently got into these games. Started with Bloodborne, beat that a couple months ago. Then I played through DS2 & DS1 over the last couple months. All excellent games.

Think I enjoyed BB the most though, and it appears DS3 has more in common with it. That coupled with 60fps and high res should be awesome.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Nah. I tried the first on PC, and it controlled so badly that I gave up after not even an hour, just because it was unpleasant. I was disappointed, because I wanted to try a game that would be difficult, so that it just didn't play well drove me off.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Nah. I tried the first on PC, and it controlled so badly that I gave up after not even an hour, just because it was unpleasant. I was disappointed, because I wanted to try a game that would be difficult, so that it just didn't play well drove me off.

Were you using a controller? Controls worked without issue to me with a XB1 controller.

Don't know if it was a re-release or the first edition to come to PC, but I played through the Prepare to Die pc version without a hitch. The graphics are all screwed up and 30fps cap until you download and configure it with DSFix, but other than that the game ran flawlessly.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Were you using a controller? Controls worked without issue to me with a XB1 controller.

Don't know if it was a re-release or the first edition to come to PC, but I played through the Prepare to Die pc version without a hitch. The graphics are all screwed up and 30fps cap until you download and configure it with DSFix, but other than that the game ran flawlessly.

As a die hard PC gamer i too hated this game on the PC. I had it on my PS3 (dark souls) and loved it and "assumed" the keyboard/mouse which i vastly prefer over a gamepad would just make that game that much better. Boy was i wrong, its not that it couldn't work well on a PC, its just not setup well, and cant be without a huge amount of hoops to jump through. But the gamepad (360) on the PC works just as good as the console and with the unofficial patch (grpahics) its really a better game on PC (Dark souls). The newer 2, I have no idea as i just pick them up on console now, as they simply just play the best with a gamepad.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013

I played the PtD version with a 360 controller. It's not that the game wasn't working, it's that the game FELT bad. The controls weren't fluid at all. It felt like you were moving underwater, or in peanut butter. It was the same thing that made me hate Mass Effect and never go back. I don't need to be running around and super fast, but I don't want everything to feel like I weigh 800 pounds when I move.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Weird, to me it's the perfect example of how combat and control should be.

to me Witcher is a slog pit when it comes to control. With DS I make a dex build and pick apart everything with precision.

Bloodborne was basically my perfect game.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I played the PtD version with a 360 controller. It's not that the game wasn't working, it's that the game FELT bad. The controls weren't fluid at all. It felt like you were moving underwater, or in peanut butter. It was the same thing that made me hate Mass Effect and never go back. I don't need to be running around and super fast, but I don't want everything to feel like I weigh 800 pounds when I move.

Hmm, controls felt perfectly fine to me. Did play through Bloodborne and then DS2 before playing DS1 though. Got my ass beat down for hours in BB before figuring some things out.

Were you overweight? If you equip 50%+ of your capacity, all your movement is terribly slow and cumbersome, and makes playing a pain imo. 25-50% is faster, and under 25% you move even faster. Always kept my weight below 50%. Also didn't discover you could sprint until I was almost finished with BB lol.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
No, I'm talking the start of the game. I was MAYBE an hour in. It's just that I don't like the game's movement. It was the same for Mass Effect. Most people think those games to be awesome. I played a few hours and thought the player movement unbearably sluggish and never wanted to go back.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
ordered it on amazon a month ago and they still haven't shipped it out yet. wtf!

That's Amazon's way of telling you to subscribe to Prime. Prime you get release day and 20% off, otherwise they'll be sure it arrives on the last day of your quoted delivery time frame.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
I just bought a PS4 a week ago so I'm playing Bloodborne first. Loved Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls II. Can't wait to pick III up.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
That's Amazon's way of telling you to subscribe to Prime. Prime you get release day and 20% off, otherwise they'll be sure it arrives on the last day of your quoted delivery time frame.

I do have prime...

Still not shipped yet as of today, but its been in that "prepared for shipment" status for the past couple of days already.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I do have prime...

Still not shipped yet as of today, but its been in that "prepared for shipment" status for the past couple of days already.

I would call them then? That would be completely unacceptable with Prime if it stated release day delivery. Did it quote you a delivery window when ordering? International order, special edition?

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013

Or get GCU for $15/year, then hit up a local Best Buy for 20% off and pickup when the store opens. Skips waiting until 6 PM for a delivery, if you're near the end of a UPS route (which I am). Plus, some games give a $10 pre-order rewards cert at BB, meaning $10 off the next game you get 20% off.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001
I got the game yesterday and played it for a while. I got to the fat knight guy walking around the fountain, didn't engage him yet though. Game seems pretty easy so far...

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Do you need to have played/completed DS1 and DS2 to play the third one? DS3 look really nice. I own DS2 but didn't really played that much...

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Do you need to have played/completed DS1 and DS2 to play the third one? DS3 look really nice. I own DS2 but didn't really played that much...

No. DS barely gives any kind of guidance or story. You'll probably get your dick stomped into the ground without the previous game play experience, but you'll be just as lost whether you start with DS1 or DS3.

I would play some more of DS2 though if you're on the edge. DS3 may look way nicer, but if you don't enjoy the DS2 game you probably won't like DS3 either.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
No. DS barely gives any kind of guidance or story. You'll probably get your dick stomped into the ground without the previous game play experience, but you'll be just as lost whether you start with DS1 or DS3.

I would play some more of DS2 though if you're on the edge. DS3 may look way nicer, but if you don't enjoy the DS2 game you probably won't like DS3 either.

Well, last time I played DS2 I got to the place that have giant-like monsters in a greek setting...at that point I couldn't get that far even though I was level 20+...

I think my #1 problem is that I tend to just charge in and try to kill ASAP...I don't take the time ot learn the pattern of the monsters and eventually get destroyed...

I just need to be more patient and play slowly...and those damn parry...4/5 are failed...need to master this technique, seems really useful.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Well, last time I played DS2 I got to the place that have giant-like monsters in a greek setting...at that point I couldn't get that far even though I was level 20+...

I think my #1 problem is that I tend to just charge in and try to kill ASAP...I don't take the time ot learn the pattern of the monsters and eventually get destroyed...

I just need to be more patient and play slowly...and those damn parry...4/5 are failed...need to master this technique, seems really useful.

Yea you definitely have to learn some patience. Even the weakest of enemies can kill you if you aren't careful. Especially if you're being attacked by multiple enemies simultaneously. Always try to lure them into 1v1 battles if possible.

Also don't have to fight everything. Can sneak or run by a lot if they're giving you trouble. There are also areas that are way beyond your level unless you're really good at the game, but the game doesn't hold your hand and lets you go where you please.

I'm certainly not the greatest at these games, but did complete 1 & 2. Almost done with 3. Never learned to parry either.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001

Yea, I have played all the dark souls and demon soul games and I love them. These games are unforgiving if you are not careful. And that is why I love these games. You die because of YOUR mistakes, not because the game is unfair.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
If the controls were more flexible I would have gotten this game day one. M/K would be nice. I really suck with those thumb sticks. and need a fixed camera like Ninja Gaiden. Of course, I know I'm in the minority here.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yea you definitely have to learn some patience. Even the weakest of enemies can kill you if you aren't careful. Especially if you're being attacked by multiple enemies simultaneously. Always try to lure them into 1v1 battles if possible.

Also don't have to fight everything. Can sneak or run by a lot if they're giving you trouble. There are also areas that are way beyond your level unless you're really good at the game, but the game doesn't hold your hand and lets you go where you please.

I'm certainly not the greatest at these games, but did complete 1 & 2. Almost done with 3. Never learned to parry either.

Interesting to know! I also started Bloodborne, which I freaking love but again, you have to be patient and learn your enemies tactics and the limit of your character. I love that aspects in this series and i'm a huge fan of no hand holding.

My only problem is I play DS/BB like I play Diablo, which is not helping :p

Last edited: