Anyone own a Apple TV media player?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm getting to the point where I need to upgrade my Media Center PC since it looks like the mobo is going out on it.

I'm running MCE 2005 also and wanted to put Vista Ultimate in the process but when I factor in the cost of a new case (can't reuse my shuttle SFF case), mobo and OS, it's gonna cost close to or more than then $300 price tag of the Apple TV.

I just want a device that can easily stream my divx/xvid movies to my HD TV via DVI and be able to decode the 5.1 audio also.

Does anyone own one and have any advice on them?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I don't believe the Apple TV player can do 720p. Goosemaster had a thread discussing these details that you should check.

Edit: Here's the thread and I was only partially correct; it can only do 720p at 24fps.

Here's Anand's review of the Apple TV.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
There's a hack for it that allows USB drives to be hooked up and used. I'm sure there's a way to get it to read xvid/divx.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
It's literally iTunes on your TV, it has no where near the functionality of MCE.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Quasmo
It's literally iTunes on your TV, it has no where near the functionality of MCE.

I know but I really don't do anything with MCE other than stream my divx/xvid collection over to my HD TV.

I have a Comcast DVR so have no use for the TV functions.

I'll play music also but this Apple TV does that as well.

I'm somewhat interested in it as it seems to do what I'm looking for (with some hacking)

Guess it's just a (potentially) cheaper solution than keeping the MCE PC going.

Maybe I should have just kept my modded Xbox? :p

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
You can get some external hard drives that will play stuff on your TV.
Like this
Dunno what's available in the US though. But basically it'll make your hard drive be a network drive, which can also play directly onto your TV.