anyone out there with their own ASN?

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
have a customer that said they couldn't justify getting their own Class C ASN from ARIN. they've got 100+ locations and are a bank. i woulda thought it woulda been a cake-walk. they're wanting to BGP my DS3 connection in our NY datacenter with a Qwest connection in Bryan-College Station.

if anyone with a smaller network has successfully begged for an ASN, lemme know how ya got it so i can spread the wealth to these guys.

thanks!

deadseasquirrel

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
if they want to advertise on both ISPs then they'll need an ASN.

Arin should give him one for multihoming. They have to.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
i havent talked to the customer directly... only the salesperson did. he said that the bank couldn't justify to ARIN for getting an ASN. i'm thinking like you... as long as you pay the $$$, you got one. so, i'm confused. he wouldn't need any IP address space from ARIN, just the ASN... so what's to justify?? he doesn't even have to justify to get the Class C from us or Qwest cuz it's given w/o a problem for multihoming.

i figure i'll get it straightened out when the customer calls me back.

deadseasquirrel

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Getting the ASN actually has nothing to do with getting a Class C block. :) An ASN is an ASN.

Here's the form:

http://www.arin.net/library/templates/asn-request.txt

There are limited AS numbers possible, so justification is normal, however simply the fact that they'll be multihomed should cover it. However, an AS number is NOT justified unless the customer is also going to have their OWN assigned IP block, not one leased from the ISP. Only one AS number is allowed to manage a network block, so if you get a block from Qwest, another provider cannot broadcast routing data for it. The other ISP can't accept routing data for that block from the customer either, because the customer doesn't "own" the block. It can technically be done, but requires a lot more setup and may end up causing problems, and most ISPs won't have anything to do with routing blocks assigned to another ISP.

Lord Evermore

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh, here's more info too:

http://www.arin.net/library/guidelines/asn.html

Also, the issue of an assigned network block: the ISP leasing you the block CAN give you control of the network, but it has to be registered as such (like a sub-assignee, I don't recall the exact phrase or process). Then you are allowed to broadcast the route information to your other ISPs.