Anyone notice the lack of scandals under Obama?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Awesome how when it's your messiah then people are "redefining scandal", and "grasping at straws". Political apologist will go to great lengths to pretend their guy didn't do anything wrong.

Obama is far from a messiah. My problems with Obama are not that he's corrupt or doing much in the way of scandalous behavior, it's that he never followed through on the promises he made prior to the election. He put the same people in key positions that played a big role in getting us into the economic crisis that he inherited (Summers, Geithner, Rubin). See the 2010 documentary, Inside Job. He never went after the people who bankrupted huge corporations and walked off with golden parachutes that boggle the mind (often hundreds of millions of dollars). None of those people were prosecuted or shaken down for their ill-gotten riches.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That would be Janet Reno.

reno_f.jpg

Dude, you all don't know ugly.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
!!

You may be next!! How can you all be so blind and forgiving over Obama murdering a religious man?!?!

If someone's about to shoot you be sure to cross yourself. No one in his right mind would murder someone who's overtly religious. Now, OBL was a zealot and he murdered in the name of Allah. Of course, I have to wonder if you aren't putting us on with this tirade, seriously. Any honest person knows that tipping off the Pakistani's that they were about to take out OBL would have probably doomed the project to failure. Obama was already on record with saying he had no qualms in going into Pakistan after Bin Laden, with or without the help of the Pakistanis if he knew where he was. He simply followed through with that in 2011. His political capital in the USA went way up as a result, polls showed that immediately.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If someone's about to shoot you be sure to cross yourself. No one in his right mind would murder someone who's overtly religious. Now, OBL was a zealot and he murdered in the name of Allah. Of course, I have to wonder if you aren't putting us on with this tirade, seriously. Any honest person knows that tipping off the Pakistani's that they were about to take out OBL would have probably doomed the project to failure. Obama was already on record with saying he had no qualms in going into Pakistan after Bin Laden, with or without the help of the Pakistanis if he knew where he was. He simply followed through with that in 2011. His political capital in the USA went way up as a result, polls showed that immediately.
The needle on your meter dun busted off.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I guess the his recent appointments to the NLRB aren't considered a scandal, even though it violates the constitution?

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
Of course, I have to wonder if you aren't putting us on with this tirade, seriously.

I am mocking the people who criticize Obama for things he really shouldn't be criticized for, all the while bringing up a pretty awesome accomplishment - which of course was possible only because it was carried out by a group of extremely talented, skilled and brave Navy Seals.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
to many people in here and elsewhere, Obama being himself all uppity is already a huge scandal. It'll probably take another 4 years of Obama for some to fully adjust their mental ineptitude and bigotry to a more sociable level. Can't wait to help make that happen this Nov.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I read the thread title wrong and saw the word "sandals". Figured it was a dig on all the people still calling him messiah sarcastically.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
If there's a lack of scandal under obama, i'd attribute it to the fact that he's a right wing plant.

He's continuing most bush era policy. Fast & Furious was happening under GWB also. OMG he assassinated an accused terrorist who was a US citizen!!! Alot of left wingers back him because of party lines, and then there are some right wingers who go against him because of party lines.

With Obama we also have the recent signing of NDAA. If we learned anything from the Patriot act, it's been made clear that laws like this that they say are for terrorists will be used on other people.

I believe the patriot act was used some 1500 times against average criminals and only 1-2 times in actual terror related cases.

That gives opponents of NDAA a clear reference to how the government works. NDAA, SOPA... we might have to censor ourselves in the future on forums like these.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Some of you must be really young to be grasping at some of these obama scandal straws. I'll agree with Craig on this one.

I'd really love to believe it's just youth that causes this alarming phenomenon, but...

Agreed. Craig is correct, Obama is (so far!) quite different than both the Nixon and Bush varieties of Presidents. Definitely a good thing.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Pres. Obama could be roasting and eating poodles at the White House and there would be some people that wouldn't consider it a scandal.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
to many people in here and elsewhere, Obama being himself all uppity is already a huge scandal. It'll probably take another 4 years of Obama for some to fully adjust their mental ineptitude and bigotry to a more sociable level. Can't wait to help make that happen this Nov.

When in doubt, use the race card! :rolleyes:

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
Pres. Obama could be roasting and eating poodles at the White House and there would be some people that wouldn't consider it a scandal.

so instead of the tiring calling him a muslim black now he's a korean? make up your god damn mind.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

Very true. And, as a reversal, Obama could eliminate the deficit overnight, bring about world peace, and we'd still hear "NObama" from some people. None so blind as those who will not see.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You mean lack of scandals that the media will run with. "Fast and Furious" ended up getting a US agent killed. The racist Holder dropped a case against his homies in the Black Panthers. This could go all day..

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

And President Obama could be doing nothing wrong, and some peope would attack him over made up things like eating poodles, because they're brainwashed ideologues.

Besides, Bush already ate up Tony Blair in the White House.

That was some real poodle eating.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Very true. And, as a reversal, Obama could eliminate the deficit overnight, bring about world peace, and we'd still hear "NObama" from some people. None so blind as those who will not see.

That is also true. I will endorse this post.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It's true though. Obama hasn't had any real scandals. The Solyndra controversy is about a bad investment, which is not a scandal. The Wikipedia article is pretty good.

GWB didn't actually have that many scandals either. The Valerie Plame was the worst one. Even though I think it wasn't that big of a deal, the Clinton sex scandal was bigger as was the Iran-Contra affair and of course watergate. Obama's been ridiculously clean compared to these guys.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-

Solyndra was an investment by the government that went south. It has been made political hey of to "prove" that the stimulus was a bad idea and that anything and everything associated with environmentalism is bad. Not coincidentally the fossil fuel industries have shit eating grins on their faces about it. However, over 10 billion was invested in various green energy companies. That one bellied up given the state of the market (competition with Chinese companies heavily subsidized by their government) shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I've read all the e-mails and everything else that came out of the investigation. This isn't a legit scandal. Nothing has been proven with respect to cronyism. Some government investments will go south. The difference between this and F&F is, with F&F they should have known it was a bad idea before it even started. But investments always have uncertain outcomes. Nothing there IMO.

- wolf

I largely disagree but will limit my remarks to one issue: Subordinating the govt's loan to that of individual investors very late in the deal when the company's dire financial condition was known in apparent conflict with federal statutes prohibiting such may well elevate this to scandal level when it's all said and done.

(I think that's the longest single sentence I've ever written.)

Fern

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If there's a lack of scandal under obama, i'd attribute it to the fact that he's a right wing plant.

He's continuing most bush era policy. Fast & Furious was happening under GWB also. OMG he assassinated an accused terrorist who was a US citizen!!! Alot of left wingers back him because of party lines, and then there are some right wingers who go against him because of party lines.

With Obama we also have the recent signing of NDAA. If we learned anything from the Patriot act, it's been made clear that laws like this that they say are for terrorists will be used on other people.

I believe the patriot act was used some 1500 times against average criminals and only 1-2 times in actual terror related cases.

That gives opponents of NDAA a clear reference to how the government works. NDAA, SOPA... we might have to censor ourselves in the future on forums like these.
Negative, Fast & Furious was only under Obama. BATFE has done many similar things under other Presidents though, which is why I suspect Obama had nothing to do with authorizing it. BATFE is simply batshit crazy and un-American. You're right about the rest, but it's not because Obama is a right wing plant, it's because the two parties are more similar than not. In a two-party, winner-take-all system, they have to be to compete. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; I'd certainly hate to see our government swing back and forth between two polar opposites. Imagine four years of Dreams from my father Obama (as opposed to the Obama we have had) followed by four years of Dreams of killing gays Santorum. It would be madness, no long term stability at all.

I largely disagree but will limit my remarks to one issue: Subordinating the govt's loan to that of individual investors very late in the deal when the company's dire financial condition was known in apparently conflict with federal statutes prohibiting such may well elevate this to scandal level when it's all said and done.

(I think that's the longest single sentence I've ever written.)

Fern
I agree completely, that's one of the most scandalous things I've seen government do. If that was not done at Obama's direction, he needs to seek out and prosecute or at the very least fire whomever did that. It's nothing less than theft from taxpayers for the benefit of big contributors.

Like Infohawk I give Obama a pass on the actual loan, even though it was turned down under Bush. I think Obama is honestly much more bullish on solar energy than was Bush, as am I. So I could understand how an Obama administration could honestly see Solyndra in a rosier picture than would a Bush administration, even though the numbers are exactly the same. That Bush was right is not necessarily evidence of malfeasance; it only means that Obama was wrong. If I don't see what I consider to be valid evidence of malfeasance, I'll give my President the benefit of the doubt and assume that like anyone can, he simply made an honest mistake based on his own personal bias.

Actually, with the exception of the loan subordination flip the problem that concerns me is that we apparently can't complete at any level with the Chinese in a huge, high tech growth market even with a state-of-the-art automated factory, not that we lost half a billion on Solyndra.

Last edited: