Anyone not go to work or leaving early today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
I have a flight leaving New England tonight . . . Should I even try?

Reading the news, sounds like most airlines are reporting delaying of 4-5 hours. Good luck!
So I just checked again to see how much it would cost to overnight at the Embassy Suites hotel near Logan Airport.

$550 for one night in a regular room! Fcukin' price gouging FTL! The rate was $130 for the same date when I looked last night.

Can you move your flight up earlier? It's not snowing that bad yet in Boston and Logan doesn't have any major delays at the moment. The big delays are in Philly and NY.
Not really--that's the only non-stop flight to my destination. The earlier departures all go through NYC, which is worse!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
1. was awful this morning
2. scheduled leave and they went ahead and gave me the day
3.it's awesome outside.

32F but some weird mix of humidity that makes it feel like 65F

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Several people called out today. The roads were bad this morning but I was just out at lunch time and they are fine. The boss just came around and said we could leave around 3:30.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I take subways (NYC area) so it's generally a non issue for me and most people here. Driving is definitely different and even though I work in a demanding environment, everyone here expects safety to overrule work.

Yea Goosemaster, I always like that feeling with heavy snow and humidity around the freezing point. It feels warm. We are having those type of conditions here in NYC. Perfect snowballs too!

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
We work nine hour days and have every other Friday off. This is my Friday off. We're supposed to get 6-8 inches and it's coming down pretty good right now. Let it snow.

Soapy Bones

Dec 4, 2003
We had a "2 hour delay" this morning with an update scheduled at 9am in which they closed the office for the day. I went out about 10am to the drugstore to get some meds and the roads seemed fine to me. This is in Central Ohio..... Not that I am complaining about working from home its just strange to me that they closed the place down with little going on weatherwise.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
I was thinking about not going in because we got 2 inches of snow and they're calling for sleet and freezing rain and more snow. the roads were pretty clear so i came in anyway. now its sleeting and we just watched a truck from one of the places that cleans our floormats slide into one of the poles in the front parking lot and then sturggle to get the rest of the way out. granted, the parking lot is at an incline but still not good.

i'm thinking about getting out of here before it gets worse.

Man I feel ya...

Today the wind is blowing out of the south instead of the NE trades we usually see. Off in the distance I can actually see a cloud! No point in risking it today. If I'm gong to die in this foul weather Im going to do it on the golf course. Why does mother nature hate me so? :(

:p

intogamer

Lifer
Dec 5, 2004

Reading the news, sounds like most airlines are reporting delaying of 4-5 hours. Good luck!

Most inbound flights are canceled also.

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Must be rough. If I get stuck in my 4 wheel drive truck I don't go to work. And I have to use a vacation day because of it. Needs to be a lot of snow for that to happen. Only happened once last year. Canceling work due to weather is just a dream around here.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
hah. I work for a university that has closed MAYBE two days in the last 6 years for snow.

Before the last snow storm, they sent an email to all university employees reminding us that there was a discount rate at the university hotel if we couldn't make it home so that we could come in to work the next day. They also let us know that it was acceptable to use our vacation time if we couldn't make it to work due to bad road conditions.

"1. Use caution in winter weather

With the National Weather Service predicting hazardous weather through Wednesday morning, University employees are reminded that Penn State has hotel rooms available in The Nittany Lion Inn at a special winter weather rate of $69. This rate is available upon request for Penn State faculty and staff who may not want to travel home this evening because of the weather. For details, call the reservations office at (814) 863-5050.

All employees are encouraged to take responsibility for their own safety.

"Faculty and staff should use their own best judgment when considering traveling to campus or the need to leave work early during times of inclement weather," said Gary C. Schultz, senior vice president for finance and business. "Staff may charge their absence to vacation time when weather conditions cause a concern for personal safety."

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
59 degrees and a 40% chance of light rain today.

I better start packing up and get out of here soon.

;)

MotionMan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I was thinking about not going in because we got 2 inches of snow and they're calling for sleet and freezing rain and more snow. the roads were pretty clear so i came in anyway. now its sleeting and we just watched a truck from one of the places that cleans our floormats slide into one of the poles in the front parking lot and then sturggle to get the rest of the way out. granted, the parking lot is at an incline but still not good.

i'm thinking about getting out of here before it gets worse.

Man I feel ya...

Today the wind is blowing out of the south instead of the NE trades we usually see. Off in the distance I can actually see a cloud! No point in risking it today. If I'm gong to die in this foul weather Im going to do it on the golf course. Why does mother nature hate me so? :(

:p

Dammit...the closest I can come to the Caddyshack scene of the priest golfing in the lightning storm is this:
http://video.aol.com/video-det...-by-lightning/18997120

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
What is this bad weather you're talking about?
59F, sunny, no rain in next few days

methinks I'll go for another bike ride in shorts and shirt

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: StrangeRanger
I WISH it was snowing. I'm prying for snow. I'm doing the nekid snow dance every night. We had an awesome layer out on the lake and after a warm day, strong winds and a little freezing rain its all turned to boiler plate. Totally sucks for kite boarding.
j

What are you prying on? Does that help? :p

Storm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 1999
Got in a little late... office closed down a little earlier than usual and got an extra vacation day.

antyler

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2005
Quite the contrary. I have been at work all day and I dont even get a lunch break.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So you were able to leave just because there was a chance of more snow and rain mix later? Wow can't be that bad of a job. What about everyone else at the company and others in the area? Did they just let everyone leave? :confused: Sometimes a few hours later is when the roads are better once the plows get out and put some sand and/or salt down.

When the roads get slippery, I usually have no problem myself, it is just with other people on the road that makes it dangerous since you might need to make sudden stops (which can never happen on snow/ice) or someone doesn't use their blinker, or is just an idiot in general. I bet big cities that don't get storms often are completely ****** when the snow hits.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
lol why would you not go to work over 2 inches of snow? If I only have that much to take off the car, it means I get to work early for once.

Then again where I work they actually started sending people home over a storm, but yet, only certain departments were allowed. Like if its more critical, then no. Makes no sense. Why send people home in the middle of the storm, when they can stay with the rest of us, and go home when the storm is over and the streets are plowed? I never really understood that concept. Schools sometimes do the same. It's much safer to stay inside, if its that bad of a storm.

imported_yovonbishop

Golden Member
Apr 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: Anubis
the weather != Bad currently

it is here in PA

i can see PA from here looks fine to me :D

yes the border is like 3 miles away LOL

PA is 30 minutes south of here and it was worse than it was in NY this morning. I must say though, it got to be quite crappy by mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Luckily I didn't have to work today.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RedSquirrel
lol why would you not go to work over 2 inches of snow? If I only have that much to take off the car, it means I get to work early for once.

Then again where I work they actually started sending people home over a storm, but yet, only certain departments were allowed. Like if its more critical, then no. Makes no sense. Why send people home in the middle of the storm, when they can stay with the rest of us, and go home when the storm is over and the streets are plowed? I never really understood that concept. Schools sometimes do the same. It's much safer to stay inside, if its that bad of a storm.

i did go to work. i guess you didn't read the thread?

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: intogamer

Most inbound flights are canceled also.
Amazingly, my JetBlue flight left Logan on time! But took off late due to de-icing. This almost makes up for the ridiculous USAirways flight cancellations I've suffered the past month. Almost.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I went into work 2 hours late, but it was more coincidental than anything else. I worked till 8:30 pm on thursday night (scheduled to leave at 6), so I told my boss that I'd be coming in late today to make up the hours to myself, as long as it wasn't busy (I stayed late last night to make sure that it wouldn't be busy on friday).

I was only thinking there'd be two feet or so, but I guess I lucked out by not having to be at work till noon. really felt like there was a good foot of snow on my car and the sidewalk in front of my apartment that had to get shoveled.