Anyone not care about wireless charging

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I bought my wife a wireless quick charger as a stocking stuffer back then for her new s6+. I set it up on her nightstand so she can just place it on the charger and not have to worry about a cable. It'll save wear and tear on her usb port too. She says "cool" yet she refuses to use it and just sticks with the cable. I ask her why and she just says she doesn't want to. Says she's not a gadget person.

I take it once I get a phone that supports it. I like it so much I went and got another for my home and work desk. Just wish there was one for the car that will hold the phone securely.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have never had a phone that supported it but plugging in USB C cables is still a major pain in the butt. I will be happy getting a phone with wireless charging when my current HTC 10 retires.

mrpiggy

Apr 19, 2012
I don't like wireless charging for one main reason. It's too easy to set the phone down or knock it improperly and the phone wont be charging. Since I use my phone as my alarm clock, it kinda sucks if it dies in the middle of the night. So what has happened to me is I go to bed, stick it on wireless charger and for some reason or other, like maybe I checked messages when really tired and wasn't careful putting it back, the phone has been dead in the morning because it wasn't charging and alarm doesn't go off. Yes I know, probably my fault, but it doesn't happen with a cord, so I just stick to what works.

Reactions: herm0016

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I rarely use mine. Actually, I just about never use mine (Samsung harger with an S8+).
I picked it up with the idea of reducing wear and tear on the USB port and just not having to deal with "wires".
After seeing how warm the phone got while charging I stopped using it.
Heat degrades batteries and charging on the cable is quicker (and the phone is cooler while charging)

Occasionally I''l dust it off and put it out for guests when we have company.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I thought about upgrading to an iPhone 8 specifically for wireless charging. Then I realized I don't care that much and will just use my 6s until it is unusable. It will be a nice touch once that happens.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I'm fine with the cable myself. I usually get a phone that lasts 1.5 days (my somewhat limited usage) so I don't need any topups, and USB-C has made it even easier, although I never really had a problem with micro-USB..

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Not having it isn't a deal breaker, but I do prefer to have wireless charging. Still confused how Google could not include it in the Pixel and Pixel 2 phones considering my first wireless charging phone was from Google (Nexus 4).

Not all wireless chargers are the same and I can see from a couple responses here people have been turned off by some probably not so great chargers or earlier chargers. I used to have to worry about my phone losing contact with that narrow wireless charging spot, but now my S9+ charges just fine regardless of how it's laying in the charger, as long as I don't knock it completely off the cradle I'm fine. And my phone doesn't seem to get any warmer charging wirelessly than it does wired (though I haven't used one of the new wireless fast chargers yet).

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I don't care about wireless charging. Maybe I wouldn't mind it if I had ever tried it.

Isn't fast-wireless-charging about half as fast as fast-plugged-in-charging? Isn't wireless charging also less efficient? I doubt anyone will cry over the extra electric bill... it's so negligible.

I guess I didn't grow up in the generation that's fussed over flipping the usb the correct direction to plug it in; I've never been bothered by that. Also, it's not like you plug in or unplug the phone often enough through the day that you're saving any considerable effort by being able to just drop it on a wireless pad of some sort vs plugging in a cable.

On my work desk I've got a 60-watt 6-port USB charger. It's capable of up to 2.4 amps per port and tops out at 12amps overall. I keep a bluetooth headphones, bluetooth speaker, and my phone charged with it. Rarely, someone has a power crisis and they plug in on my 6 port.

I guess, I don't see me replacing my 6-port because of how readily it supports charging other/multiple devices, and I can't see me trying to add extra clutter to my desk /shrug.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Don't care, already use a cable for a lot of other things so I'm not getting rid of the cable to go wireless, instead adding to clutter to have the wireless charge cradle too.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
never cared
shits pointless IMO

also glass on the backs of phones is stupid, go back to plastic for wireless charging or give me a metal phone

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
Nope. Used it intermittently from 2012 - 2014 with my nexus 4. Didn't miss with when I got a Moto X after that.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I could probably deal without it, but it's a regular convenience for me.
- My wife goes to sleep much earlier than me. I like not having to fumble around for a cable in the dark
- At work I like being able to drop and pickup my phone constantly throughout the day without having to think about plugging

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
well.. hmm i guess depends when i am charging the phone for when i would use wireless charging. Seems like a hour extra when use it compared to just plugging in a cable. (maybe 1.2 hours total charge time ) funny she doesn't use it.. I bet the reason is she is scared of change and learning something new? seems with few phones on few wireless charger would have to reset the charger or pick up phone and set it down. with phone case even worse.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Seems odd 90% don't like wireless charging. I don't have a phone that supports it, but damn how can it not be better then messing with a cable? Half the time my iPhone cable doesn't want to work or the port on the phone got moisture and doesn't want to work.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My wife wouldn't get on with wireless charging because then her ability to use the phone while it charges would be impeded. I honestly couldn't care less about wireless charging because plugging in a (likely) far cheaper cable every few days is not what I regard to be a big deal. The only irritation with cable charging is the cable steadily wearing out, but the cables are dirt cheap and take a few years to give such problems in my experience. If a more expensive cable came out that wears considerably better, then the environmentalist in me would give it a shot. Wireless charging however to me seems to be introducing just another thing that can go wrong, and I sometimes want to use my phone while it's on charge.

I just asked my wife about it, and she suggested if an adapter could be plugged into the phone/tablet that would allow it to wirelessly charge within range of the wireless charger, she would consider that to be useful.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Half the time my iPhone cable doesn't want to work or the port on the phone got moisture and doesn't want to work.

Huh? I've never had that before (apart from with the occasional faulty cable)... moisture? Do you work in a sauna or something?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Theres loads for the car. That's the best place for them. Just search Amazon for "wireless phone charger car"

I want to go on about this some more!

Honestly I could live without it anywhere else but its so much better in the car. You can route the cable nicely and hide it as you never need to reach it. You just stick the phone in the cradle and it starts charging without having to fumble around and the power supply is fine. I regularly stream music with google play, use google maps and connect to the car sound system with bluetooth and the phone charges up while I use it.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Seems odd 90% don't like wireless charging. I don't have a phone that supports it, but damn how can it not be better then messing with a cable? Half the time my iPhone cable doesn't want to work or the port on the phone got moisture and doesn't want to work.
I find that a flaky charging iDevice usually has some lint packed into the back of the Lightning port. Usually impossible to tell until you start trying to pick it out. Use a wooden toothpick split in half.

"How could it not be better?" Well. You can't easily charge while using the device. It's also generally slower.

Reactions: paperfist

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The problem is that I usually want to use my phone while it charges.
The good thing about wireless charging is that it's an option. You can still plug in if thats the best option at the time but you get the option of wirelessly charging when that's the best option.

Reactions: mikeymikec

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
It's an improvement to an existing thing.

It's the solution to easily placing my phone in a car holder and not have to hunt around for the lead..
Can't use Android Auto wirelessly yet. I'll be waiting for Wireless Android Auto while charging my S8+ wirelessly in the car (probably need a new car for WAA)