Anyone make the transition from regular to ergonomic (split) keyboards lately?

fake

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm wondering how long it took you to get used to it and type at your normal speed (assuming you type pretty well, without looking and all). Just picked one up, hope I won't type like an idiot for a week or two ..

Batti

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
You'll probably do so for a couple of weeks, but you may never go back. I love my MS Natural keyboard!

Opinionated

Oct 6, 2000
Went from standard to split keyboard.... Dumped them both for a mini IR keyboard..... Never go back now that I'm used to it...

Opinionated

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Ergo keyboards are the way to go...much less finger, hand, wrist strain. But I do find it hard to find home row when I'm a fair distance away from the keyboard. A bit more wanked keypresses in general, too, though age could easily explain that!

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I went from standard to split and back so standard. All changes inspired by liquids entering the keyboard (a leaky ceiling in my room caused the first change, trying to drive in NFS3 while drinking coke inspired the second one). Learning split was tough for me even though I already had about 2 yrs computer experience (not including playing games on those old Apples at school) and could type fairly well. I picked it up well in maybe 2-3 weeks max, and it was more comfortable to use (it didn't really help my speed of typing, though). Going back was rather easy since typing on a standard keyboard is kinda like riding a bicycle.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Just changed about 3 months ago when my wrist was giving me troubles, hoping it would help. Helped a wee bit.

There wasn't too big of a problem for me since I learned to type 'the right way' and my fingers always go to the right places anyways. Biggest troubles is the function keys. F1 - F5 on the left, F6 - F12 on the right. I think they shoulda broken it up evenly, cause I'm always hitting ALT-F3 when I wanna hit ALT-F4.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I have been having to get used to a regular one ever since I spilled wine on my ergo keyboard about two weeks ago.... one of you guys here at AT made me laugh so hard I just lost it....

I used my ergonomic one for about 3-4 years. Loved it. Miss it! :( I KILLED IT! :(

I haven't been able to find a non-Microsoft ergonomic like the one I had, so I guess it's time to surf....

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
i switched to ergo when i bought my latest pc.....didn't take much time at all to get used to it actually, now i love it, although i don't find it hard to go back to a normal one

fake

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I picked up a Microsoft Natural Pro, last one at Frys .. but I saw Logitech's, Memorex (crap) and a few unknown brands. The only reason I didn't pick up a logitech was it was only available in a package with a mouse which I really didn't want.

Does anyone know what the difference between a Natural Pro and a Natural Elite is?

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Ergo keyboards suck. I have 2 keyboards that I will never get rid of; one is a 101 key DIN that is has a great light tactile feel, is clicky as hell, and weighs about 10 pounds. I also have a 101 key IBM keyboard that is black and has an integrated Trackpoint stick, and also weighs about 10 pounds. :) The IBM has the same feel as the old school keyboards that came with the PS/2.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I never liked ergo keyboards. My $6 keyboard (heavy as hell) has been serving me fine for years :)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
My brother in law has one and I think they are the most fscked up things to happen to computers since the Cyrix chips. I couldn't type worth a damn on it.

eia430

Sep 7, 2000
Since spending hours and hours behind this computer I've been forced to go ergo on the mouse (microsoft explorer) and ergo on the keyboard (microsoft eliete) I don't think I could go back to a normal keyboard now. I took to this keyboard pretty well, after a few min of getting used to it I can type as fast as I did with the old flat keyboard. I don't know anybody that spends as much time as I do behind a computer that has not gone ergo on the mouse and keyboard.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
since i learned how to type formally, from school (lame waste of time), it took me several keystrokes.

just don't get one that remaps keys.

the MS natural elite changed the position of the 2x3 insert, home, pgup, etc and the arrows, but the natural pro which i have fixed it =)

also, it depends on your typing style as the first statement impled =)

ultimately, it's only slightly better since to be really good, one would not have to bend one's elbows at all, which is what i am working on, as soon as those cheap keyboards get here.

imagine a keyboard where the qwerty was really split at shoulder length or so apart, with the numeric keypad in the middle. =) that's my plan, they make keyboards with the qwerty split, but cost A LOT!!!.

some say the split is not good for gaming since the keys are mapped, and something funky could happen...

fake, everyone types like an idiot sooner or later ;-) you can just blame the keyboard ;-) which we all do anyway ;-)

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
I picked up the Acer ergonomic keyboard awhile back (pooooooor Value America :( ) and love it, but at first it was bizarre. LOVE the separate number keys since I'm left-handed, though! If you're left-handed the Acer's great.

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Used ms naturals for what feels like years now, takes a little bit of getting used to but after that it's annoying to use the regular ones at work.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
After getting used to my 128-129 key keyboard, it's hard to go without the spiffy programmable keys. And I have yet to see an ergonomic keyboard with a really good key feel.

blurredvisionx

Oct 5, 2000
I've used an ergonomic keyboard, but didn't like the new layout of the arrow keys. I like the upside-down T formation rather than the + formation. Of course, I'm pretty sure this isn't like this on all of them, but I prefer my old keyboard anyways.

NOSOUP4U

Dec 19, 1999
Love the ergonomic boards. Will never ever go back.

any accomplished touch typer will make the switch over from regular to split effortlessly.