anyone maintain their own swimming pool?

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
currently pay $60 a month. wondering if it's easier that way or better to buy equipment and chemicals on my own.

first, anyone have any thoughts on this?

second, where can i get good information on the how-to of pool maintaining. can't find any good websites, and i'm reluctant to get info from a pool store.

from what i can tell you only need chlorine tablets, algae chemicals, a vacuum and wall scrubber.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Maintaining a pool is a pain tin the ass. My parents eventually had thiers removed cause it was too much work to keep it up.

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
you mean pumped out the pool or completely removed?

i wanted to pump out pool during winter but was told that weight of water balances out pressure on other side of pool, so removing would cause serious damage.

hmm, how much was it to remove pool completely if that's what you're talking about?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: draggoon01

from what i can tell you only need chlorine tablets, algae chemicals, a vacuum and wall scrubber.

You can use chlorine in liquid or tablet form.

A vacuum is really a convenience. You can use a skimmer to retrieve large debris from the bottom of the pool (it just takes more time).

You probably want a water test kit as well to check chlorine/pH levels. Chances are you'll need muriatic acid to keep the water from becoming too alkaline.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
you mean pumped out the pool or completely removed?

i wanted to pump out pool during winter but was told that weight of water balances out pressure on other side of pool, so removing would cause serious damage.

hmm, how much was it to remove pool completely if that's what you're talking about?

Completely gone. There's just grass there now. I don't know how much it cost.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
My pool was 10,000 gallon above ground and it was cake to take care off. You basically need chlorine, some ph balance chemicals, and algacide. Plus vacuum and all its components and like a skimmer. I prob vacuumed it like 2-3 times a week, and checked the cholrine around the same time, took about an hour each time. I don't find it a problem at all, and def. not worth 60 a month.

But if your pool is large and you don't have too much time it might be more convinent to pay for the service.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw

You can use chlorine in liquid or tablet form.

A vacuum is really a convenience. You can use a skimmer to retrieve large debris from the bottom of the pool (it just takes more time).

You probably want a water test kit as well to check chlorine/pH levels. Chances are you'll need muriatic acid to keep the water from becoming too alkaline.

the problem isn't the tools you need, but actually using them. You ever scrub down an entire pool with a wall scrubber? It sucks.