Anyone live in, or been to, Schenectady, NY? I might have to move there!

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Hey New Yorkers (or anyone who's been there), what's the low down on Schenectady? I live in Southern California right now, and of course I know it's MUCH colder there, but what other differences are there between here and there? Will I lose my mind and commit suicide if I live there? I am really used to living in the "big city," and I'm worried that I'm going to lose my mind if it's a very rural area and whatnot. I would like to head into Manhattan on some weekends for partying and stuff (I have friends that go to school at Columbia), and how bad is the drive from Schenectady to NYC?

My potential future employment might take me there, amongst other possible locations.

Let me know the plusses and minuses of living in Schenectady! Thanks! :D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It's the armpit of New York State.

There is some pretty countryside around there though.

It's about a 3 hour drive to NYC-ONE WAY!!!

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred
The only reason I know it exists is because it has the zip code 12345.
Hahah! Well I guess that's a plus (maybe)...

I am pretty sure I'm going to kill myself if I live out there though... help to dissuade my fears!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Where is So Cal do you live? I'm in north county San Diego. Originally from Albany area of New York.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003

same here.. i always use a bogus schenetady address for when i sign up for anything. Lets hope 999 NotAReal Street Doens't exist in Schenedaty :Q

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Where is So Cal do you live? I'm in north county San Diego. Originally from Albany area of New York.

I grew up in Pasadena, and I've lived in Irvine now for ~12 years. Been a SoCal boy my whole life.

So I see (from my web-based map) that Albany and Schenectady are pretty close. Is being the arm pit of NY state all that bad? :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

I grew up in Pasadena, and I've lived in Irvine now for ~12 years. Been a SoCal boy my whole life.

So I see (from my web-based map) that Albany and Schenectady are pretty close. Is being the arm pit of NY state all that bad? :)

I wouldn't move back there. I lived there from 1980 until 1989 when I moved to Rochester. Then I moved to Los Angeles 1 year later. Been in So Cal ever since.

If I had to live anywhere in NY (besides NYC) I would probably choose Rochester.

Actually, Utica is probably more of an armpit than Schenectady now that I think of it. Hell, NY has many armpits.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
its really far away from NYC. 3 hours sounds about right. albany is your closest large city and it doesnt seem like a large city at all.

yup...you are definitely in the armpit of NY.

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
I visited there for a month last summer, I have an uncle who stays there

Very pretty area, still fairly clean. It's gonna get pretty boring, but hey, if you gotta live there, at least it's not some industrial wasteland.

best of luck

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
its really far away from NYC. 3 hours sounds about right. albany is your closest large city and it doesnt seem like a large city at all.

yup...you are definitely in the armpit of NY.

Yeah, I think it's about 180 miles if I remember correctly. Schenectady is just west of Albany. Only a couple exits further on the Thruway.

My sister still lives there. I haven't been there in a couple years though.

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Ah thanks guys, yeah I just checked, and there's Amtrak service between Penn Station (NYC) and Schenectady that's roughly 3 hours each way, round trip for about $90. It might even be cheaper/easier to fly I guess.

Damn! Why can't GE Medical Imaging be in SoCal!??!1 :(

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I went to school near there, at RPI in Troy. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that area. It is a very dull part of NY.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ajpa123

same here.. i always use a bogus schenetady address for when i sign up for anything. Lets hope 999 NotAReal Street Doens't exist in Schenedaty :Q

So you are the asshat responsible for me getting all that junk mail! :|

Oct 9, 1999
my sister and brother in law live there..

from what i heard its a small town, very nice.. its close to albany (about 15 minutes from albany).

GE's CRD is located there..

WTT0001

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2001
Small town, not really, its more a smaller version of albany, anyway that being said I live about 10 miles "down the road" in amsterdam. It's about 15 miles from albany and around 180 from NYC (Amsterdam is exit 27 @ mile marker 174, Schenectady is exit 26 & 25 around mile marker 161? & 145? (not sure on those:D). Any ??? let me know and i'll try to help ya out:D

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: WTT0001
Small town, not really, its more a smaller version of albany, anyway that being said I live about 10 miles "down the road" in amsterdam. It's about 15 miles from albany and around 180 from NYC (Amsterdam is exit 27 @ mile marker 174, Schenectady is exit 26 & 25 around mile marker 161? & 145? (not sure on those:D). Any ??? let me know and i'll try to help ya out:D

Any questions?? Yeah, if you check above I want to know if I'm going to kill myself after 6 months there! :p I am joking but also kinda serious. I have a feeling that even though it's a nice place and has pretty scenery, that I'm going to become depressed and stick my head in the oven.

So how much work is it getting into NYC? Is it so bad that I'm never going to do it? I need to party in the big city or I'll perish! Thanks :)

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001

I live in the general area,and have for most of my life.

ALbany is the Capital on NY State, Schenectady is about 20 miles west,the area is called
"The Capital Region" Albany- Sch'dy -Troy,I lived in west TX for 2 years,and had the choice to stay there
or move back to this area,and am glad to be here,except for the few times per year that its colder than -10f. :)

Life is what you make of it,"No matter where you go,there You are"

If you are basically a person the looks at the bright side of stuff,you would be happy in this area.

If you are the type of person that is easily depressed because,
A,Today it rained,
B, Today it was windy,
C,Yesterday it rained,

Etc, etc, stay where you are.

If however you like to see green grass,green trees,lakes,rivers,streams,mountains,
as well as having places to go see,movies,concerts,plays,dine out,look at historical sites,etc.
Then you would prob love it in this area.

If i want to go fresh water fishing,i have dozens of choices in a 30 min. drive from my home,and
a few that are walking distance.

If i want to go grocery shopping,i have several choices in large size stores in the area.

If you like horse racing,Saratoga is close by,with harness racing year round,and Thouroghbred racing in August there. Its about a 40 min drive.

Originally posted by: WTT0001

Any questions?? Yeah, if you check above I want to know if I'm going to kill myself after 6 months there! :p I am joking but also kinda serious. I have a feeling that even though it's a nice place and has pretty scenery, that I'm going to become depressed and stick my head in the oven.

So how much work is it getting into NYC? Is it so bad that I'm never going to do it? I need to party in the big city or I'll perish! Thanks :)

http://www.wten.com/ one local tv srtation,

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
In a 30 mile radius you will find about 1 million people. The problem is it's very spread out. The area has all the basic stuff. 24 hour supermarkets, diners, and donut shops. You can locally find just about any consumer product you need.
Traffic is some of the best I've seen. The only exception is the Northway (I-87 north of the Thruway) Friday during rush hour where it's 15 miles bumper to bumper. Usually rush hour is just slow going and an occasional stop.

However the area is sorely lacking in the arts and social arena. The only real playhouse is Proctors in Schenectady.
There are some concert halls like the Pepsi Arena in Albany and SPAC(Saratoga Performing Arts Center) in Saratoga.
There are a few museums but the only major one is the New York State Museum in Albany.
For shopping there is a major mall in the area (Crossgates Mall in Guilderland, NY) but there are no interesting downtown shopping areas.

As for the weather it is colder and gets more snow than say NYC. Also if you are planning to go to work for GE it's a bad move. GE constantly lays people off and you may be stuck 3000 miles from Cali with no job.
Also being from California, unless you really really really really really really hate California you will not like the Northeast. You will find that from October to May it's cold, it snows and there are no outdoor activities besides skiing. If you were from say Ohio I'd say it's a great opportunity, but seeing as you are from California, unless they are offering you 6 figures DO NOT take the offer. You will be miserable.

Edit: Also you will be about 160 miles or 2.5 hours from NYC. With the weather you will find yourself not wanting to go to NYC a number of weekends. If you really want to move to the Northeast get a job in NYC or Boston.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
The drive to/from NY city will take 3-6 hours depends on the traffic in NY City.

I have Not visited NY City in about 20 years.:)

I wish I had gone to the World Trade Center,twin towers when i was in Manhatten last time.
I went up in the Empire State Bldg,instead.

Hey New Yorkers (or anyone who's been there), what's the low down on Schenectady? I live in Southern California right now, and of course I know it's MUCH colder there, but what other differences are there between here and there? Will I lose my mind and commit suicide if I live there? I am really used to living in the "big city," and I'm worried that I'm going to lose my mind if it's a very rural area and whatnot. I would like to head into Manhattan on some weekends for partying and stuff (I have friends that go to school at Columbia), and how bad is the drive from Schenectady to NYC?

My potential future employment might take me there, amongst other possible locations.

Let me know the plusses and minuses of living in Schenectady! Thanks! :D

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
The drive to/from NY city will take 3-6 hours depends on the traffic in NY City.
I have Not visited NY City in about 20 years.:)
I wish I had gone to the World Trade Center,twin towers when i was in Manhatten last time.
I went up in the Empire State Bldg,instead.

I was there this past weekend...
It's 2.5 hours so long as you don't go during rush hour and know the ways to go. Getting into Manhattan from the Major Deegan via the George Washington Bridge interchange takes an eternity. There are much quicker ways to get into Manhattan.
Either way it's moot. Californians do not like living in the Northeast.

LeonarD26

Feb 12, 2004
I've just recently moved back to the Capital District (Saratoga) from New Jersey..... now that's the armpit of the northeast. I would be careful living in Schenectady, not the safest area. There are many nice areas to live in though. I have numerous friends that work for GE and they have no problems commuting. Housing will also be much more affordable than Cali. Being an RPI grad (Troy) currently working in Albany, and now living in Saratoga, I would highly suggest the area. Great skiing/snowmobiling in the winter and the summer's are warm with lots of outdoor activities.

2 1/2 hour drive and you'll be at the Yankee games :)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i used to work in skunk nakedly

a burned out buidling on the GE site, '96 to '98

just because your job is there, doesn't mean you need to live there

i lived in Saratoga Springs, about 15 miles (or 20 , i forget) north of Schenectady

just be sure to budget for a snow blower if you driveway is large than 10ft by 20 ft

one winter, the pile of snow in my yard from shoveling the drive got to about 8 ft and i had trouble throwing the new snow high enough to get more on top of it

one morning it hit -40F , but my truck still started

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Ah thanks guys, yeah I just checked, and there's Amtrak service between Penn Station (NYC) and Schenectady that's roughly 3 hours each way, round trip for about $90. It might even be cheaper/easier to fly I guess.

Damn! Why can't GE Medical Imaging be in SoCal!??!1 :(

if you want to go into the city, the best thing to do is drive the thruway down to poughkeepsie and take the "normal" train from there into the city. it is cheaper than taking amtrack all the way from albany to NYC and doesn't take any longer