Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
You Know guys, the more I start thinking about that M.2 Carrier, the more I am getting excited about the build. I mean the things I can do! AMD and Intel needs to start showing their new stuff hahaha.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You Know guys, the more I start thinking about that M.2 Carrier, the more I am getting excited about the build. I mean the things I can do! AMD and Intel needs to start showing their new stuff hahaha.

Whut? Epyc Rome was released in Aug 2019, so six month old. Milan is coming out Q3 this year. Genoa is going to need a new socket for more cores, ddr5 and pcie5.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I gotta check that out!
Not much is know about Genoa. If you want an EPYC system, either get a gen2 now, or wait a few months and get a gen3.
Naples = gen1 (out for a long time)
Rome = gen2 (out for months)
milan = gen3 coming this year
Genoa = gen4 coming ????

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Not much is know about Genoa. If you want an EPYC system, either get a gen2 now, or wait a few months and get a gen3.
Naples = gen1 (out for a long time)
Rome = gen2 (out for months)
milan = gen3 coming this year
Genoa = gen4 coming ????

Mark If I went with AMD, I'll be looking at Milan then. I'm aiming at SEPT to start upgrading after all the family stuff and bills paid down. Genoa I'll most likely pass on then. Main components I wanna upgrade would be the CPU and Motherboard.

Now one thing, I would like to see a "True" Workstation Motherboard made for these. ASRock comes close, but I would like to see something like the Asus Pro series Motherboards for these guys.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Mark If I went with AMD, I'll be looking at Milan then. I'm aiming at SEPT to start upgrading after all the family stuff and bills paid down. Genoa I'll most likely pass on then. Main components I wanna upgrade would be the CPU and Motherboard.

Now one thing, I would like to see a "True" Workstation Motherboard made for these. ASRock comes close, but I would like to see something like the Asus Pro series Motherboards for these guys.

What is missing from the asrock one?

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yea but you get my point though. More focus on testing if something fails. More towards "workstation" instead of "Server"
No, I don't get your point. The server boards are tested WAY more than the am4 (consumer) boards, and are way more stable.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
No, I don't get your point. The server boards are tested WAY more than the am4 (consumer) boards, and are way more stable.

I think y'all missing my point. I'm not talking about getting anything AM4. I'm talking about a more "focused" board towards workstation work. So basically take your "server" board, with some better layouts. U.2 ports. No legacy ports. Cleaner design, etc.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I think y'all missing my point. I'm not talking about getting anything AM4. I'm talking about a more "focused" board towards workstation work. So basically take your "server" board, with some better layouts. U.2 ports. No legacy ports. Cleaner design, etc.
It has U.2 ports, 2 of them. It also has some mini sata SAS ports, 2 of them, for 8 sata drives. In every way its way better than that ASUS board. Plus 128 PCIE lanes, way more than that am4 board. You can put 2 16x PCIE slots m.2 drives ( 4 drives running at full speed each card, 8 drives) and have everything running at full speed, plus the video card.

So in total, 10 M.2 drives at full speed, plus
8 SATA SAS drives, plus
A video card at full speed.

All on the motherboard, plus 8 channel ECC ram.

Let see any other workstation motherboard top that. .... NO !!!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Oh OK, so it's a physical thing.
I see now what you mean slots 4-7 are clearly blocked by memory :rolleyes:
But why not in slot 1 or maybe 3 ?
That is a hair different than mine, but it still looks like it won't work.

I recommend what I KNOW works.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
OK, I understand.
But I think you may have confused this with an earlier MB.
They only make one MZ32-AR0, you may have it confused with the earlier MZ31 series of boards that look very similar, but don't have the OCP 2.0 mezzanine slot..
If you did had a MX32-AR0 I was considering making an offer as the first run was all bought up by a "corporate entity" according to Gigabyte and the second run was due in the US mid to late March. But with this coronavirus thing, that date keeps slipping.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, I understand.
But I think you may have confused this with an earlier MB.
They only make one MZ32-AR0, you may have it confused with the earlier MZ31 series of boards that look very similar, but don't have the OCP 2.0 mezzanine slot..
If you did had a MX32-AR0 I was considering making an offer as the first run was all bought up by a "corporate entity" according to Gigabyte and the second run was due in the US mid to late March. But with this coronavirus thing, that date keeps slipping.
Mine is the MZ-31 AR0. And I have to get another when I can afford it, to house the other 7551 ES chip. Its the only board that works with this POS chip (the ES part, not the EPYC part) I got them for $300 though, so its worth it.

The budget got killed by buying 2 7601 retail and one 7742 ES chip, and the terrabyte of 2666 ECC memory for the 4 chips and their motherboards (including the one 7551 I have working ATM)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
OP, since it seems you are waiting a bit, have you considered a drop in upgrade for your current system in the meantime? A BIOS update to support IB-E and something like a 4930k or 4960x would give you a decent boost over the 3820.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020

Still a Server Board, but looks clean as hell. You can probably run a GPU on the last slot.
OP, since it seems you are waiting a bit, have you considered a drop in upgrade for your current system in the meantime? A BIOS update to support IB-E and something like a 4930k or 4960x would give you a decent boost over the 3820.

You know, that isn't such a bad idea!