Anyone know which Cpu is best for overclocking?

SubZero00

Oct 26, 2000
I am thinking of buying a new cpu sometime in the winter. I was wondering if anyone would know the best ratio of the optimal overclock speed to retail price and which motherboard would you recommend for a preferrably Socket A chip(I know there aren't that many decent Socket A Mobo's out there) so i was wondering what your opinions on mobos as well.

-Thanks

Rigoletto

Banned
Aug 6, 2000
you should read around a bit more before asking this.
Well, Durons are the best performers to price- 650chip often goes to 1000MHz. The 650@650 Duron benchmarks like a Celeron600 overclocked to 900- which it often seems to do. The choice would seem pretty clear- unless maybe you find a celeron board on some special deal, because Duron boards are a bit expensive.
I think the celeron is a bit crap compared to other modern chips.

*oh I think the Alpha coolers are the best in simple air cooling for Durons... but the most expensive. If you're going to 1GHz I would.

SubZero00

Oct 26, 2000
thanks Rigoletto

I have been doing little bit of researh for the past few weeks and just looking at the market right now and see *hopefully* the price go down by the end of the year. I was also thinking that the Duron is the best buy on the market right now for me, once i get some cash for a mobo and cpu :(. I was thinking that the Duron 700Mhz would be a pretty good buy b/c it is a decent speed if not o/c and from what I have read on various websites it can be o/c at least to 900.

adams

Golden Member
Sep 12, 2000
Unless you feel the need to definately reach 1000MHZ, probably all you need is a Duron 600. They are cheap (getting cheaper), and they can probably at the very least OC to 800. Mine goes to 900+ with the stock heatsink/fan. And for a normal person, why would you need a processor any faster than this. If you NEED ;) 1 Gig, then maybe a Duron 750 or so would do for you just to be safe.

And a board like the Abit KT7 is great fun for overclocking, as you can just adjust all the settings within the bios, without having to play around with anything on the motherboard itself.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Duron 600 or 650 is the one i would get if i am making a new system. dang. at the time when i made my system it was fastest for most bang for the buck combo. Cel 450a, TNT, BH6, 64mb, IBM deskstar 7200 RPM hard, MX300. now its just an old machine :eek: