Anyone know where I can find building codes online?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
And it all depends on where you live too so call your local city hall and ask for the housing inspector type person.

kthroyer

Jan 9, 2004
A lot of villages and towns have their building codes available online from a link in the village website

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Okay, I found stuff on building codes but not specifically related to flooring. They include foundation, electricity, lighting, etc etc. Can anyone find information regarding flooring specifically? Looking for something like a list of a code requirements related to flooring, PSI, etc.

summit

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2001
flooring is considered interior design therefore we can do anything we want. usually the building code is for fire safety and durability and uniformness, just call your city and ask if they have specifics for flooring, but most towns dont care as long as ur house isnt dangerous and attrocious from the outside youshould be good

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
If you are referring to weight limits on floors you will have a tough time finding much info online. It really depends on your specific situation (joist size, lumber type, age, distance from walls) etc.

Search for "aquarium weight floor" and you will find some good info. I ran into the same problem when trying to determine if my second floor bathroom could support a cast iron tub.

Here are some links...

Link
Link

As far as I could tell a cast iron tub full of water and a person (~500 pounds) is fine just about anywhere on the floor.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
If you are looking for carpet specs, not going to find any. If you are looking for the live load for a mezzanine, hire an engineeer.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
You could probably find portions of the code online, but I don't see anyone putting the entire thing up. In my city, the reference libraries carry them as do the university engineering libraries.