Anyone know what resolution satellite broadcasts in?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I think basic cable and OTA TV signals are broadcast in 480i but what do satellite and digital TV broadcast in?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MCrusty
480i

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................... please let that be a joke

I thought satellite signals were supposed to be better quality than ordinairy cable

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
They are because they are digital, not analog. The actual quality of the signal is better, just not a higher resolution.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
On top of that, they're so heavily MPEG-2 compressed (gotta fit those eleventy billion channels on that satellite!) that the picture quality is often far, far poorer than terrestrial broadcast.

Can't even see the frigging puck when I watch hockey on account of that!

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
They are because they are digital, not analog. The actual quality of the signal is better, just not a higher resolution.

Man this sucks, I have a new 34" widescreen but so far all its doing for me is revealing just how pixelated the picture is

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Arkitech
480i

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................... please let that be a joke

I thought satellite signals were supposed to be better quality than ordinairy cable

Why broadcast at a resolution higher than the TV can display?

Also, as mentioned the channels are HIGHLY compressed.

Viper GTS

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
480i

Why broadcast at a resolution higher than the TV can display?

Also, as mentioned the channels are HIGHLY compressed.

Viper GTS

good point

to bad there'nt any subsription services with higher quality broadcasts

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
What about HD service? You can get most channels for free over the air, at least all your local channels depending on where you live.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001

There are. You can get HD programming. I assume that your 34" Widescreen is HD capable.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Don't assume satellite is better quality than cable, especially digital cable run over good quality coax. The satellites have to fit so many local channels they compress a lot. The main reason to switch to satellite is a) you hate cable or b) you want the programming offered by satellite.

But ya, the vast majority of TV's can only display 480i.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Dunbar
Don't assume satellite is better quality than cable, especially digital cable run over good quality coax. The satellites have to fit so many local channels they compress a lot. The main reason to switch to satellite is a) you hate cable or b) you want the programming offered by satellite.

But ya, the vast majority of TV's can only display 480i.

Funny. I've never seen a digital cable signal that looked as good as DirecTV.

EDIT: I use a "regular" Toshiba 32"

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: aves2k

There are. You can get HD programming. I assume that your 34" Widescreen is HD capable.

I have dishnet right now, but I'm not sure what channels they broadcast in HD. I guess it does'nt matter since my dish receiver does'nt have a component out

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
they have hd dedicated sat companies u know:) heres one, http://www.hd.net/ i forgot the other. and even normal sat companies offer hd, and well theres over the air broadcast hd which is just as good for the channels it ha.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
they have hd dedicated sat companies u know:) heres one, http://www.hd.net/ i forgot the other. and even normal sat companies offer hd, and well theres over the air broadcast hd which is just as good for the channels it ha.

Thats not a HD sat company, thats a HD Channel... DirecTV carries it. Voom is the HD satalite company.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

That's a network. You can get it from any number of cable/satellite providers.