Anyone know how to drive a stick, or own one?

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
I'm thinking about getting a used car soon, and I want to know if I should look into a stick. How hard is it to learn to drive? If anyone knows any sites that offer a lesson, point me to it please :) Any comments? Bwaa!

creedog

Golden Member
Nov 15, 1999
its not hard at all, can be a little bothersom in traffic though. I will only drive sticks are they are more fun to drive, at least in sporty cars where the extra control over the cars performance matters

integlspwr

Banned
Nov 28, 1999
I drive a stick shift.
I remember i had to learn how to drive AND learn how to drive stick shift. The way i got good at is was just going out with my friends everynight for a whole week and just to cruising around. I got really good fast.

Good Luck.

Kjazlaw

Feb 18, 2000
learning a stick is best experienced... and it's not too hard. you just have to slowly let up on the clutch until you start to feel the car move forward a little. then you know it's time to apply the gas. driving a stick is way more fun than an automatic.(unless you drive in heavy traffic daily.)

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
I drive a stick. For a living too (pizza delivery). I love it. Automatics have no response, unless they're hooked to a serious motor (250+ HP) and built to bang the gears.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'll only drive sticks now that I'm used to one. They're more fun, & offer WAY more control than an automatic transmission does. But, I learned to drive on automatics. That way all I had to worry about was driving, & not the shifting. But once I learned to drive, a stick was an easy addition. 2 weeks of driving one & you'll be completely and totally comfortable. Does it take some getting used to? Absolutely. Is it a bitch at first? Absolutely. Will it embarass the hell out of you? Absolutely. But you'll get used to it.

The biggest advantages are:

- Better performance. You can pick when and how you shift. For easy, casual driving you can let off the gas to switch gears, if you're really pushing it you can keep the RPMs up. Burnouts are a breeze, just floor the gas & drop the clutch...
- Better economy. You don't lose any power to the automatic transmission, & you can always be exactly where you want to be in the RPM range.
- They can be push started. Try doing that with an auto.
- Active, rather than passive driving. You're not just sitting there with one foot, you're actively involved with the car.

My complaints about them:

- In stop & go traffic they can become tedious.
- Starting on hills is tricky when you're not used to it. Especially when the ahole behind you pulls to within 6 inches of your rear bumper.
- They get in the way if you're with a female.
- You can't effectively hold that female's hand while driving.

Other than that they kick ass.

Doh! It was late & I was posting from Linux 'cause my Windows drive was screwed up. Of course I meant push started.

Viper GTS

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
Of course the Princess can drive a stick.:Q

Seriously...if I wasn't planning on having a family soon, and that stick wouldn't hinder me paying attention to a baby in traffic....I'd still have a stick..... wayyyyyyyyy more fun.:)

And, no I am not pregnant yet, just preparing. But if Rob and I can afford it, I will get a stick to drive for pleasure and save the Suburban for the family.:D

Princess;)

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
No problemo. At first, it will be kind of "weird". You'll slowly develop a sense of how everything works and commit all that crap to your lower brain. After a while, you can drive the stick without even thinking about it, just as easily as an auto, but you'll still have the control. (he he he, screeeeeeeeeeech:))
Don't worry about the learning curve, it'll plateau before you realize it, and you'll be steering, shifting, eating Chicken McNuggets, and drinking a Coke at the same time with no problems! I see stickshift as more of an exercise in multitasking... :D

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
A stick is not hard to learn at all... and believe me, the experience is very rewarding... It is much more fun to drive a stick, auto is boring... you have way more control over the car with a stick, and it helps you pay more attention on the road. And the best of all, it saves more gas! I would always choose a stick over auto...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Typically males have a much easier time learning to drive a stick. The way I see it, by the time they're old enough to drive they've had years of experience with a stick, hopefully their own.

:Q

Viper GTS

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
Other than the whiplash you'll get the first couple of times you go to put it in first gear??? Yeah, sticks are more fun to drive than automatics. Might be kind of hard to talk on a cell phone wiht on though. I can't say from experience, I don't/won't own a cell.

PH

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Learning to drive a stick will remind you of a mechanical bull. That's all I have to say about it.

Viper GTS

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I learned to drive stick (It's called manual in England), but then with more than 90% of cars in England being manual, it would be foolish not to. Especially, as taking your driving test in an auto only entitles you to drive auto.

My own cars have both been auto, and I would definitely get another one - unless, the particular model I want doesn't come in auto - a surprising number of cars in England don't have an auto option.

I find auto a lot easier, but then I do a lot of driving in heavy traffic, or in hilly areas, or both. A while ago, on my way to work, there would be a stretch of bumper-to-bumper traffic up a very steep hill. It always amused me, to watch the drivers in their manual cars, rolling back, stalling and swearing.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like having a stick shift. And using it in traffic can have its advantages. You can pace yourself a bit better by using the engine to slow you car down instead of your brakes. The only real downside in traffic is that your left calf will sometimes get a good workout and be in better shape than your right calf.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I haven't owned an automatic in over 12 years. Four vehicles ago. And only two vehicles total for less than a year.

My next one will be an automatic though, for a change of pace.

I really never got used to driving automatics, actually seems harder to me. I feel like I have less control. But I guess the newer automatics are much better and shift more "smarter."

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
A stick shift has some novelty factor for the first month, but after a while changing those gears will just be a b|tch. Also, stick shift cars have a tendency to get stalled, or even roll back after starting on inclines. I went for a test drive on a BMW M3 with my dad, who was doing the driving, and the damn thing kept getting stalled on expressway off-ramps. If it happens on an M3, which is one the best designed cars on the market today, it'll happen for sure on your average stick shift car.

Also, the increase in performance that you get from a stick shift is small, and the increase in fuel economy is nominal at best. Automatic transmission is a lot more "intelligent" today than it was when it came out many years ago. The 0-60 times on most cars is the same (or very close) for auto as it is for manual. And keep in mind, these benchmarks are done by professional drivers who can change gears a lot faster than you can.

Automatic transmission costs about $500-$1,000 more, but it's a very small price to pay for the convenience and benefits that you get.

riceboi5

Nov 10, 1999
Sticks only stall if you don't know how to drive. I've only stalled the car once and that was when I was learning. Clutch and Rpm coordination is key.

Sephy, there fun, but just don't drive them in heavy traffic ;)

Mariah21

Jun 13, 2000
I learned how to drive a stick the same time or before I learned how to drive an automatic. My dad took me out in his old beater truck and had me do a bunch of stuff. I have since owned one stick and the rest of my cars were automatic. they aren't hard to learn on and after a while, if you drive in an automatic, you start reaching for the clutch if you have to slam on the brake....hehe

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I learned to drive using both, but my first 4 cars were automatics. Then I found a sporty little car with a stick (the only way it should be sold) and loved it. Then I bought a truck, which is my everyday vehicle, with a manual transmission. It is definitely annoying in stop and go heavy traffic, but I don't do that much of that type of driving. Here's my two cents worth:

Advantages

1. Makes you feel like you're more in control of driving (young guys tend to really enjoy this aspect of it)

2. Better response and feeling of more power, especially if you have to buy a 4-cylinder or something with little horsepower.

3. Little better gas mileage

4. They can be push-started.

5. Friends and relatives are less likely to ask to borrow your car since most of them can't drive a stick. :)

6. I think they're better for driving in snow because you're more aware of your rpms, but some differ with me on that.

Disadvantages

1. Some embarrassing moments when you're learning.

2. Heavy traffic leads to left calf cramps. :p

3. Makes it difficult to do other things while driving, but I think you should be required to pull off the road to talk on your cell phone anyway.

4. Being stopped at a light on a steep incline can be a little aggravating if the car behind you is right on your bumper. Usually better to just keep the clutch out a little with the gas applied instead of clutch in and foot on the brake. No backrolling that way, but rough on the flywheel.

Number one advantage - if you're a young guy, you'll probably love it.

Number one disadvantage - if you have to drive in heavy traffic alot, you'll probably hate it.

As for the learning to drive. I taught my nephew in my sporty car when he had his learner's permit. You really have to learn by doing and the best way is to go to a big empty lot somewhere and practice a few times to get used to the feel of the clutch and when to change the gears before going out the road. I love my car and I love my nephew and there was NO way I was putting them together on the highway before it was time.

I took him to the high school parking lot on a Saturday and then on that Sunday. By Monday he was on the road driving and for his first vehicle he has a Ford Ranger with a stick. He loves it of course.

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
I never stall mine. EVER. Someones dad needs some practice. :)

What I do on hills to save wear and tear is apply my E brake (I have a hand lever one), and slowly engage the clutch. As soon as the motor grabs I take the brake off. I only remember to do this half the time though. It works real good.

Rebels7

Mar 5, 2000
Stick on '83 Mazda B2000 truck. It has around 300,000 miles on it and I think if it had been an automatic, that the transmission would have probably been rebuilt at least 1 time and maybe 2 times.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Since the basics of the stick shift have been covered...
It's time for a new thread.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
After you get good and polished, you can shift without the clutch:) I do it regularly with my Jeep.