Anyone know how the drain works in a Wall Unit A/C?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah I am in florida :)

Never dealt with a wallunit a/c and mine is leaving water in front of it (inside the apartment) and it's a slow drip outside so my guess is the drain is clogged. I tried taking it apart but it seems I can't get deeper into it without possibly forcing things (which may be the way you do it, or the way you break it).

I tried to get some advice locally but they all are trying to sell me a new unit instead....it's about 6 years old and works fine other than the drain.

It's a Kenmore...

Thanks

Å

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I can't offer any tips on how to clean it, but I agree your diagnosis sounds correct.

If nothing else, find out where condensation is pooling in the unit and get out a drill and drill throught case at that location.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The drain is normally just a pan on the bottom of the unit with a weep hole to the outside.
Make sure the unit is slightly tipped back so the water will drain that way.
Also make sure the filter is clean.
I should have mentioned that dripping is normal in humid environments.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
All the normal stuff is handled...

The filter is clean, the 'coils' are clean, it's not a humidity issue.

I can't get to the pan. The weep hole is on the outside just dripping slow.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
The drain is normally just a pan on the bottom of the unit with a weep hole to the outside.

This is true, but, some window units have a means of putting the condensation from the
evaporator onto the hot condenser. This will vaporize the H2O as the cooling fan for the condenser
exhausts to the outside air. This eliminates the need for a dripping drain. If yours is of this type
and you get that far into it, it may be wise to clean the condenser with an acid spray.
An aggressive alloy wheel cleaning solution would be a good bet.....:)

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: galvanizedyankee
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat

This is true, but, some window units have a means of putting the condensation from the
evaporator onto the hot condenser. This will vaporize the H2O as the cooling fan for the condenser
exhausts to the outside air.
It's called a slinger ring.