Anyone know how Netzero high speed works?

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
the only thing i could get from their webpage was this:

"NetZero HiSpeed accelerates certain web page text and graphics when compared to standard dial-up Internet service. Actual results may vary. Some web pages such as secure or encrypted web pages will not be accelerated. NetZero HiSpeed is not a broadband service and actual data transmission rates are not faster than standard dial-up Internet service. Transmission of files including, without limitation, streaming audio or video, digital photographs, MP3 or other music files, executable files and other downloads, is not faster using NetZero HiSpeed than with standard dial-up service. NetZero HiSpeed may not be compatible with proxy based software or services such as content filters or firewalls. NetZero HiSpeed is only compatible with Platinum service and specified browsers. Available only for Windows."

whats their secret? compression?

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
Not sure about the details of everything it does, but i think when it loads images on websites, like the anandtech logo at the top of the forum page, the quality is lower. Kind of like printing in draft mode =) Earthlink has had something like this for awhile also.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Nick5324
Not sure about the details of everything it does, but i think when it loads images on websites, like the anandtech logo at the top of the forum page, the quality is lower. Kind of like printing in draft mode =) Earthlink has had something like this for awhile also.

Correct. It reduces quality of all images on a sliding scale of speed vs quality. It also blocks popups and other active controls if you want to reduce overall loading times.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Mainly through extra-compressed images. It looks like ass, and doesn't increase text, or file download speeds.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i suggested it to a friend thinking that it truly was different (and faster). It works by compressing the images, and it loads them at half-ass quality. You'll get the same speed on your current connection if you disable images and only load the ones you need. It's not worth the premium they charge you. Find a way to earn an extra $20 a month on what you were going to spend for NetZero and get cable or DSL.

-=bmacd=-

NotSoSimple

Feb 14, 2004
Ya. Like Google it goes out using search-spiders, caches images on their servers. Like everyone says, they compress it and reduce the image size, resulting in faster load. So you do get what is advertised and pay for, since they dont mention image quality.