Anyone know anything about siding?

Pakman

Nov 30, 2000
Does anyone have any advice on whether I should try to fix this myself, or if I should call a professional, or if I should try to call my insurance company or if home owners warranty would cover this? I don't have any ladders at home that will reach it, which means if I'm gonna try to fix it myself, I'd have to get a really tall ladder. It's vinyl siding btw. I dunno how much it'll cost to get someone to do it for me.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Please tell me you are female. :p

Is it just a single piece of siding? If you don't want to do it yourself and your house is still "new," go ahead and call your manufacturer and see if your warranty will cover it. Filing an insurance claim for nailing a piece of siding to you house would be rediculous and wasteful.

If you have a really tall house, you should probably own a really tall ladder. Go buy one and fix it yourself. :thumbsup:

Pakman

Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger

hahaha... doing something 25 feet in the air that I have no idea on how to do doesn't exactly thrill me.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Pakman
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger

hahaha... doing something 25 feet in the air that I have no idea on how to do doesn't exactly thrill me.

Study the ones lower down to the ground to figure out how they are held on there first. Examine the piece that fell off and determine whether you will be able to put it back on or if you need to replace it with a new piece. Know what you are doing before you go up there and you minimize the time you spend on the ladder.

skimple

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2005
It came off either because it is the type of siding which is not nailed down on every strip, or the fasteners broke.

If it is the first one, it should be pretty easy to snap it back into place. Do it when it is the warmest part of the day.

If it is the second one, you should probably call someone. It will be probably cost you <$100 if you don't have to buy new pieces. If the guy shows up with his ladder and everything on the truck, offer him $50 cash to fix it on the spot. Most guys will take it if they can make a quick $50.