Anyone know anything about memory for Apple?

JESSICAR1

Oct 22, 2002
Hi

This is probably a dumb question but I just recieved a huge box full of memory for Apple and was wondering how do you tell what it is? (size or anything else)..they don't really have much on them to tell..I don't have an Apple and have no clue..any help would be appreciated or even diagrams and such..thanks in advance :)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I'm assuming you're talking about G3/G4 systems here:

Look up any standard instructions on reading memory modules(use Google os a search on the forums); Apple's use standard SDR/DDR RAM like anyone else.

JESSICAR1

Oct 22, 2002
Thanks I'll see if I can find anything..they don't seem to have much on them as far as labeling..they all came in small open bags and the labels on the bags are all the same but they don't seem to match anything ..there are numbers & codes on each block(or whatever their called) but nothing says how many megs or anything else..thanks again

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
If you're willing to take a risk, the Apple System Profiler will tell you what the specs for each stick plugged in.

JESSICAR1

Oct 22, 2002
Whats that? (system profiler) I don't have an Apple computer and they look alot smaller than my sticks of memory..thanks again

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Apple System Profiler is just that, a profiling tool on Apples for Apples.

authenticate

Nov 21, 2000
I used to have an early model iMac which uses low-profile ram. It is possible that you have these. Later models of iMac use the same ram as pcs.

JHeiderman

Jan 29, 2002
When you said they were smaller than the sticks you had now were they not as high OR not as long? If you mean they are not as long then look at them and they probably only have a notch in the middle of the connector. Apple used 72pin simms for a very very long time and that may be what you have a box full of. Go to google and search for the markings on the chips, it will tell you what they are.

- J

JESSICAR1

Oct 22, 2002
They are shorter and smaller (height & length) then the pc memory (PC100 sdram) that I have...some of the strips have 8 blocks and some have 2...what markings would I try to look up? thanks in advance :)